First fanime and trying to have fun, meet people and make new friends

Started by starrdylan, April 20, 2014, 01:58:45 PM

starrdylan

This is going to be my first famine and most of the conventions I have been to thus far have been pretty good, but I want to make my famine experience to be awesome sauce.  I will be also in a way celebrating my 26th birthday as well at the convention so I would love to meet new people, and make some new friends.  So if anyone wants to get together or have some advise on how to take full advantage of my famine experience please let me know.

keitoghostie

First off, as much as I would love to contribute to the friends thing, I'm generally booked as far as hanging outs go because a lot of people I know attend Fanime (and I probably wouldn't be very fun as a result)
However, I definitely have advice for having fun at Fanime:

• Make a point to attend at least a couple events that sound interesting! Panels, MusicFest, dances, cosplay gatherings, etc etc
  • Don't ignore your basic needs - stay hydrated, fed, and rested
  • Everyone has their own way of enjoying the convention so don't feel bad for doing or not doing anything (as long as it's not harmful to others!! You seem like a reasonable person but it bears repeating just in case)
  • Stick to a budget - what really helps me is taking out cash from an ATM prior to the con and relying on mostly that so I have a tangible way of seeing how much I'm spending on food, merchandise, etc
  • Also if there's any series that you're particularly a fan of, attending the gatherings is a great way to meet fans - I've made friends by being nice and outgoing and having a shared interest!

Not sure what else but in general there is a LOT to do so it's easy to have fun and also easy to potentially get burnt out so take it at a good pace and enjoy yourself!

starrdylan

Thanks Keitoghostie,  I appreciate your advise, this is the first con I plan not to solo it alone, I am bringing friends and planning to make new ones.  So thanks any bit helps.

Kell-chan

Hi starrdylan,

First off, happy birthday! Secondly, keitoghostie really gave all the practical advise I could offer. A 24-hour con is an amazing but also rather dangerous thing in terms of taking care of oneself. :)

Lastly, my group and I are always down to meet new people. We're in the 27-29 year-old range ourselves. We'll have two younger friends with us, and it's their first Fanime as well, so we're already planning out an awesome con for them. You're more than welcome to meet up with us if you'd like!

~Kell

ash

Quote from: Kell-chan on May 06, 2014, 06:13:43 PM
Hi starrdylan,

First off, happy birthday! Secondly, keitoghostie really gave all the practical advise I could offer. A 24-hour con is an amazing but also rather dangerous thing in terms of taking care of oneself. :)

Lastly, my group and I are always down to meet new people. We're in the 27-29 year-old range ourselves. We'll have two younger friends with us, and it's their first Fanime as well, so we're already planning out an awesome con for them. You're more than welcome to meet up with us if you'd like!

~Kell

Exactly what kell said except 26-30 years old hahaha oh ya and if you plan on buying anything at con like anime and what not make sure you go to the swapmeet on thurs or Friday or both if you can. That's where you find all the good deals. And its only on those two days from 7:30pm till I think 12ish so don't blow all your money on Friday in the dealers hall because that stuff will still be there on Monday but the swapmeet sells their stuff fast and most are their only copy.

starrdylan

First off thank you keitoghostie, Kell-chan, and Ash, for your guys advise and Kell-Chan I would love to meet up with your group at homeport during the and thanks for the invite.  And Sorry for the delay in response I had a new addition to my oversized family recently so I have been a little distracted. 

Kell-chan

Quote from: starrdylan on May 10, 2014, 10:58:48 PM
First off thank you keitoghostie, Kell-chan, and Ash, for your guys advise and Kell-Chan I would love to meet up with your group at homeport during the and thanks for the invite.  And Sorry for the delay in response I had a new addition to my oversized family recently so I have been a little distracted.

No worries! We're around all four days of the con (we're checking in/picking up badges Thursday so probably pretty busy), so any time is fine by us. We're planning a gathering on Saturday afternoon, but we're pretty much down for anything any other time. Any specific time/location work for you?

starrdylan

So far I should be free the friends I was planning on coming down with got won't be able to make it now due to work so I totally would be down on hanging out  and I am bringing my car down so any location works for me.  And as for timing I am still trying to figure that out keep me posted.