FanimeCon 2014 Karaoke Contest Rules

Started by Hank-KKD, May 06, 2014, 10:13:05 PM

Hank-KKD

FanimeCon 2014 Karaoke Contest Rules

The FanimeCon 2014 Karaoke Contest will take place on Friday, May 23. Up to 45 will vie for the right to be crowned the best singing act of FanimeCon! All finalists will receive prizes, and this year's winner will receive a beautiful microphone trophy.

All contest-related events (signups, check in, and the contest itself) will be in the Karaoke room (SJCC Room 212).

Schedule

Before Con:
5/11: Online sign ups open and run until full, or until 5/18, whichever comes first.
5/20: Contest Start List posted

At Con:
5/23, 2PM to 5PM: Check-in, warm ups, and at con sign ups.
5/23, 5PM: Deadline for online sign ups to check in.
5/23, 5:15PM: If spots are available, we will add entries from the waiting list. Waiting list entries must be present to be added.
5/23, 6PM: Qualifying Round
5/23, 9:00PM: Final Round

Eligibility

You must have a valid FanimeCon badge for Friday. FanimeCon Karaoke staff, Guests of Honor, and Industry members with professional singing or voice acting experience are ineligible to compete in the contest.

If you compete as a group, all singing members of the group must sing both songs, either as lead or as backup vocals. You may not add or change singing group members between rounds.

Signing Up/Checking In

The online signup link will be posted on this forum on 5/11. To sign up, you must complete the online form completely, including your real name and mailing address, and song IDs (if you are using our library). Incomplete entries will not be accepted.

Contestants who pre-register for the contest must check in with us by 5PM on the day of the contest. To check-in for the contest, you will need your FanimeCon badge and your contest music (either on a CD, USB flash drive, or the song numbers from our song library).  If you don't check in, then at 5 your spot may be canceled and given to the entries on the waiting list.

Any at-con sign-ups in excess of 45 will be placed on a waiting list. Waiting list entrants must be present in the Karaoke room at 5:15 to find out if they are in the contest.

Song Selection

Songs must be from the following categories: anime, vocaloid, video game, or J-rock/J-pop. K-pop is allowed in the preliminary round only. Although our karaoke database has songs from other categories, only songs from the aforementioned categories may be used. Signups with songs not in these categories will be rejected.

Songs limits: 2:00 (preliminary), 5:00 (finals). Songs longer than these limits will be faded out when the limit is reached.

You may not use the same song in both rounds of the contest.

English songs which were not originally created for an anime series or video game, or straight covers of such songs (for example, Fly Me To The Moon) are not allowed. Japanese adaptations of such a song are okay.

Original songs created for a localized version of an anime series or game are okay (For example, songs from Robotech or the North American dub of Sailor Moon).

No a cappella singing. a cappella singers are invited to join our Acoustikaraoke! Contest instead.

Acoustic-only instruments (those not using an amp) are allowed if played by the singer(s) themselves. Performers part of a larger group or who desire a more complex musical setup are invited to join our Acoustikaraoke! Contest instead.

You should generally follow the song's original lyrics-this is not a "filk" contest. Changing the lyrics will not help your score.

If you bring your own music, you must provide their own music, preferably karaoke version, on an audio CD or a USB flash drive. No phones or mp3 players please. Unclaimed CDs and flash drives will be disposed of at our discretion after the convention.

You may also choose songs from our open mic library. Just tell us the song ID number at signup/check-in. We are not responsible if the song sounds different from your expectations, or does not have lyrics. If you are unsure, you should try it out during the warmup period before the contest.

All contestants who do not use karaoke versions of their songs will perform with vocal dampening turned on. We want to hear you, not the original singer.
Note: Vocal dampening has been known to have unexpected effects with some songs, so if you plan to use vocal dampening, we strongly suggest that you test out your song at home before you sign up.

No song changes are allowed once the contest starts.

Scoring and Judging

In the Qualifying Round, competitors will be evaluated on the following categories from each judge:

•   Vocal: musical quality of performance, breath control, pitch and tone
•   Visual Performance: stage presence; overall entertainment value; style and poise
•   Song selection/difficulty

The top ten scoring singers from the Qualifying Round will advance to the Finals.

In the Finals, each competitor will be scored by each judge in the following categories:

•   Vocal: musical quality of performance, breath control, pitch and tone (60%)
•   Visual Performance: stage presence; overall entertainment value; style and poise (30%)
•   Song selection/difficulty (10%)

In case of a tie in the preliminary round, the tied acts will advance to the final round. In the event of a tie in the finals, then a vote of the judges will determine final placement.
All decisions made by the judges are final.

Conduct
As a convention for anime fans of all ages, FanimeCon has certain standards of behavior which all convention attendees should abide by at all times. Karaoke is no exception.

All aspects of the act, including, but not limited to: costume, conduct on stage, and song lyrics, are to abide by no worse than a PG-13 standard. If you are in doubt as to whether something is suitable, just ask yourself: Would you do this in front of your mother?  If you're still in doubt, please email or post and tell us what you have in mind, and we'll make a decision.

If any violations of this policy occur, FanimeCon Karaoke staff reserves the right to disqualify offenders from the contest and/or terminate the act in mid-song. In extreme cases, offenders may also be subject to convention penalties including loss of badge and removal from the convention.

During the contest, no physical interaction with the judges or the announcer is allowed. If a competitor leaves the stage, then their performance automatically ends.

Competitors may not use an audience member in their act. Actions that encourage general audience participation as a whole (such as asking the crowd to sing along) are okay.

The only persons allowed in the performing stage are FanimeCon staff and the competitors.

SuperSheba

Hey Hank!  Thanks again for posting the rules.  I do have a question for you.  Do you have any idea about a time frame for when the sign-ups will be posted on the 11th?  I know I'm jumping the gun, but I just want to be sure that I'll get a spot.

Hank-KKD

The most likely time frames will be either from 7-9PM or after 10PM, PDT. I will give 48 hours notice  of the actual time on these forums.

SuperSheba

coriechan

Aaaahhhh! We're finally getting down to it! Oh man oh MAN I gotta crack down and decide on a song!! :')
Cosplay List 2015:
- Jasper [Steven Universe]
-Cosmo [Fairly Odd Parents]

Moogleborg

Running on moé, 24/7/365.