Cancellation deadline?

Started by okiedokiejones, April 25, 2014, 09:01:35 PM

okiedokiejones

The reservation email says the 25th is the final day to cancel, but when I checked the hotel site, it says the deadline has already passed. So is there already a penalty for canceling?

Emma Iveli

Damn it! IT WAS EASTERN TIME! WHAT THE HELL!

okiedokiejones

This was even before it should've been Eastern time deadline. :/

Emma Iveli

Well I canceled my room (I got a backup room at the Marriot just incase the wait list didn't go through, but it's so much more expensive)... The e-mail I got claims I canceled on today's date... I hope so, because if it did't my dad's going to complain about it, not the whole thing about the date but not specifying the time. He might also get the state involved because not specifying the time of the deadline is illegal.

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Emma Iveli on April 25, 2014, 09:13:38 PM
Damn it! IT WAS EASTERN TIME! WHAT THE HELL!

Seriously, what THE HELL.

echoshadow

Lol not sure if you guys where being sarcastic or not. 

If you where the person that booked the room then you should have received a duplicate email back in the week of 4/14/14. It clearly said the deadline was on 4/25/14 with out penalty. As it also said when you first booked the room back in February.   If you canceled today via online or phone you should had received a cancelation email.

If you cancel after the 25th you could get the one day penalty charge.
It's not that hard to understand it. But FYI it's always better to call. Online can be a bit of a mess.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Emma Iveli

Quote from: echoshadow on April 25, 2014, 10:01:17 PM
Lol not sure if you guys where being sarcastic or not. 

If you where the person that booked the room then you should have received a duplicate email back in the week of 4/14/14. It clearly said the deadline was on 4/25/14 with out penalty. As it also said when you first booked the room back in February.   If you canceled today via online or phone you should had received a cancelation email.

If you cancel after the 25th you could get the one day penalty charge.
It's not that hard to understand it. But FYI it's always better to call. Online can be a bit of a mess.

There is a problem though... you always have to factor in time zones, all the e-mails and the websites say is "The 25th" but not the time, It doens't say by 11:59 PM EST or if you have to do by 6 PM PST (the time the calling center closes)... no all it says is the 25th...

Even the confermation I got from the Marriot says the exact time of the deadline for me to cancel (6:00 PM)...

What they did is sloppy and maybe even illegal...

EJAY420

Yeah about that...... Why would you wait till the last min? This shizo should been top priority in the morning.  Time management homie.
Most Impressive.

Emma Iveli

Quote from: EJAY420 on April 25, 2014, 10:15:27 PM
Yeah about that...... Why would you wait till the last min? This shizo should been top priority in the morning.  Time management homie.

When I cancel, I lose my spot on the wait list... I might have a back up room, but it's three times more expenive than getting a room through fanime...

echoshadow

Have to agree too. It's was clearly written when first booked, then again when they sent out emails the week before. And pretty much all over FB an Fanime's web site.  It wasn't sloppy or illegal in any way.

Besides if you got the cancelation email (which you said you did) then you're in the clear. No worries about any penalties.

It's always a gamble when you're on the wait list for the closer hotels. I faced that same problem last year, I got a room over by clockwork location and waited till 3:00pm to see if any spots opens. Luckily my room mate got a spot at the Hilton so I canceled mine.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

punpun

I actually called yesterday and asked if cancellation would be over by the time phone lines were over (6pm PST) and she explicitly said "You can still cancel online until 11:59 PST". I didn't even think to doubt this considering the convention are on PST. The operator even left to double check, so... welp.

My email definitely says I cancelled on the 25th however, so hopefully everything is going to be all right.

I, like the OP, was waiting as long as possible since I really needed the second room I was waitlisted for.

Emma Iveli

Quote from: punpun on April 25, 2014, 11:38:39 PM
I, like the OP, was waiting as long as possible since I really needed the second room I was waitlisted for.

I'm not the OP... I just ended up getting a lot of attention...

Admiral Donuts

Because you're waiting to see if other people will cancel and if you'll get a room you're waitlisted for. Why would you NOT want to wait until the last minute if there's still a chance you'll get the room you actually want?

EJAY420

Admiral, look how things turned out for them. Dont encourage that.
Most Impressive.

Emma Iveli

Quote from: EJAY420 on April 26, 2014, 02:31:06 PM
Admiral, look how things turned out for them. Dont encourage that.

This is the first time on the waitlist for me... all other years I booked, I manged to get good hotel rooms, how was I supposed to know there was a mix up if they didn't post the time...