Re: Item Check @ Fanime

Started by JCS, July 04, 2014, 10:07:12 AM

JCS

Quote from: JCS on July 04, 2014, 10:05:07 AM

Our first goal will be to make it 24/5. That is mostly a matter of getting enough bodies to cover the shifts, which should be doable. The Hilton is jam packed with vital con operations, so it is likely we will be in the Marriott again.

The other post was correct in the convention center we would have to pay for union staff to run it. At which point we won't make much if anything for Charity, and that is what Check was intended for was to be a Charity booster. Due to liability and our contract with the convention center there is no way of running it even as boxes or cubbys.

The dance floor is a major issue for attendees and volunteers who happen to have to be there. I read that one can leave items up front at their own risk though I would not want to risk leaving my messenger bag there while I volunteer as I have important items in there. Some people do leave items or props with staff/rovers/ or existing volunteers at the tables.
The Hilton already has as lost and found room and a Cosplay hangout. Though I don't know if Cosplay hangout is open at night and whether is it safe to leave items there.

Expanding the existing check to 24/5 would be best and we would have plenty of volunteers willing to do double hours for night volunteering to catch up with their hours requirements. I find it a great idea though. Even if not 24/5 maybe until half an hour after dance finishes at 2 am. Regarding liability issues though  I wonder who or what insures the items in the unlikely but possible event they somehow become missing, damaged, or destroyed, within custody if this items check? Does it just depend on luck and hoping the proceeds from $3 each item checked would outweigh the costs of any claims that might arise for the duration of the convention? I bet the convention center's union staffed items check system are well insured for this which I believe is important not to skimp on as for this convention with so many carrying expensive bulky cosplays, props, jewelry(Bought from dealers hall or part of cosplay),or other pricy items from art and dealers hall, travel baggage, etc as well as events like dancing which one would not be able to bring these things into.  I was surprised to learn the Con decided to skimp out on the convention center's coat check service and did not have any kind of items check from any source until last year.
Glad we have considerate people like Dajoo push for it.

eHash

QuoteThe dance floor is a major issue for attendees and volunteers who happen to have to be there. I read that one can leave items up front at their own risk though I would not want to risk leaving my messenger bag there while I volunteer as I have important items in there. Some people do leave items or props with staff/rovers/ or existing volunteers at the tables.

Did you really attend or volunteer the dance? I do not believe it was ever stated that you can "leave items up front at your own risk", it said "items left unattended are at your own risk." While volunteering for the dance, you could have left your bag with the Dance Ops desk which was not available for attendees (only for staff and volunteers).

QuoteThough I had an experience that would like to bring to concern. I had to volunteer at dance halls to fulfill my volunteer hours on the night before the last day, I had difficultly getting to where I was supposed to be as I had a bag of necessities which included gum and liquids which is barred from the no outside food or drink rule to keep the floors clean.
Nowhere did we state that this was just for cleanliness.  This is because countless attendees try to sneak in prohibited substances like alcohol in water bottles and other liquid containers.

Quote"Japanese dance floor hygiene standards" ha ha  So I could not get to where I was supposed to go to volunteer therefore I waited outside to see what can I do since I did not have a car and even if I know items check exists it's already shut down for the night and won't do me any good. Thankfully a staff member let me in saying it's ok to the TSA style bag checkers and clocked me in for volunteer hours so I was able to volunteer for my hours.
Normally, as a volunteer for the dance you should have said you were a volunteer at the front (where the rovers were) and gone straight to the dance ops desk.

QuoteI see on another post about how a formal items check inside convention center would rely on unionized staff. Though I wonder since there are already a number of staff and volunteers sitting at tables outside the dance hall it couldn't hurt to have a informal name tag box/cobby system to leave props, jackets, bags, backpacks, food, etc temporarily in boxes or cubbies until one leaves the dance floor giving the tag back to claim their items it would make things much better for those who don't have the luxury of an onsite hotel room, or car parked in the onsite garage.

Inside the hall, the staff is at the dance ops desk table to (1) hand on site lost and found items (2) centralized communication point for rovers/staff (3) clock in and clock out volunteers (4) fill out incident reports.  They are not there to check items for attendees.  Checking in items in this area is problematic due to space issues amongst other reasons.

The table outside is not a usable space since it is the CMR desk during the day.  The infodesk in the concourse area is definitely not a coat check.

QuoteSome people cannot just throw away food or liquids because they would need it afterwards as they would be hungry and thirsty after dance and they would not be able to buy as everything is closed at such a late hour.
This rule has been in effect for 4 or 5 years after an enormous amount of liquor and drugs were found inside the event.  It is posted in 4 places, on the website, in the forums (like with this post, you know a year ahead) that you have to figure out somewhere to put your stuff.  Which was the original intention of this thread. BTW, peet's below the dance was open 24/5.  in the area there are at least 3 places still open for food

QuoteSome people do leave items or props with staff/rovers/ or existing volunteers at the tables.
The Hilton already has as lost and found room and a Cosplay hangout. Though I don't know if Cosplay hangout is open at night and whether is it safe to leave items there.

If you had gone to either one you would know that these are not appropriate places for you to check your items in.  It you should assume that you shouldn't leave your bag unattended, jus tlike in an airport.

QuoteExpanding the existing check to 24/5 would be best and we would have plenty of volunteers willing to do double hours for night volunteering to catch up with their hours requirements.
The double hour practice is not standard and not something you should count on.

QuoteI find it a great idea though. Even if not 24/5 maybe until half an hour after dance finishes at 2 am.
Are you just trolling? Did you even go to the dance or targeting the dance since I responded to you? If you went to the dance you would know we ended at 4 not 2.

QuoteRegarding liability issues though  I wonder who or what insures the items in the unlikely but possible event they somehow become missing, damaged, or destroyed, within custody if this items check? Does it just depend on luck and hoping the proceeds from $3 each item checked would outweigh the costs of any claims that might arise for the duration of the convention? I bet the convention center's union staffed items check system are well insured for this which I believe is important not to skimp on as for this convention with so many carrying expensive bulky cosplays, props, jewelry(Bought from dealers hall or part of cosplay),or other pricy items from art and dealers hall, travel baggage, etc as well as events like dancing which one would not be able to bring these things into.  I was surprised to learn the Con decided to skimp out on the convention center's coat check service and did not have any kind of items check from any source until last year.

Items are almost always left in any item check at your own risk.  You state it like you know something, but any event would have to carry an insurance policy that is more likely to cover incidents like this than the convention center.   I'm not even sure the Convention Center has a coat check service... Where did you find that information?  and I'm pretty sure whether or not it's open is a Convention Center decision and a FanimeCon decision.  Where did you learn the Con skimped out on a Convention Center coat check?  That would be a cost the users pay instead of the con. 

ewu

ok, I think this discussion has gotten off topic. I think we have established that there is an issue and we will work to address that. Until then, I will lock this topic.

Thanks
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom