So...Waitlist?

Started by Gwydion, November 10, 2014, 04:38:28 PM

Gwydion

So after fighting with this damn thing for nearly 5 hours on anything you can possibly think of, I managed the Doubletree. But I wanted Fairmont. There's usually a waitlist for hotels so is it up yet and how do we get on it?

kookiekween99

Email FaniHousing [at] cmrus [dot] com to get on the waitlist.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Hachimitsu

waitlist never becomes public at all..
its better to have it secretly, but if you manage to be in the waitlist, there may be a slight chance you could get in.

Hey, having one hotel is alot better than having NO hotel!
theres always the room sharing thread but I am guessing you like it better off living in a hotel you admire so much (cannot blame you).

dj seifer

So I sent an email asking to be placed on a waitlist (like I do every year due to traffic overload on the housing website), only to be told that in order get onto the waitlist this year, I have to reserve a hotel room through housing first, but since there are no more rooms available, I have to get on a waitlist for a room, but in order to get on the waitlist, I have to reserve a room through housing first, but there are no rooms left, so...

Is this some new policy or something?

ewu

There are actually rooms still available at the Four Points and the Doubletree.

Quote from: dj seifer on November 11, 2014, 10:40:57 PM
So I sent an email asking to be placed on a waitlist (like I do every year due to traffic overload on the housing website), only to be told that in order get onto the waitlist this year, I have to reserve a hotel room through housing first, but since there are no more rooms available, I have to get on a waitlist for a room, but in order to get on the waitlist, I have to reserve a room through housing first, but there are no rooms left, so...

Is this some new policy or something?
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

dj seifer

Quote from: ewu on November 11, 2014, 11:53:43 PM

Just checked it right now - every hotel is marked as unavailable for the days I'm looking for (Thurs. to Mon.).  Still doesn't explain why I have to reserve a room before I can get on a waitlist.

citrus

What are the chances of someone being able to get their hotel when they're on the waitlist? I was lucky to snag a hotel that's near the convention before fanime got all of them. I didn't want to have the hassle of not having a hotel nearby at all. I've been going to this particular hotel ever since 07 and I'm not gonna be changing hotels anytime soon. while the hotels were jaw-dropping expensive without the fanimecon hotel rate or discount (was around 300$ a night) I rather have a safety net then not having one at all. I was REALLY lucky to even get the same hotel at the fanimecon rate but with all the server crashes and screwup I'm still not 100% sure whether or not I actually snagged the room reservation...

dj seifer

I've always managed to get a room via waitlisting, though I've always aimed for the Fairmont. Other hotels may differ.

aetherltd

Let's face it, Fanime has outgrown San Jose.

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: aetherltd on November 12, 2014, 10:04:03 AM

Kinda hard to disagree with this. I doubt it's moving anytime soon, though.

vralls13

Quote from: dj seifer on November 12, 2014, 12:31:07 AM
Quote from: ewu on November 11, 2014, 11:53:43 PM

Just checked it right now - every hotel is marked as unavailable for the days I'm looking for (Thurs. to Mon.).  Still doesn't explain why I have to reserve a room before I can get on a waitlist.

I was told the same thing. So I booked a room at the airport doubletree, a place I have no intention of staying to get on the wait list for a hotel near the convention... I got on the wait list last year, but I don't remember if I had a room somewhere before that.

Having to have a room *somewhere* before you can get on the wait list would explain why even the further away rooms are completely booked so quickly...

This policy should ensure a lot of scrabbling near the cutoff dates to cancel rooms without penalty.

Glitch

A more correct term is that Fanime has consumed San Jose. with each year, it takes more and more of downtown. And now it is going even beyond that.

I've heard staff say they don't want to move because the next biggest place is the moscone in frisco, and it is not exactly to their liking.

Admiral Donuts

How soon until FanimeCon gets big enough to take over the local cinema? "That'll make for nice viewing.

Lucifargundam

Second year in a row, im on the waitlist :/

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

kookiekween99

Quote from: Glitch on November 12, 2014, 05:02:19 PM
A more correct term is that Fanime has consumed San Jose. with each year, it takes more and more of downtown. And now it is going even beyond that.

I've heard staff say they don't want to move because the next biggest place is the moscone in frisco, and it is not exactly to their liking.

I wouldn't mind Moscone, but the decision isn't up to me. :P

vralls13

Moscone itself is nice but SF is so expensive... :-\

Hachimitsu

Quote from: kookiekween99 on November 12, 2014, 08:05:14 PM

The price for moscone is very expensive, and hotels WILL be more pricier than the ones in san jose!.. ALSO even though it's bigger, the venues are going to be hard to seperate from each other.

The biggest problem is traffic, and Raised ticket price!....

MOscone is nice, but i don't think i want to experience another horrible moment like wondercon did! (when san francisco held that)

kookiekween99

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on November 13, 2014, 12:31:51 AM

The price for moscone is very expensive, and hotels WILL be more pricier than the ones in san jose!.. ALSO even though it's bigger, the venues are going to be hard to seperate from each other.

MOscone is nice, but i don't think i want to experience another horrible moment like wondercon did! (when san francisco held that)

That's a good point. I was trying to research how much it cost to rent the Moscone, but I couldn't find any info.

Glitch

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on November 13, 2014, 12:31:51 AM

I also heard that the hotels aren't connected to the convention center. At least I think a staffer said that.

StrawberryCafe

Hmm I seem to have some confusion over how waitlists work. I'm panicking a bit, so I apologize if I don't make any sense in the following text.

I contacted Housing because I wanted to add a different room from Thursday to Friday. I provided them an existing reservation (my Thursday to Sunday & checkout Monday - confirmation #) because they said I needed to have registered through Fanime prior to being placed on any hotel waitlists. I simply provided the above as proof that I made a prior reservation. They have accepted my request to be placed on the waitlist, but the followup email said, "This is an ACKNOWLEDGEMENT ONLY of your request to change your existing reservation id xxxxxxxx for the FANIMECON 2015. Your waitlist request is on file and is currently pending, subject to hotel availability. If FanimeCon Housing is able to make the change(s) you requested, a revised confirmation will be sent to you indicating that your waitlist request has been filled." With that said, here's my question:

Does this mean they will:

1) Add a separate reservation (i.e. I keep both my old reservation along with getting my new one?)

or

2) They will replace my existing reservation with the new one?

I'm worried because I was under the assumption that they will add new reservation on top of the one I had. However, if it's #2, then they will replace my Thurs-Sunday (Depart Monday) reservation with a Thursday-Friday one...

It wouldn't make sense if they replaced reservations, because, for example, what if a person wanted to extend their reservation by a day? By the email's wording and logic, it would imply they will replace the person's original Saturday-Sunday (checkout Monday) stay with a new 1 Friday-only (checkout Saturday) one. Any clarification on this matter would be greatly appreciated.