Remember that cult that picketed your con?

Started by HerpDerpMcSlurp, March 25, 2014, 09:18:48 PM

HerpDerpMcSlurp

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,15309.60.html
Didn't want to bump the old thread cuz I knew I'd catch flack for "thread necromancy."

Quote from: RowanRavensong on May 24, 2011, 10:57:21 AM
Quote from: HerpDerpMcSlurp on May 23, 2011, 07:59:36 PM
I sent them an email with a link to FurtherConfusion, lol...

OH GAWURSH! Thats going to be a field day for them XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XR-GwWdcXM
They did it... they picketed FC. I honestly didn't
think that they would do it. Should I feel bad?
I mean, I pretty much just threw a bee hive
onto my own kind... all for the sake of lulz.
Now these assholes will probably keep coming
back just because of how big a reaction the
furries give to their shenanigans.

I like this quote from QuentinCoyote:

"So, I'm not sure if this is clear to you from the video, but, this was taking place at a furry convention, right across the street from the main entrance. So, yes, we were there doing our own thing, minding our own business, and then this guy sets up shop across the street, and being all loud and disruptive with his yelling about the bible this and the bible that. So, yes, I think that we were perfectly in the right to do what we did. I'm not a Christian. I don't need Christianity to be forced down my throat when I'm just out minding my own business. So, no, I do not think that "just strictly <street> preaching" is "fine", at all. I think that it is always annoying and disruptive, and it makes me dislike him and people like that. However, on the other hand, this is a free country, and yes, he is therefore allowed to say whatever he wants there in a public space. BUT, so are we. And, so we did. It's pretty much as simple as that. Hate both if you like, but, to say that street preacher is fine, but the furries are being annoying, is a little bit disingenuous, I think."

Lucifargundam

I wonder if theyre gonna show up this year now that whathisface died...

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

thepsynergist

Quote from: Lucifargundam on April 07, 2014, 09:28:34 PM
I hope so.  I remember a couple years ago, there were a few Jesus cosplayers giving them hugs.

Gatsby

I hope not, while they are good for a laugh, the amount of effort the Rovers need to put in to ensuring the con  goers don't break rules/laws is ridiculous. Furthermore, it gets to be a traffic congestion if police show up to ensure things don't escalate. I mean, the cops and rovers are pretty lenient, but it's such a waste of time and energy for everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of fun messing with these jerks such as the year my Tetris block group caused a huge character battle starting with me ramming the Rubik's cube girl or the year I was offering to make out with guy right next to the protesters, so I know I've wasted plenty of time on them. But in a way they are part of the con as much as the other gatherings. And hell, they can bring spontaneous fun. The aforementioned character battle went on for an hour or so and everyone stopped paying attention to the protesters and focused on us or even joined in.

Glitch

Quote from: Lucifargundam on April 07, 2014, 09:28:34 PM
Most likely since they are not part of the westboro baptist church. Their group is called "cry to god".
http://www.crytogod.com/

The main difference is that they don't picket as controversial places like people's funerals. But they make up for that by being very loud and annoying even compared to the wbc.

heeroyuy135

I'm cool with the people who just hold signs and don't say much beyond the "God bless" type of messages.
It's when they break out the bullhorns and start heckling the crowd (like at Fanime) is when they get really "annoying."

deonchan

Quote from: Darth_Diclonius on May 09, 2014, 12:11:45 PM
I hope not, while they are good for a laugh, the amount of effort the Rovers need to put in to ensuring the con  goers don't break rules/laws is ridiculous.

Yup.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

Lucifargundam

I didn't see them this year. Did they show up after all?

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

Imperial

They did, and long story short, they most likely won't come back unless they want legal action and lose. I don't want to say more due to full knowledge, I just know bits to the story.