Photographers?

Started by pinknekophiliac, April 20, 2014, 02:24:02 AM

pinknekophiliac

Not sure where to post/find the answer to this question, but awhile back there used to be a thread for people trying to find photographers to meet up with to get pictures of their cosplays taken and vice versa...

Is that still a thing just under a different category or no?

Thanks in advance.

phr34kish

I don't ever remember seeing it as a thing but you might have better luck asking the Cosplay Gatherings department.  You can email them at: gatherings (AT) fanime (DOT) com

pinknekophiliac

Quote from: phr34kish on April 22, 2014, 01:57:00 PM
I don't ever remember seeing it as a thing but you might have better luck asking the Cosplay Gatherings department.  You can email them at: gatherings (AT) fanime (DOT) com

It was definitely a thing, at least back in 2008. I know because I had a friend who was a photographer at Fanime for years and I helped him out during Fanime 2008 and he was the one who introduced me to that portion in the Fanime forums at the time. It could very well have been a singular thread though instead of a whole section, but it was definitely a place for photographers to post that they would be taking pictures at Fanime and for anyone who wanted pro pics taken to post as well.

In any case, thank you for responding and I'll make sure to e-mail them. :)

Nina Star 9

You might be able to make a single thread about looking for photographers. I know there is a stickied thread for cosplayers seeking other cosplayers, but since there isn't one for photographers and cosplayers seeking each other, it might be something that would be needed. Email the gatherings department or PM a mod and see if one can be made.

Otherwise, I tend to find photographers through other sites, like cosplay.com or ACP. A lot of photographers have Facebook, as well, though I'm not familiar with the site so I can't tell you how to find them unless you already know who they are. It's pretty easy to find cosplay photos you like from previous Fanimes (whether of yourself or other people) and then find a way to contact the person who took those photos. Many photographers post up email addresses, if you don't have an account on any sites that they do (like Facebook, DA, ACP, etc.).

Once you have started working with photographers, even ones that simply pull you aside at a con and do a small impromptu shoot, you'll probably start making connections (or at the very least receiving business cards with info about how to contact the photog), and it'll be easier to arrange planned shoots in the future, since you'll build a rapport with photographers. Before that happens, though, you'll just have to seek some out and put yourself out there. :]

(If you have no idea how to even start looking for photogs, use a site like ACP or photo threads from last year's con on sites like cosplay.com and these forums to find photos that you like and are in a style that would compliment your cosplay, and see if there is a way to contact the photographer. You can also do simple internet searches on previous cons [try keywords like "fanime 2013 cosplay" under an image search, or "fanime 2013 photo"/"grapher" on a web search] or even this year's con [if photogs have their con schedules posted and it has been indexed by the search engine of your choice] to find photographers.)

Good luck! :]

ARATA

I'm a photographer and was wondering about this too ><

Anyways if you're interested for a shoot, feel free to check my portfolio
I have also posted a thread on cosplay.com

Dare9179

Arata- I'm interested in a photographer to take my Tiger and Bunny pictures.

MagentaPikachu

Hey, photographer here, looking to book some shoots during my "out of cosplay" time.  Here is a link to my photo page on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Connor-Wenrich-Photography/321865991177502

asgimaging