Your Shopping List

Started by otakuya, May 21, 2014, 12:32:04 AM

AngelWings

Dealers hall will probably be whatever hits me with nostalgia. Artist alley I'll probably search to see if sincerelylove is there with kanzashi again! Swap meet some weiss schwarz cards and other stuff for presents for friends.

xkuramaxhieix

I'm mainly going to be scoping out the Dealer's Hall for One Piece figures, and whatever random urge inspires me that I have to have. Mainly though, I'm going to go through the swap meet to /try/ and pick up manga to complete my sets, and if they have figures there that I want. In short, mainly figures and manga to finish my collection. I'll explore the artist alley, and if a particular print strikes my fancy enough, I'll buy it. However, I'm mainly just aiming for figures and a couple volumes of manga.

Ecchi ja Nai

Quote from: xkuramaxhieix on May 16, 2015, 02:51:42 PM
Mainly though, I'm going to go through the swap meet to /try/ and pick up manga to complete my sets, and if they have figures there that I want. In short, mainly figures and manga to finish my collection.

What series/volumes are you looking for?  I'll be selling at swap meet both nights.  While my manga selection has been whittled down quite a bit from what I brought last year, I may have something you're looking for.

To keep this post relevant, I'll be keeping a closer eye on other swap meet sellers than dealer's hall.  I tend to look for manga or DVDs that are out of print.  Nendos at a good price would be nice, but most of the sellers I've seen the last few years have been priced above import cost.  Also if there's anything unique and/or cheap from G1 Transformers or Gundam - I found these really neat non-transformable vinyl figures of Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream and Grimlock from a swap meet seller last year.  I had never seen them before, and I'm pretty sure I got them at a decent price.

airwickkim

I really want to get some pins!

Do the dealers have a good selection of Nendoroids? I want to start a collection because they are so freaking cute. :3

This is my first Fanime and I'm scared I'm going to get overwhelmed with all the things that I want to buy haha

beastboytitans

Quote from: airwickkim on May 17, 2015, 09:27:59 AM
I really want to get some pins!

oh man, you'll find your fill of them >_<

I got a ton of anime that I never got around to watching/reading.
Nichijou, SAO, chobits, evangelion (yeah i know), gatchaman crowds, modaka, and baka and test

I'm hoping to find Psychonauts and midevil 1 and maybe the first spyro

xkuramaxhieix

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 16, 2015, 10:32:29 PM
What series/volumes are you looking for?  I'll be selling at swap meet both nights.  While my manga selection has been whittled down quite a bit from what I brought last year, I may have something you're looking for.

I'm mainly looking for the rest of the volumes of Yu Yu Hakusho, Black Butler and Loveless. I'm only completing those series otherwise I'm afraid I might start collecting One Piece.... As it is, I'm trying to sell manga, not buy more.

Quote from: airwickkim on May 17, 2015, 09:27:59 AM
This is my first Fanime and I'm scared I'm going to get overwhelmed with all the things that I want to buy haha

May the odds be ever in your favor....

Just so you know, they won't be. My advice? Hit the swap meets first. Go through the swap meets, haggle with them if they're willing, and then buy everything else from the dealer's hall. But try to realize too, that there might be ONE item that's like $165 and you have $200 and a million other things you wanna buy+food money. Don't blow it all on the things you SORTA want....Cause then you'll end up broke at the con with no money and starving. Especially if you spend it all on friday/saturday...<< *cough*

So as an updated list... Cause I thought of more..Hahhahahahaa:

• Yu Yu Hakusho manga(The rest of the series that I don't have)
  • Loveless manga(whatever volumes are out that I don't have)
  • Kuroshitsuji manga(whatever volumes I don't have)
  • One Piece figures!
  • Yu Yu Hakusho figure!

That's it. That's my list. I don't have any other plans.

I'm planning to go to the swap meet(Hopefully both nights) and just picking up whatever I want/can from there. I'm hoping they'll have stuff I'm collecting/looking for and I can haggle it down for a decent price.

Whatever I don't get from the swap meets I will buy at the dealer's hall......

But I really need to stop buying manga/collecting them. I'm already trying to sell my volumes because I have too much. If I thought I would have recouped my costs, I'd have gone to sell it all at the swap meet. <<

Anyways, that's it. That's my main buying goals for Fanime..... And praying I don't buy another pillow. Almost every year I've been at Fanime I've bought a pillow or a body pillow. << I don't need another pillow.

SincerelyLove

Quote from: AngelWings on May 15, 2015, 01:24:27 PM
Dealers hall will probably be whatever hits me with nostalgia. Artist alley I'll probably search to see if sincerelylove is there with kanzashi again! Swap meet some weiss schwarz cards and other stuff for presents for friends.

AngelWings, this is Aimei from Sincerely Love! I'm so flattered and delighted that you liked my work and are hoping to see it in AA again! Unfortunately, my kanzashi will not be sold at Fanime this year. :'( Sorry! If you're still interested in following my newest works and seeing the rest of my kanzashi pieces, they can be found on dA, Facebook, and/or Tumblr!

deviantART: http://sincerelylove.deviantart.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SincerelyLove.kanzashi
Tumblr: http://sincerelylove-kanzashi.tumblr.com/

Firefury Amahira

Quote from: airwickkim on May 17, 2015, 09:27:59 AMThis is my first Fanime and I'm scared I'm going to get overwhelmed with all the things that I want to buy haha
My best advice if this is also your first con dealers hall: Don't buy ANYTHING on your first round through it. That first trip through should be purely a scouting run to see what's available, which vendors are selling it, and what prices they're asking for it.

Only once you've seen everything should you start looking at purchases. Prioritize in terms of price, how likely it is to sell out, whether it's from a series you really, REALLY love or is just a current interest, and so on. Things like current manga/DVDs are easy to find for reasonable prices online. Things like pins you can find all over the dealers hall and aren't likely to be cleaned out until late in the con. Certain plushies, figures, or model kits, in comparison, may not be in abundant supply, hard to find or too expensive to get elsewhere, and so may be more likely to sell out quickly.

I would also very strongly caution against gambling on the various "mystery grab bags" that many vendors may offer. Sure, those will almost always say something like "guaranteed $X worth of merch" and the like, but the odds with those are NOT in your favor to get things that you would actually want. The gamble can be awfully tempting, but in my experience it's never one that pays off.

... As for my shopping list this year... I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Most figures that I REALLY want I'll preorder online. I'm still on a hiatus from getting any more Gundam models, especially since I'm looking to perhaps cull my to-build stack and get rid of a ton of older HG and SD kits. I might look for good deals on manga or DVDs, maybe see if there's any really good animation cels anywhere close to my price range for series I like. I usually come home with some new tshirts and some prints from Artist Alley. I suppose I'll just scout around and see if anything grabs my attention. At least with the success of DBZ Kai and the new movies and stuff, there's been a pleasing uptick in DBZ merch to treasure hunt for.
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

otakuya

This year, I want to buy or commission Golden State Warriors and Splash Brothers art from artists alley. I'm weird like that. I like to see Chibi-Curry and Chibi-Klay.

InsaneDavid

Quote from: airwickkim on May 17, 2015, 09:27:59 AMThis is my first Fanime and I'm scared I'm going to get overwhelmed with all the things that I want to buy haha

Firefury Amahira has absolutely solid advice above.  Unless it's something you were specifically looking for at a price (or less) you were ready to pay up front, hold your spending in the dealer's hall until you've had a chance to go through once.

Advice I have is to not carry all your cash with you every day.  If you're going to con for all four days (plus Day Zero swap meet), spread out your carried cash accordingly.  This allows you to budget for food if that's part of your total spending and to keep from blowing your bankroll on the first "must have" thing you may see.  This is even more important if you are traveling from out of town.  Each night when I return home I replenish my "carry" amount with the "leave behind" amount before returning to con - it helps me to regulate my budget.  Last year I kept finding that I had a ton more money carrying over and by Sunday was able to buy a pricier item (for me) that I was on the fence about since the start of con.

Most importantly have fun.  The best parts of Fanime don't involve spending beyond the cost of your badge.
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

otakuya

As far as advice, early Friday and Monday are prime days to buy; because dealers are both full of energy on Friday and burnt out, hopeful to not move stuff out on Monday.

Cash is your friend as you can see money changing hands, where all it takes is a swipe of a credit card. That teaches you pace of buying. In reality, there's not a whole lot of things to buy at Fanime that you can't get online. However, you do get to physically touch and see items, and able to get it right away, so there's that.

I had that same dealers room first-timer feel at Wrestlemania...and my wallet hurts right now.

Dajoo

I'd like to add, please pace yourselves as needed. The Dealers Hall, is bigger and badder than ever. We have over 200 booths featuring over 100 different vendors. In just my three years as head we've just about doubled.

We will have tables in the back for people to rest. Drink water, remember most hangovers are actually dehydration. Between the 2 halls there should be 4 men's rooms and 4 ladies rooms to be used as needed.
Dealers Head       2012-2016
Item Check Head  2014
Dealers Staff        2009-2011
Vid Staff              2005-2008

Exhibits Staff AOD 2014-20 ??? ???

abcbadcat

Just found out GS PROPS is going to be in the artist alley. I think I may up spending $200 I'm on a scissor blade TwT

Firefury Amahira

Quote from: InsaneDavid on May 19, 2015, 10:17:49 PM

Firefury Amahira has absolutely solid advice above.  Unless it's something you were specifically looking for at a price (or less) you were ready to pay up front, hold your spending in the dealer's hall until you've had a chance to go through once.

Advice I have is to not carry all your cash with you every day.  If you're going to con for all four days (plus Day Zero swap meet), spread out your carried cash accordingly.  This allows you to budget for food if that's part of your total spending and to keep from blowing your bankroll on the first "must have" thing you may see.  This is even more important if you are traveling from out of town.  Each night when I return home I replenish my "carry" amount with the "leave behind" amount before returning to con - it helps me to regulate my budget.  Last year I kept finding that I had a ton more money carrying over and by Sunday was able to buy a pricier item (for me) that I was on the fence about since the start of con.

Most importantly have fun.  The best parts of Fanime don't involve spending beyond the cost of your badge.
Also some really good advice. I did that my first several AXs to mitigate my bright-eyed con-newbie enthusiasm and to minimize the knee-jerk "BUY ALL OF TEH THINGS! \O|" reaction. I've since gotten much better about not blowing my budget in one shot and no longer need to do that, but it definitely helps.

Quote from: otakuya on May 19, 2015, 10:30:21 PMCash is your friend as you can see money changing hands, where all it takes is a swipe of a credit card. That teaches you pace of buying. In reality, there's not a whole lot of things to buy at Fanime that you can't get online. However, you do get to physically touch and see items, and able to get it right away, so there's that.
Also really good advice. Used to be that most vendors would only take cash, which helped prevent con-goers from plunging into debt; but with the proliferation of smartphones and cheap and easy credit card readers, the temptation to just charge stuff to your credit card can be pretty hard to resist. If you have a credit card, I'd almost suggest not even bringing it into the dealer's hall with you, just so you CAN'T give in to temptation and just charge it. Sticking to a purely cash-only budget plan is probably hands-down the best way to avoid coming home from Fanime to a horrendous credit card bill.
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

djmonolith

SRDX!

Looking for some older figures:

Guilty Gear XX - Bridget - 1/7 (Max Factory) (my holy grail...)
Oboro Muramasa - Momohime - 1/8 (Alter)
SRDX!
Durarara!! - Celty Sturluson - 1/8 (Alter)
Guilty Crown - Yuzuriha Inori - 1/8 (Good Smile Co.)

well, here are my wants:
http://myfigurecollection.net/profiles.php?user=djbridget&page=collection&p=1&tab=list&category=0&display=grid&root=-1&status=0&order=asc&year=0&month=0&day=0&nodate=0&acc=0&sort=category&pp=1&castoff=0&bootleg=0&draft=0&region_free=0

in case someone is selling and might have these.
This is my signature.

Abyss1

Blu-ray video sets
Resin figures
Swords
art books
shirts
side bag

AngelWings

Gah I'm so sorry I didn't see this post till now! I am absolutely still interested in following your work. Thank you so much for responding here as I wasn't sure where to find you!

Quote from: SincerelyLove on May 17, 2015, 07:09:59 PM
Quote from: AngelWings on May 15, 2015, 01:24:27 PM

AngelWings, this is Aimei from Sincerely Love! I'm so flattered and delighted that you liked my work and are hoping to see it in AA again! Unfortunately, my kanzashi will not be sold at Fanime this year. :'( Sorry! If you're still interested in following my newest works and seeing the rest of my kanzashi pieces, they can be found on dA, Facebook, and/or Tumblr!

deviantART: http://sincerelylove.deviantart.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SincerelyLove.kanzashi
Tumblr: http://sincerelylove-kanzashi.tumblr.com/

Sunara Ishi

So... how did you all do? Did you guys find what you were looking for?

I found most of mine and then some. Got some cds and wigs but I didn't end up buying shitajiki (was tempted and then forgot to return to a booth to buy some...) Ended up with some whim purchases and bought an artbook to get signed.

There were some really great stuff (in Dealer's and Swap Meet) that were tempting but I couldn't buy... I thought it was really awesome that they had someone selling Mini brand watches. <3
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula