Win a Playstation 4 or Similar Item

Started by Rurutie8, April 30, 2014, 10:26:14 PM

Rurutie8

WIN A PLAYSTATION 4 OR SIMILAR ITEM AT THE EXTREMELY HARD TAKE-HOME ANIME QUIZ!  This is a multiple-choice, open-book, take-home quiz that begins on this site three weeks before the convention.  You can look up anything you want to get the answer.  The questions are so hard that you probably will not know any of the answers from memory.  Instead, you will need to do research into the real world of such topics as art, geography, history, literature, music and science.  Hopefully, this will give you a better appreciation of what goes on in anime and some of the hidden meanings behind the material.

I ran this event at Sakura Con.  You can see examples of the questions under Programming at their web site and clicking on Contests.

Rurutie8

Here are the times and places for this event.

1.  There will be a question and answer panel on Friday, May 23, 2014, from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. in Panels 4.  This will be your chance to ask qeustions about this event.  We will not be providing answers to quistions on the quiz.  If you are feeling particularly confident, you may turn in your quiz at that time or skip this session entirely.

2.  The last chance you will have to turn in your quiz will be on Sunday, May 25, 2014, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. in the Fan Events Room.

3.  On Monday, May 26, 2014, from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., in the Fan Events Room, I will hand back the corrected quizzes, go over the answers and award the prizes.

The quiz will be posted very soon on the Fanime web site.

If you have any questions, you can also ask me here.

otakuya

questionette

EJAY420

Count me in! Id like to try something new. :-)
Most Impressive.

Rurutie8

otakuya

lovepulse

So I'm stuck on one question.  I'm stuck on many actually lol, but I'm like baffled by one question.  I have a bunch of research on it, but the multiple choices don't seem to add up.  I'm stuck between two actually, and I think the real answer isn't among the choices.  Is it all right to PM you my research and why I think my answer is the right choice?  You don't have to give me the answer obviously.  Just say something like "I made this quiz, I'm like a gajillion times smarter than you.  You used the word gajillion, which isn't even a word.  Hence, proves my point how much smarter I am.  I'm right."

Or something like that would help.  Like it's not against the rules is it?  My answer isn't even in the choices.

Rurutie8

Quote from: lovepulse on May 08, 2014, 12:09:05 AM
So I'm stuck on one question.  I'm stuck on many actually lol, but I'm like baffled by one question.  I have a bunch of research on it, but the multiple choices don't seem to add up.  I'm stuck between two actually, and I think the real answer isn't among the choices.  Is it all right to PM you my research and why I think my answer is the right choice?  You don't have to give me the answer obviously.  Just say something like "I made this quiz, I'm like a gajillion times smarter than you.  You used the word gajillion, which isn't even a word.  Hence, proves my point how much smarter I am.  I'm right."

Or something like that would help.  Like it's not against the rules is it?  My answer isn't even in the choices.

I like the way you are thinking.  Write or draw pictures of your thought process on the quiz next to the question and I will give it due consideration.  I also say to read the wording of the question very carefully.  This also holds true for everyone else who is working on the quiz.

ash

This quiz is hardcore hahaha it took me forever just to answer one question

lovepulse

So when we turn in the quiz, can we write down explanations for our answers in the quiz?  It won't be long, probably just a short sentence or two.  Some answers are relatively straightforward (like what is this song?)  But other questions require quite a bit of thinking. 

Thanks so much for reading that long PM.

Rurutie8

Quote from: lovepulse on May 08, 2014, 08:25:32 AM
So when we turn in the quiz, can we write down explanations for our answers in the quiz?  It won't be long, probably just a short sentence or two.  Some answers are relatively straightforward (like what is this song?)  But other questions require quite a bit of thinking. 

Thanks so much for reading that long PM.
I love it when people write down their explanations or simply just their opinions.  If your explanation is particularly good, I may, with your permission, ask you to explain the answer in Monday's panel.

lovepulse

Awesome xD I keep wanting to write explanations on my answer choices because I don't know if they are right... but now I have permission to do so xD cool!  I'll try to make them as concise as possible, so they're not all over the pages.  Just want you to know if they don't have explanations it's not because I have no clue what the answers are btw and I'm just gambling on my 25% chance which is better than my 0% chance of knowing the answer...nope.  Not guessing.  At all...

Btw, on the rules, I think there is a date typo on #15.  It says Sunday, April 20, 2014. o.O

Second btw, thanks so much for making the quiz.  It's super hard, but it's pretty fun.

Rurutie8

For those of you participating in the Extremely Hard Take-Home Anime Quiz, you have two weeks left. How are you doing?  What do you think of it?

For the rest of you, it is still not too late to try to win a PS4 or similar item. Just go to the Fanime web site and look for it under Events and Panels.

If there are tied scores, the tiebreaker will be the time that I received the quiz.

Rurutie8

Everyone, you have about one week left.  Since the questions are multiple choice, you can guess.  Remember, you do not have to get every question right.  You just have to get more correct than the next entry.  The last time I ran this event at Fanime, one contestant failed to turn in his quiz on time so he scored a zero.  Still, since only one other person showed up at Monday's session, he won the second place prize of a $100.00 gift card to Fry's.  So how hard can this quiz really be?

You can ask anyone you want to help you.  Essentially, you have an unlimited phone a friend ability.  If you do not have enough time to work on this quiz, the rules allow you to have a third party work on it and you can put your name and badge number on the paper when you turn it in.  Just make sure that you show up on Monday's panel to claim your prize and that your name and number on the quiz matches that on your badge.

lovepulse

I'm working on this with one other person, and we're trying to get a good score, but it might not happen due to the difficult nature of the quiz.  We might have to resort to the 25% chance if we don't get some of these questions by Thursday.

I have a few more questions about the quiz:

1.  Both of us will (sadly) be unable to attend the Friday Q&A panel, since both of us work and cannot take the day off.  We want to turn in our quiz at this time, so is it all right for a sister to turn in our quiz for us?

2.  For #10, I tried rewording my question many times, but it just sounds like BS, so I'm just going to ask it straight out.  I'm going to call them letters.  Does the time the letters' costumes appear in the dynasty factor in the order they appear in the multiple choices?  Or is it just "oh this is Han Dynasty"? orthey'rebothHanDynasty

I understand if you can't answer this question.  I'm not too sure how to reword it so it's easier for you to answer.

3 not a question.  I really wish I was still in college, because then I could just ask the art history professors... (guess what questions we're stuck on)

4.  That's about all the questions we have at the moment.  We don't want to ask too much, since there is a Q&A panel coming already, but we can't make it, so is it all right to ask some of our questions here? 

Btw, we still don't know have the answer to #18, but I feel like we've been put on some kind of radar :C

Rurutie8

Quote from: lovepulse on May 20, 2014, 11:28:57 AM
I'm working on this with one other person, and we're trying to get a good score, but it might not happen due to the difficult nature of the quiz.  We might have to resort to the 25% chance if we don't get some of these questions by Thursday.

I have a few more questions about the quiz:

1.  Both of us will (sadly) be unable to attend the Friday Q&A panel, since both of us work and cannot take the day off.  We want to turn in our quiz at this time, so is it all right for a sister to turn in our quiz for us?

2.  For #10, I tried rewording my question many times, but it just sounds like BS, so I'm just going to ask it straight out.  I'm going to call them letters.  Does the time the letters' costumes appear in the dynasty factor in the order they appear in the multiple choices?  Or is it just "oh this is Han Dynasty"? orthey'rebothHanDynasty

I understand if you can't answer this question.  I'm not too sure how to reword it so it's easier for you to answer.

3 not a question.  I really wish I was still in college, because then I could just ask the art history professors... (guess what questions we're stuck on)

4.  That's about all the questions we have at the moment.  We don't want to ask too much, since there is a Q&A panel coming already, but we can't make it, so is it all right to ask some of our questions here? 

Btw, we still don't know have the answer to #18, but I feel like we've been put on some kind of radar :C

I am glad to see that you are taking this quiz seriously.

1.  You may have your sister turn in your quiz for you.  Just make sure that your name and badge number are on it.  Don't forget to show up on Monday's session.

2.  The letters do not factor in the order that the costume appears in the question.

Please feel free to ask additional questions here.

dankeykang

I think I found a spelling error on #24 because I couldn't find any ward that was called "Nisahi".

Rurutie8

Quote from: glorificus on May 21, 2014, 01:19:56 AM
I think I found a spelling error on #24 because I couldn't find any ward that was called "Nisahi".

You are right.  It should be Nishi.

lovepulse

Thanks for your reply.

For #36, choice b says "deep under Mount Fuji".  Did you mean directly underneath the mountain or did you mean underneath a layer of Mt. Fuji?

Thanks again xD