reserving a hotel room and being charged when??

Started by princie, November 04, 2014, 07:27:56 PM

princie

this is my first time trying to reserve a hotel room as soon as housing goes live and im a bit confused with the whole process.
when i book a room will i need to pay for it immediately? or??

echoshadow

If you use a credit card you will not be charged right away. It's just guarantee you'll have a room. After the last day April deadline for hotel reg then you could be charged one nights if canceled. But usually you'll be charged the day you check in to you hotel.

If you use anything other than credit card you need to send in a nights worth as a deposit before the April deadline. I think, not too sure about that since I never used it.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

princie

Quote from: echoshadow on November 04, 2014, 08:17:16 PM
If you use a credit card you will not be charged right away. It's just guarantee you'll have a room. After the last day April deadline for hotel reg then you could be charged one nights if canceled. But usually you'll be charged the day you check in to you hotel.

If you use anything other than credit card you need to send in a nights worth as a deposit before the April deadline. I think, not too sure about that since I never used it.

oh, i see
thank you so much!

FrenchBreadRedWine

So if using cred card you won't have to pay for anything the day of?? but does that include a debit card? I've had my bank account for like 3 years

Quote from: echoshadow on November 04, 2014, 08:17:16 PM

echoshadow

Correct for a credit card there is no charge the day you reg, it's just to hold your booking. It will be entered to the hotel when Fanime housing turns over all their bookings to the hotel. (One night cancelation fee may apply after the April deadline) . So when you show up to check in they will charge you then. (Well actually when you check out. They set aside the initial total days booked, and wait to see if you use room service, parking or any other $$ service then add it to the total days booked.) 

I'm not too sure about debit cards. But I don't think you'll get charged when you reg. However once you check in the hotel will will charge you for the whole days stayed in advanced. . So you need to have enough to cover it.  But that depends on the bank card and their policy's and what nots.  There is a FAQ about this somewhere.

One thing you could do is place the booking with your debit card and when you check in use a credit card.  But make sure hotel front desk take out your debit card out of the system. Other wise they would charge you the total balance on your debit card. 

It's just less headache with a credit card. I highly encourage everyone to use it.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

phr34kish

If your debit card has a Visa, Mastercard or similar logo on it, you won't get charged day of. I'm not sure about the rules with true "debit cards"; the ones that only have the word Debit printed on them and no major credit card logo. But the average bank card will get treated the same as a credit card.

The major difference happens at check-in when they'll charge or "hold" the entire amount owed for your stay when you arrive. So make sure you're not planning on floating the hotel through the weekend until you get paid or someone pays you back for a room. You'll find yourself overdrawn or without any available funds if you do that. Have the money for that set aside before you arrive.

SkaiRa1n

I used my Debit card when I booked the Hyatt.  I didn't have a hold or anything until I checked in.  The Hyatt did have a deposit policy in which they held $50 from my debit card, and I got those funds back in less than a week.  I just paid the room with cash and everything was set!

FrenchBreadRedWine

Quote from: SkaiRa1n on November 06, 2014, 05:21:46 PM
I used my Debit card when I booked the Hyatt.  I didn't have a hold or anything until I checked in.  The Hyatt did have a deposit policy in which they held $50 from my debit card, and I got those funds back in less than a week.  I just paid the room with cash and everything was set!
Okay yeah no mine is a legit visa debit car5d from Wells Fargo and omg this is amazing! I'm so ready!!