Older crowd meetup?

Started by camivette, April 30, 2014, 06:53:34 PM

camivette

Hi guys. I'm 32 and my husband is 34. We both have been anime fans since childhood and we love coming to Fanime. It's fun to see all the younger fans having the best time ever and we have a lot of younger friends, so we aren't trying to be exclusionary, but I was wondering if anyone was interested in an older fan meetup.

It's nice to get together with other people that can reminisce about when fansubs used to be on VHS bootlegs and the Sci-fi channel used to show anime on Saturday mornings. When I talk to younger fans about how we used to import anime laserdisks they look at me like I'm insane. We can talk about Gunbuster, Tenchi, Slayers, and whatever other old school anime we used to watch.

We could meet up for a coffee or whatever. I'm open to suggestion.
In the name of the moon, I'll punish you!

Admiral Donuts

As a fellow old fogey that sounds kinda neat.

EJAY420

Would be nice to have a Fanime Alumni thing going on here. I also grew up with this special event. As an adult I always take my vacation during the con. :-)
Most Impressive.

ash

This sounds pretty cool it'd be nice meet people around our age hahaha

Anon

I might be up for this, time/day?

Rinoa Werre

Sounds like fun! do you have a day or time yet? I've been wanting to get together with an older crowd, considering I'm 47. Will this be a cosplay meet up?

ash

Well I'm going to be there all 5 days so pretty much any day is fine as long as another event I'm doing isn't going on.

Rurutie8

For future consideration, at some other conventions, this would be a panel.

Ryoga_The_Lost

I'm down to meet people.  This is my first anime convention here in NorCal.  I would like to meet new people and hang out.  So what's the FINAL time/place??

guyver20

I'm open to most things, but a bar, pub, or sushi would be nice too.

Frozen_Aura

I'm 31 and like the idea. Meeting like-minded new faces is one reason I look forward to Con. Day/time/place?

Anon

I'm guessing the OP forgot about this, their last login was April 30th. Anybody wanna take charge and propose a time/place? I'd suggest maybe tomorrow or Saturday if Friday is too short notice. Is anywhere at the con a good idea or maybe somewhere nearby and offsite?

guyver20

I suggest Fuji sushi tonight at 6 or tomorrow sunday

charsknight

I would love to meet up this sounds like fun. Me and my friends who are attending are around the same age.

echoshadow

Quote from: charsknight on January 23, 2015, 01:51:56 PM
I would love to meet up this sounds like fun. Me and my friends who are attending are around the same age.
Your a little late there bro. Sadly I don't think this meet up ever happened.
Maybe if some one wants to head this for this years Fanime. But the way things go around Fanime non cosplay meet ups are either few or never happened.

Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

charsknight

sad. ah well some other time!

YaoiCat

Sounds fun, maybe we can try it for this year's con :)

Jebus

If this starts up again and I manage to get a room, I'd be down. It'd be great to talk with some people that are interested in more than the usual shonen/harem show I almost always wind up having to talk about

LogicallySound

I'm 30 and would be totally down for this. I always feel out of place at cons because it seems like everyone is so much younger than me.   :(

FanFicGuru

Nearly 30 years old here as well - sounds fun!  :D
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015