Any more guests of honor?

Started by DrScorpio, May 09, 2014, 06:19:11 PM

Xanreo

I wonder if Guest Relations and Musicfest Staff have different blackbooks?
Musicfest guests have almost always been amazing and in the past few years we've even had several 2-acts concerts.

And all this talk about "revelance" is just weird.
If you're a fan, you're a fan. Doesn't matter if they've had any work come out recently.

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order

Kuudere

Quote from: Xanreo on May 12, 2014, 12:57:13 AM
If you're a fan, you're a fan. Doesn't matter if they've had any work come out recently.

I agree, but there are always those flavor of the year guests. Like this year, if they brought any Japanese talent from Attack on Titan or Kill la Kill, people would consider that relevant.

It's hard to please everyone of course. We have several English VAs this year, and zero Japanese VAs. Older anime fans might be upset at this because they tend to be a subs-only group, but new anime fans, which are usually into dubs, should be very happy. I know my first year at Fanime I had only watched dubs and I wouldn't have been interested in the Japanese VAs if they had them. So while the guests may not be relevant to some, they will definitely be to others, which I think people need to keep in mind.

Tetsuo

Quote from: Xanreo on May 12, 2014, 12:57:13 AM

I for one welcome the guests we have now, but I very much think that we are behind other conventions when it comes to guests. When was the latest anime-related work of our musicfest guests? I count at least more than 3 years ago. If that's the case, I would like for Fanime to formally change their name to "Retro Fanimecon". Newer fans of anime who watch the FoTM stuff from one of the most popular anime gateways at the moment: Crunchyroll (which I remember as being subbed) will not be interested in any of the guests for this convention, with the exception of Hiroyuki Kanbe. Newer, more relevant guests have the advantage of attracting old fans who continue to watch new stuff, and new fans who watch new stuff-- with the addition of in-season hype. Though, if you find anyone who is still hype about Hamtaro, and those people are the majority of the convention guests, then I concede defeat.

Meanwhile, It seems that Fanime isn't out of guests yet, they actually got 2 more guests who have ties with Gainax and one of them even worked with Princess Maker! That's nice.

heeroyuy135

inb4 someone brings up that AX got the Kill La Kill staff as GoH

Tetsuo

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on May 12, 2014, 10:26:08 PM
inb4 someone brings up that AX got the Kill La Kill staff as GoH

I just don't get it. After the Halko Momoi incident in 2007 at AX, their rep should've been down in the dumps. We haven't done anything like that, and look at our lineup.

Xanreo

AX IS the biggest con so it's only expected.
If I recall, they personally send their GR staff on trips to Japan in order to get personal contacts.
Even after Chase left and took his big book with him, they still got Mikunopolis.

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order

Angelx624

Quote from: Tetsuo on May 12, 2014, 04:23:36 PM
Meanwhile, It seems that Fanime isn't out of guests yet, they actually got 2 more guests who have ties with Gainax and one of them even worked with Princess Maker! That's nice.
I'm quite excited for the one that worked with Princess Maker. I haven't really played it myself, but I'm a big fan of Petite Princess Yucie! :)
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

otakuya

Where are all these new guests coming from? Lol

One worry now is the program guide. Not sure if it'll have the new guests information or wait to last minute to print brand new ones

Glitch

Looks like two more guests for Fanime. My previous statement is now incorrect.

kookiekween99

Quote from: Otakuya on May 13, 2014, 12:12:55 PM
Where are all these new guests coming from? Lol

One worry now is the program guide. Not sure if it'll have the new guests information or wait to last minute to print brand new ones

As someone with experience in the print industry, that level of print job would probably be sent to print the week before. Maaaaaybe Monday if they have a printer that can do rush jobs, but I personally wouldn't want to push it. But they can easily have the new guests' info in there. I'm sure the layout designers and content people are hard at work on the program guide right now.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

InsaneChan

*Yawn* I'm sorry, but if this is the best Fanime can do still, I'm really glad I'm quitting Fanime in favor of AX after this year. I know I've been posting without a filter lately, but it's seriously bothering me at how such a large and experienced convention such as Fanime can be so terribly boring and sub-par, after many wonderful years in the past. Heck, this is honestly a Sac-anime level GOH list this year.
Love. Life. fANIME.

DrScorpio

Not exactly who I was looking for, but much better then the nothing I was expecting =D

Tony

It's quite complex, and the terrain has changed since I started in cons ~10 years ago.

One of the biggest factors is essentially out of our control: the industry is not what it was 10-15 years ago. The novelty of exporting culture has worn off on the Japanese side, and the dollars aren't flowing like they used to, either. On top of that, digital is decimating entertainment as an industry world-wide. This factor alone makes it unreasonable for Japanese guests to come to the U.S.; I don't know how many times I've heard from a guest that they're losing opportunities by doing conventions at all.

An aside: My favorite counterpoint to this, though, is GAINAX. There is no reason for Yamaga-san to come every year, but he does. And occasionally, like this year, he can bring along some friends. It's not for money, or exposure - that's for sure. As far as I can tell, he just loves Fanime and the attendees. For him, that's enough. And that's why we announce him every year, even though it's expected: that kind of dedication deserves a little attention.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Angelx624

Quote from: Tony on May 14, 2014, 10:45:25 PM
It's quite complex, and the terrain has changed since I started in cons ~10 years ago.

One of the biggest factors is essentially out of our control: the industry is not what it was 10-15 years ago. The novelty of exporting culture has worn off on the Japanese side, and the dollars aren't flowing like they used to, either. On top of that, digital is decimating entertainment as an industry world-wide. This factor alone makes it unreasonable for Japanese guests to come to the U.S.; I don't know how many times I've heard from a guest that they're losing opportunities by doing conventions at all.

An aside: My favorite counterpoint to this, though, is GAINAX. There is no reason for Yamaga-san to come every year, but he does. And occasionally, like this year, he can bring along some friends. It's not for money, or exposure - that's for sure. As far as I can tell, he just loves Fanime and the attendees. For him, that's enough. And that's why we announce him every year, even though it's expected: that kind of dedication deserves a little attention.
It's understandable. It's just there's Japanese guests that I would really love to see(and see perform) without having to worry about saving up for a trip to Japan. But, it is what it is, I guess. Some dreams will come true, and the others will only remain dreams....
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

cutiebunny

As lovely as the excuse sounds, it's really just that - an excuse.  There's no reasonable excuse why other conventions across the US are consistently pulling in famous animators/bands while Fanime's guest list diminishes every year.  I'm not comparing you to AX as that's still out of your league.  But I am comparing you to Otakon, and to Animazement, a con that has about 1/3 your attendance.

True, digital is destroying the industry; So why not bring in some guests from older, fan favorite productions like Gundam, Macross and Sailor Moon, many of whom would probably be thrilled to have the opportunity to travel to the US to meet with fans. How about some older mangaka? 

The last time Fanime had an impeccable guest list was in 2011.  So, three years later, and the question is, what is really going on?  Yes, the industry changes in three years.  But I can't imagine that those changes have affected Fanime to the point where the guest list, especially in the area of animators and Japanese seiyuu, has been so completely decimated while other conventions are thriving.  There obviously is something else at foot, and as I'm sure it's proprietary knowledge, something the attendees will never be told.

echoshadow

I'm sure it has to do with the amount of money Fanime wants to spend on a guest. In the end money talks. Does Fanime have a rep of low balling guests? Who knows? But the facts speak for them self. Oddly smaller 3 day cons have some how miraculously booked top names. So the mystery continues why can't the 2nd biggest con on the west coast bring in at lest one big top guest?

Ah the mystery...
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: echoshadow on May 15, 2014, 07:04:42 AM
I'm sure it has to do with the amount of money Fanime wants to spend on a guest. In the end money talks. Does Fanime have a rep of low balling guests? Who knows? But the facts speak for them self. Oddly smaller 3 day cons have some how miraculously booked top names. So the mystery continues why can't the 2nd biggest con on the west coast bring in at lest one big top guest?

Hey, don't be so quick to presume it's just a matter of money. I'm sure a lack of planning played at least some part in it.

InsaneChan

This would be a decent excuse, except that there are other conventions who seem to be having no troubles at all booking Japanese guests. Fanime needs to stop blaming it on everything else, and own up to its shortcomings, instead of pointing the finger everywhere else. It's getting old.
Love. Life. fANIME.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Personally I dont see the appeal of guests beyond MusicFest Guests. Sure it is nice to have them but I certainly don't go to Fanime for the guests, I go for the panels and atmosphere.

Though there is nothing wrong with having a bit more high profile guests. But there is a lot of competition for the few guests willing to come out here, especially for a convention taking place on Memorial Day Weekend.

Quote from: InsaneChan on May 15, 2014, 10:24:22 PM

This would be a decent excuse, except that there are other conventions who seem to be having no troubles at all booking Japanese guests. Fanime needs to stop blaming it on everything else, and own up to its shortcomings, instead of pointing the finger everywhere else. It's getting old.

Calm down buddy, it really is not that big of a deal. You don't always get amazing guests every year.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

hikanteki

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on May 16, 2014, 05:41:33 AM
Personally I dont see the appeal of guests beyond MusicFest Guests. Sure it is nice to have them but I certainly don't go to Fanime for the guests, I go for the panels and atmosphere.

Though there is nothing wrong with having a bit more high profile guests. But there is a lot of competition for the few guests willing to come out here, especially for a convention taking place on Memorial Day Weekend.

Ehh...while MusicFest is certainly my favorite part of Fanime too, someone could turn that around on us.  They could say "I don't see the appeal of MusicFest guests. I don't go for MusicFest or atmosphere, I go for famous Japanese animators."

"A lot of competition" = just another excuse.  There are multiple anime conventions virtually every week of the year.  If there's a lot of competition, then Fanime needs to do what it takes to become competitive.