Looking for Artist Alley Tablet available for sharing

Started by l3reezer, March 28, 2014, 06:13:03 PM

l3reezer

Hey all,
I seem to have missed the registration period for the Artist Alley and am still feeling a bit resentful about it, really, since I've been on the look out since December and it just happened to pass by in the span of two days, with only a one day prior announcement,
but I digress.
In any case, if there's anyone out there who would be willing to share a table they already have secured, that'd be great news for me. In terms of prior experience, I've table'd at Fanime once before, which was last year, and at AnimeExpo once before too. I wouldn't say I'm too knowledged about it whatsoever, but I loved my first experience enough to really want to give it another go. I didn't have the pleasure of making any friends through the experience so hopefully this request will help me with that additionally.
For some more extensive personal information about myself and some samples of my artwork, you can check out my blog, store and or other domains online
http://l3reezer.tumblr.com/ / http://l3reezer.tumblr.com/art
http://l3reezer.storenvy.com/ http://l3reezer.deviantart.com/

tl;dr F@CK I MISSED THE REGISTRATION EVEN THOUGH I'VE BEEN PREPARING FOR AA FOR FOREVER, IF YOU CAN DO ME A SOLID THAT'D BE VERY APPRECIATED THANKS
On tumblr with the same username.

chibimonster

Dude. This isn't 4chan. That much rudeness and hostility is completely uncalled for. EDIT: post in question was deleted (yay)

People don't know if they have tables yet. You'd be better off asking once the staff actualy makes the decision on who actually gets tables. Right now nobody knows for sure if they have a table, so asking to share right now won't really do anything. If you wait a couple weeks and then try to contact people who've definitely gotten tables you might have better luck.

If not, there's always next year.

summerchristmas838

Holy crap 2nd poster is a total tosser. Nobody wants that shit here, go the hell away. (Oh good it's gone now awesome).

Like previous person said nobody has table confirmations yet because right now they're doing the judging (fingers crossed!). I have no idea what the logistics for pull-in table mates/business license changes are or if they're even allowed (actually thinking about it being two separate artists probably means two different licenses so that's probably not a problem IT'S PRETTY CLEAR I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING RIGHT). Anyways, assuming they actually allow pull-in table splits, and assuming they actually accept my application (gross sobbing), I might want someone to help alleviate the table cost, not positive yet.

Also your tumblr art tag link isn't working, http://l3reezer.tumblr.com/tagged/my_art might be better?

l3reezer

Ah right, guess it's never too early to get the request out there though.
Thanks for the responses.

@summerchristmas838
Yeah, somewhere on the guidelines there is some description about joint table sharing, but I don't think it specifies anything about adding an another after securing the table with one person. In any case, glad you're even considering sharing, so please do let me know if you make your mind.
Thanks again~

Typo in original post
http://l3reezer.tumblr.com/mart or http://l3reezer.tumblr.com/tagged/my_art should work fine

cutiebunny

Am I the only one who is surprised that there aren't more similar comments on Fanime's FB page and here?  It sounds like a lot of people missed out as Fanime gave less than a week's notice.

Either everyone who wanted to partake in the AA applied (obviously not the case), or things are getting deleted.

ewu

Nope. I'm a forum mod and AA FB mod. No posts on the FB have been deleated and the trash bin on the forums has no deleated AA posts except the first very rude and inappropriate response to thus thread.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

l3reezer

I certainly thought it strange as well. After finding out about the registration opening (6 hours after it closed), I went and checked the singlular posts posted a day prior on Facebook and Twitter respectively and to my surprise noticed that they both only had about 30 comments/retweets. Seeing as there are almost 300 table slots for AA, I guess it's just a weird occurrence of really low social network usage amongst this demographic. That, or maybe a lot of people have yet to notice those posts at all, after all, it still hasn't been even a week since it first opened. And I guess this time coincides with a lot of Spring Break vacations and whatnot.

belligerent

I know a lot of AA people who would have applied but had already made commitments to other cons the same weekend that don't make them as much money or give them as much exposure but were surer bets.  It's a bit late in the game to be making flight arrangements, especially with no guarantee that you will have either hotel space OR table space.  So it's possible that a lot of AA people have just written off Fanime as a con not to attend at this point.

It's also possible that people haven't seen that it had already opened and closed since it was a short window of time, especially between the notification of its opening and its actual opening.  And the original info did say that it was being left open for a week...but then it was only open 48 hours...  So maybe people haven't had the time to realize it's closed to be annoyed.  I would expect more angry feedback to happen next week. 

Good luck to people who applied and good luck finding a tablemate.  I didn't apply, but it's mainly because I don't like flying with stock and because fanime is a hangout con for me and not necessarily due to policy changes, although I do think the delays this year have been ill-advised. 

ewu

Well with the competitiveness of the FCFS system in the past, I think those interested in participating in AA have become very aware of social media and have been closely tracking the developments online. Both a good and a bad thing but Fanine's AA artists seem to be some of the most educated and up-to-date attendees of Fanime.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

l3reezer

@belligerent
I'm a Bay Area local so while I haven't quite experienced the ins and outs of doing something like AA on a nationwide scale, I can definitely understand the required preemption there. Thanks for the condolences, maybe we'll bump into each other as fellow hangoutters come con-weekend

@ewu
While I'm tempted to both agree and disagree with you about Fanime's AA participants being an educated and social-savvy bunch because I guess that's a group that was inclusive of myself before 2 days ago but also because I wouldn't want to be so narcissistic as to say that, either way I don't think it really justifies how the registration process went down this year. Every announcement prior to AA was done much before a day prior (general con registration, hotel housing, amv contest submissions, maid cafe, fan panels, etc.). What's more, all of these are still up and available for registration. (Even in a tweet from January 15th regarding Dealers Hall, there's a final tidbit about Artist Alley info coming later.) As belligerent mentioned, the original AA info said that the registration process would be one week as well, but it was truncated to an abrupt 48 hours. So yeah, while people can generally be very attentive when they're serious and committed about doing something, I don't think it's a proper excuse to put less effort into cooperating with them so that things run even more smoothly or to pretty much lie to them.

Admiral Donuts

Personally I'm still curious as to why they had a 48 hour window instead of just saying "Submissions must be in by March 28th"

chibimonster

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on March 30, 2014, 09:41:39 PM
Personally I'm still curious as to why they had a 48 hour window instead of just saying "Submissions must be in by March 28th"

Probably because they needed a set ending time and "by March 28th" is way too general - it could mean anything from "by midnight on the 28th" to "by midnight on the 29th". 48 hours is a nice, even, non-confusing time frame.

I'm not really sure why they thought a week was excessive. Other conventions, such as AOD, give people a week to apply for a table.

SquishyK

Quote from: chibimonster on March 30, 2014, 10:26:13 PM

Probably because they needed a set ending time and "by March 28th" is way too general - it could mean anything from "by midnight on the 28th" to "by midnight on the 29th". 48 hours is a nice, even, non-confusing time frame.

I'm not really sure why they thought a week was excessive. Other conventions, such as AOD, give people a week to apply for a table.

Having followed info on AA rather obsessively I can say the reason was probably a combination of AA going up so late to begin with and general concern that the Jury process would be time consuming so best to have a short application period to get jury selection started ASAP. Many people are concerned about ordering prints and having them ready on time, booking flights far enough in advance to get a good rate, and craft artists having to make additional product. So yeah, 48 hours sounded sufficient given that the old time limit was essentially 10 minutes.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

SquishyK

On AA's facebook page they said they would be evaluating art "By table" meaning that selection will be based on both artists or the solo artist if they will have a table to themselves. This leads me to believe it is unlikely they will allow artists to add people to their table (otherwise artists that are worried they would hurt their usual table partners chance of getting in would just wait to be added until after the table is assigned and just generally open the system up for abuse). But this is the sort of thing you might want to try emailing AA about to get clarification.

Tested/MythBusters:

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: chibimonster on March 30, 2014, 10:26:13 PM

Well, they could have just as easily said 11:59 PM 28 March 2014. My point is I genuinely don't see the point in having a window vice a cut-off time. What's the worst that would happen, someone would be able to submit early?

chibimonster

Quote from: pitin on March 30, 2014, 10:56:17 PM
On AA's facebook page they said they would be evaluating art "By table" meaning that selection will be based on both artists or the solo artist if they will have a table to themselves. This leads me to believe it is unlikely they will allow artists to add people to their table (otherwise artists that are worried they would hurt their usual table partners chance of getting in would just wait to be added until after the table is assigned and just generally open the system up for abuse). But this is the sort of thing you might want to try emailing AA about to get clarification.

What if someone was approved as an individual and wanted to add someone who was put on the waiting list (but could get a table in the lottery)? I would assume that would be ok. Not sure about adding someone who hadn't even applied though...

phr34kish

Quote from: chibimonster on March 31, 2014, 12:09:41 AM
What if someone was approved as an individual and wanted to add someone who was put on the waiting list (but could get a table in the lottery)? I would assume that would be ok. Not sure about adding someone who hadn't even applied though...

It's been stated before that the selection process isn't a lottery but a judging process so that all the people approved for tables meet a minimum level of quality. So if you asked to add someone from the wait list to your table I'm assuming it would be the AA staff's decision to either approve or deny the request based on the perceived "quality level" of their work and the rest of the work in the AA. It is a sliding scale however so that minimum bar will raise and lower based on the number of applicants, making it hard to make any assumptions at this point.

It might be best to email AA directly if you're worried though. Especially since none of the approvals have been sent out yet, we're all kindof in a limbo state as to what's going on until that happens.

SquishyK

Quote from: phr34kish on March 31, 2014, 08:40:42 AM
Quote from: chibimonster on March 31, 2014, 12:09:41 AM

It's been stated before that the selection process isn't a lottery but a judging process so that all the people approved for tables meet a minimum level of quality.

I believe the lottery chibimonster is referring to would be that after tables have been assigned if for any reason an artist is not able to complete their application (provide payment and seller's permit) a replacement will be selected via lottery from the artists deemed to meet minimum quality standards and adherence to AA rules.

Tested/MythBusters:

1karina902

Hi all,

I didn't know the deadline for AA came up so soon. I just have some EXO t-shirts to sell and was wondering if anyone would like to share their table(small corner), help me sell(I'm staffing) and take a cut of the sales.

Please let me know if you're interested! Twitter @1karina902 or message me here

Thanks!

l3reezer

Hey all, I have some disconcerting news for anyone in a similar position as me. I decided to go ahead and inquire myself about the possibility of even sharing (in the event that you didn't even make it in time to apply for a table) and send an e-mail to the AA staff.

According to the response
Since you did not apply during the application window, you may not share a table. Sharing tables is not a way to avoid the application deadline.

Really, it seems like it boils down to the staff being overwhelmed with the number of applications and even more so reviewing them in regard to the new AA system's standards. In any case, if you're in the same position as me, I'd recommend you try shooting the staff an e-mail yourself. The above quoted wasn't the first response to my e-mail and to be honest the first reply seemed to imply the opposite. I would just assume that there's a communication problem in general so do your best to reach out to people for valid information, even if assertively so