Just pure curiousity of the organizers of animecons, and the naming of AnimeCons

Started by JCS, June 29, 2014, 01:45:06 PM

JCS

The Memorial Day Convention is the first anime con I visited. When I visited it I start to wonder how the Convention is put together. Such as are most of the the organizers or founders fresh off the boat/plane Japanese Nationals or Japanese that had been immigrated generations ago in North America? Are most of these conventions around handled by the same or similar group of people?

Though I am most curious about is the naming of anime Conventions based on different locations. Some convention names are based on location such as the city name i.e Sac-Con, Stockton Con, Anime Boston, while others like Fanimi in San Jose and Susoki Con in Louisville, KY are uniques name that does not refer to the city that the convention is in. Take Fanimi for example how the name get chosen maybe over San Jose anime convention, Silicon Valley Anime Con or any other names. Is it because the names had been taken? Please note I am only asking the question of out of curiosity I am not really interested to participate in naming of conventions.

eHash

Quote"The Memorial Day Convention is the first anime con I visited. When I visited it I start to wonder how the Convention is put together. Such as are most of the the organizers or founders fresh off the boat/plane Japanese Nationals or Japanese that had been immigrated generations ago in North America?"
Neither, the organizers or founders might have no Japanese ancestry.

Quote"Are most of these conventions around handled by the same or similar group of people?"
No. Since most of the cons are staffed by volunteers (and don't get paid), there might be members of the community that staff several cons.

Quote"Though I am most curious about is the naming of anime Conventions based on different locations. Some convention names are based on location such as the city name i.e Sac-Con, Stockton Con, Anime Boston, while others like Fanimi in San Jose and Susoki Con in Louisville, KY are uniques name that does not refer to the city that the convention is in. Take Fanimi for example how the name get chosen maybe over San Jose anime convention, Silicon Valley Anime Con or any other names. Is it because the names had been taken? Please note I am only asking the question of out of curiosity I am not really interested to participate in naming of conventions."
You can visit the wikipedia page for each of the cons to get an idea about the history or drive behind it's programming.  There is no regulatory commission or government infrastructure saying you have to name your con with your location.

JCS

Great information
Most other convention events I attend are auto shows, home garden shows, and ski snowboard shows.What I find interesting is some of these shows move from place to place while others are organized by different organizations. In San Jose I noticed the name Silicon Valley auto show is used in lieu of San Jose auto show. Usually the term Silicon Valley is used to cover everything south of San Francisco and Oakland nowadays. I guess it gives them flexibility to move the venue around between cities if it becomes necessary.  I guess this is also the reason this name is chosen for  this convention and why some conventions have unique names.
I checked wikipedia which gave some good information about the individual cons. While there history is revealed, how they are named are not really explained. Though I read Fanime is operated by Anime resource group. While the one in Los Angeles is ran by Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation (SPJA) apparently this one had been ran by chief executive officer Trulee Karahashi. Though the same group had ran conventions in San Jose and Oakland in the past as well as once in Tokyo Japan.
Speaking of volunteers I always wonder is the volunteer off the badge cost the practice standard among anime cons. If so I might be interested in attending Anime Expo down in Los Angeles which is coming up soon.

otakuya

FanimeCon was named for fans of anime. The motto is "By Fans, For Fans".
It was created as a collection of anime clubs in the Bay Area to get together for a day. Only about a hundred people attended that gathering. Eventually, they formed ARG, the Anime Resource Group, much like AX's SPJA, to handle event planning. No where in their history that it specifically says "San Jose", because the convention involves the entire Bay Area fanbase.

JCS

Thanks otakuya. So the motto is anime made by fans for fans to enjoy or in other words fan made anime. Of course there are borrowed company made anime videos as well but are the still ones I.e in artist gallery all fan made? Sorry probably I should have meant Bay Area instead of San Jose Con which the city had nothing initially to do with the organizers who gathered in Cal state Hayward. The term Silicon Valley probably was not as popular back then. So I guess with this name they can operate not only in different parts of Bay Area but out of the Bay Area if necessary. Though I guess the other names  are probably open for possibly another anime organizer to take. So I wonder is fan made anime unique to Fanime? Does it mean in most other anime expos are the anime art inside are corporate made? Therefore differentiating Fanime from other similar expos giving it uniqueness?