San Diego Fires

Started by CeruleanRogue, May 15, 2014, 08:38:40 AM

CeruleanRogue

As I'm sure a lot of people are aware, the San Diego area (my area) is being hit by a lot of fires.  While there haven't been any fatalities (thankfully), there has been a lot of property lost and there are a lot of displaced people right now.  The Red Cross is taking care of the evacuees; while they haven't put out an on-air plea for donations, I'm sure they can use any extra support possible.

If you'd like to donate to help (or help spread the word), this is the website they're directing everyone to donate at:  http://www.redcross.org/ca/san-diego

Also, on a related tangent, the recent disasters in the U.S. show why it's so important to have an emergency plan in place.  A lot of areas in the state (and other states, I'm sure!) have high fire risk at some point(s) in the year.  Other states have their own unique risks, like tornadoes, hurricanes, and so on.  A lot of the people affected by these fires have only had minutes to grab what they could and leave.  So make sure you have those important items together (papers, documents, digital media, etc.), and make sure you and your family stay connected when there's a disaster.  I've been through 3 wildfires in the part of San Diego I live in.  Trust me, it's super-important.  Fires -like many natural disasters- can hit hard, and they can hit fast.  (I know in 2003 a lot of the people who died in the Cedar Fire had almost no warning it was coming until it was too late.  So sad.)