THINK! DONT STINK 2014

Started by EJAY420, May 22, 2014, 06:50:14 PM

EJAY420

THIS MESSAGE GOES OUT TO THE DUDES WEARING WIFE BEATERS...... PLEASE SHOWER AND USE SOME DEO. I BETTER NOT SMELL THAT FAN BOY FUNK! THINK! DONT STINK!
Most Impressive.

Nina Star 9

I think it's time for...

Tips to Not Stink up the Con: Fanimecon 2014 Edition

1. SHOWER. Every day. At least once. Maybe twice, if you tend to get smelly, are wearing heavy clothing, doing physical activities, etc. Use soap. Scrub well. It doesn't take long. Focus on areas that get sweaty (armpits, crotch), but wash everything. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP!!!

2. Use deodorant. If you can, use one with an antiperspirant, to prevent you from smelling in the first place. (I know that some people are allergic to antiperspirants, in which case, I recommend Tom's of Maine, as they make a whole bunch of different scents, even unscented, in an antiperspirant-free formula -- I like the unscented one because I have really sensitive skin AND an antiperspirant allergy, haha~) Reapply your deo of choice as needed. Carry it in your bag with you, if you need, and reapply in the bathroom.

3. Wear clean clothes. If you have to, change once during the day, so bring extra clothes if you think you'll have to (say, going to the dance where you'll get sweaty, change after you leave unless you are going right to bed).
Easy if you are going in your civvies -- throw on a new anime-themed shirt every day, fresh undies, and probably change your pants at least once, especially if you sweat a lot.
For those who wear cool fashions (lolita, gyaru, etc.), try to bring multiple outfits, or follow my tips for cosplayers below. This may be hard with cosplayers who rewear cosplays over multiple days, so I have some tips to keep those clean:

3a. Wash, wash wash! If your cosplay is made of a fabric that can be washed, wash it! Bring a change of clothes for the evening and handwash your cosplay in the hotel sink. Remove as much water as you can as gently as you can, and hang it to dry. They make small travel packets of cold-water wash detergent that are perfect for washing cosplays in the sink -- I believe Tide makes them, though other companies might, as well. If you need special detergent (free and clear, gentle enough for wool or lingerie, etc.), bring a small bottle of it with you so you can wash your cosplay. When washing, focus on areas that are closest to your body, and closest to the sweatiest parts, like the underarms. You may not need to wash a jacket every day of the con, but you should probably wash a shirt that is directly against your body.

3b. If washing the entire costume is not an option (say, you have a dress with heavy beading at the bottom and can't dunk it all the way in water), but your fabric can still get wet, spot clean the smelly parts. Use a small amount of detergent and water, and a wash rag, and scrub. Rinse well, hang to dry.

3c. If washing is not an option at all, hang it to air in an area with lots of circulation (possibly open a window or use a fan?), and use unscented Febreeze. Scented Febreeze tends to cover up the stink with other scents, but unscented Febreeze and airing is better than nothing. Make sure that your fabric will not be stained or waterspotted by the Febreeze first -- test in an inconspicuous area.

3d. Air your costume nightly (or daily, I guess, depending on your cosplay schedule) whether it is washable or not. Give it a break sometimes. Wear something cute, or fashionable, or comfortable, or an anime shirt, or just a clean tee shirt you picked up off your floor while packing. If you have to wear the same cosplay every day, at least give it a break at night.

3e. Wear fresh underclothes every day, or even bring a couple of fresh changes for each day. Wearing a tank top or other undershirt underneath a shirt, if possible, will create a barrier between you and your costume. This is obviously easiest on things with sleeves and thick straps, though those dressing feminine in a strapless top that isn't too low-cut may be able to tuck in tank top straps or wear a cotton bandeau bra. Breathable fabrics are key here, since you don't want to add heat and bulk, but you want to absorb sweat. If wearing underclothes isn't possible, look into getting garment shields that you tack into the armpit area -- you can tack in fresh ones each day, and wash the others for later use, or get adhesive ones that are disposable.

4. Don't try to cover your stink with scented products. You don't want to smell like a middle-school boy who chokes the halls with over-applied Axe. A small amount of fragrance is fine, but just enough to smell from up close, not enough to smell from feet away. Keep in mind that you will be in a crowded area, and that some people are allergic to fragrances or get other nasty side effects (fragrances are a pretty big migraine trigger, and if you've ever had a migraine, you wouldn't wish it on anyone, especially during con weekend, and I'm sure there are other conditions that fragrances are bad for). Also keep in mind that fragrances won't make your stink go away, they'll only intensify it, because you'll be stinky from both fan funk and too much fragrance. Remember kids -- a little goes a long way when it comes to scent.

6. SHOWER. BATHE. TAKE A BATH. WIPE SOME SOAP AND WATER UNDER YOUR ARMS AND RINSE IT OFF. IT TAKES 5 MINUTES. DO IT. FOR THE GOOD OF HUMANITY.

7. If you are stinky mid-day and don't have time to take a full shower (which may involve reapplication of makeup, getting redressed in cosplay, etc.), wash under your arms with a washcloth, using soap and water, and rinse. Reapply your deo of choice. This is not a substitute for an actual shower, just a way to ward off the stink temporarily. A fresh scent touch-up, if you will

8. SERIOUSLY JUST BATHE. OFTEN. ALL THE TIME. SPEND THE ENTIRE CON IN THE SHOWER. JUST DO IT. SHOWERCON 2014. BATHING IS GOOD. JUST STANDING UNDER THE WATER FOR A FEW MINUTE IS NOT BATHING. TAKING A SWIM IS NOT BATHING. USE SOAP. SCRUB. LATHER. RINSE. REPEAT. DO IT.

9. Stay cool. As much as possible, try to match cosplays or clothing with the weather (which isn't always possible, but hey, it's worth a try every once in a while ;]) so you don't overheat. Drink plenty of water to replace any fluids you have lost and to keep your core temperature down. Sit in the shade. Find the a/c vents around the con. Bring a parasol or umbrella when walking for lengthy periods outside, or partially remove your cosplay when walking for lengthy periods outside (take off heavy outer layers, etc.). Try to find a breeze. Relax.

10. Try to avoid smelly foods. Garlic and onions, certain spices (curries, etc.), aged cheeses, and alcohol can have strong odors that stick to your skin and breath and can seep through your pores. You want to avoid this. You don't have to eat bland meals, but if you already know that you tend to get smelly or that you are particularly prone to having food odors cling to you or emit from your pores, then try to avoid some of these foods. Things like alcohol can go away after you've washed yourself and changed clothes (though it will stay on your breath — please don't go to a con super drunk anyway, for the safety and happiness of everyone involved, and if you want to get drunk, please do so in private hotel rooms or at bars and don't return to the con floor for the rest of the night if you can help it, especially if the con is a "dry con"), but things like garlic can stick around until even the next morning, so be careful.

11. If you can avoid smoking or those who smoke, do so. I'm not personally a smoker so I can't give any tips on how to prevent the smell from sticking to your clothing if you are a smoker, but please don't be one of those people who smells like they have been smoking two packs a day for the past 10 years without changing their clothes (you all know that smell). Smoke in a well-ventilated area, and try not to smoke often in a cosplay that you will be rewearing over the course of the con, if possible. Look into getting a separate piece of outerwear just to smoke in, if you can, and wash yourself thoroughly after you are finished. I know that smokers can't avoid smoking entirely, but it is possible to have less of a scent.

12. In addition to bathing, brush your teeth and use mouthwash. Use mints. Chew mint gum. Any little bit to reduce stink helps.

13. Bathe daily. I know it was a first tip, and a tip in the middle, but it'll be the last tip, as well. Bathe early and bathe often. It really only takes 5 minutes. Just standing under the water for a few minutes is not bathing — actually get that soap, lather it up, scrub your smelly bits, and rinse it off. Repeat if you must. Use a washcloth or a scrubby mitt or one of those poofy things if you must. Try to use soap (or some sort of equivalent that works on sensitive skin, if applicable) rather than a scented body wash. Scented body wash will get you clean, but some of them tend to be more "scented" than "wash." If you must, wash with soap (liquid or solid) first and then use your scented wash.