So...Waitlist?

Started by Gwydion, November 10, 2014, 04:38:28 PM

echoshadow

So you just wanted to add an extra room from Thursday to Friday? If that is correct and housing rep  clearly understood you wanted an extra room then you would be ok. For now.

So yes they will add another reservation to your existing one.

However, you'll have to wait to see if there would be one once the deadline has past. Cause that's when lots of other reservations get canceled.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

ewu

To ensure there is no confusion, I suggest you call the service number. The operators are very helpful and have access to much more than the online system. They should be able to clarify any confusion and rectify any problems.

800-924-4232 (US & Canada)
415-979-2282 (International)

Quote from: StrawberryCafe on November 13, 2014, 04:32:02 PM
Hmm I seem to have some confusion over how waitlists work. I'm panicking a bit, so I apologize if I don't make any sense in the following text.

I contacted Housing because I wanted to add a different room from Thursday to Friday. I provided them an existing reservation (my Thursday to Sunday & checkout Monday - confirmation #) because they said I needed to have registered through Fanime prior to being placed on any hotel waitlists. I simply provided the above as proof that I made a prior reservation. They have accepted my request to be placed on the waitlist, but the followup email said, "This is an ACKNOWLEDGEMENT ONLY of your request to change your existing reservation id xxxxxxxx for the FANIMECON 2015. Your waitlist request is on file and is currently pending, subject to hotel availability. If FanimeCon Housing is able to make the change(s) you requested, a revised confirmation will be sent to you indicating that your waitlist request has been filled." With that said, here's my question:

Does this mean they will:

1) Add a separate reservation (i.e. I keep both my old reservation along with getting my new one?)

or

2) They will replace my existing reservation with the new one?

I'm worried because I was under the assumption that they will add new reservation on top of the one I had. However, if it's #2, then they will replace my Thurs-Sunday (Depart Monday) reservation with a Thursday-Friday one...

It wouldn't make sense if they replaced reservations, because, for example, what if a person wanted to extend their reservation by a day? By the email's wording and logic, it would imply they will replace the person's original Saturday-Sunday (checkout Monday) stay with a new 1 Friday-only (checkout Saturday) one. Any clarification on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

vralls13

So just to be completely clear on this years wait list policy. To be added to the wait list you must have an existing fanime hotel reservation thru the online system. Since all the hotels available in the online system have been booked now no more people can be added to the pool of people who can be added to the wait list. So if you as of today do not have a room reservation you cannot be added to the wait list. People can be added, but only those who already have a reservation. If a room comes open at your requested hotel the reservation is moved from the hotel originally booked to the wait listed room. Son even once added to the wait list the original room reservation must be maintained in order to actually get the wait listed room.

I just want to make sure that I understand the policy.

thanks.

ewu

Quote from: vralls13 on November 13, 2014, 09:41:41 PM
Since all the hotels available in the online system have been booked now no more people can be added to the pool of people who can be added to the wait list.

Try changing the dates of the reservation request. Rooms should become available.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

vralls13

Quote from: ewu on November 13, 2014, 09:53:54 PM
Quote from: vralls13 on November 13, 2014, 09:41:41 PM
Since all the hotels available in the online system have been booked now no more people can be added to the pool of people who can be added to the wait list.

Try changing the dates of the reservation request. Rooms should become available.

Ok,this week, maybe. I checked fri-mon just now and *all* are booked. But that aside, at some point in the not too distant future they will be all booked. What will happen then, will anyone be able to be added to the wait list after that time.

I'm just looking for clarification of the policy on the wait list please.

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: vralls13 on November 13, 2014, 10:04:20 PM
Ok,this week, maybe. I checked fri-mon just now and *all* are booked. But that aside, at some point in the not too distant future they will be all booked. What will happen then, will anyone be able to be added to the wait list after that time.

You didn't actually ask a question about what you need clarified.

If you want to get on the waitlist, book a hotel from Wednesday to Thursday, there's still plenty of rooms left for that night.

ewu

I was able to confirm - the date of the placeholder reservation does not need to be same as the desired dates. Just be sure to cancel the reservation by the cancellation date. Or pick dates you are ok with. OR! be ok with the cancellation fees.

QuoteTo get on the waitlist, they just simply need a reservation.  For example if they have a reservation confirmed for May 23-24, they can get on waitlist for arriving May 21 and departure May 25.

Admiral Donuts' suggestion is sound.

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on November 14, 2014, 05:32:44 AM
If you want to get on the waitlist, book a hotel from Wednesday to Thursday, there's still plenty of rooms left for that night.

The small catch 22 is that rooms really become available after the cancellation date. We are trying to address that problem, but that won't pan out until at least next year.

So if you do not get the desired room for the desired date by the cancellation date, I suggest you cancel your reservation. Then, check to see if any open up after the cancellation date.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

StrawberryCafe

Quote from: ewu on November 13, 2014, 08:36:46 PM
To ensure there is no confusion, I suggest you call the service number. The operators are very helpful and have access to much more than the online system. They should be able to clarify any confusion and rectify any problems.

800-924-4232 (US & Canada)
415-979-2282 (International)

I've called the hotline as per your suggestion and had my waitlist request cancelled & reverted back to my original reservation. I suggest doing the same for everybody else, regardless of what your inquiry may be. They are more responsive there (whereas it has been over 30 hours since I last sent my urgent email without yet a reply).

The email regarding the "request to change your existing reservation" was correct. Those of you who want to simply extend your stay may learn from my mistake and not give them a reservation that you want to keep, as they will take it as you want to swap reservations instead. Their reasoning for this was "to avoid double booking." You should follow what everybody else is saying, and book a "random" room at any available hotel just to have a "filler" swap-able room for the waitlist.

In any case, I changed my Marriott King w/ Rollaway rsvp (Thurs - Sun; depart Mon) to Thurs night only (depart Friday), and requested to swap the new one for one at the Hyatt King or Marriott King w/o Rollaway. I'm most comfortable at the Hyatt anyways, so I'll be staying there for the rest of the weekend. Best of luck to anybody who are waitlisted for Marriott w/ Rollaway for Fri-Sun. I hope somebody here have that spot for themselves now  :D

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: ewu on November 14, 2014, 01:08:56 PM
QuoteTo get on the waitlist, they just simply need a reservation.  For example if they have a reservation confirmed for May 23-24, they can get on waitlist for arriving May 21 and departure May 25.

Y-you noticed me... EWU-sama...

ewu

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on November 14, 2014, 09:30:14 PM
Y-you noticed me... EWU-sama...

I prefer the title of Sauron.....  ;D
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

vralls13

Quote from: vralls13 on November 13, 2014, 10:04:20 PM

You didn't actually ask a question about what you need clarified.

The question is what happens after *all* the rooms are booked? Will anyone be added to the wait list after that?

thanks

ewu

Quote from: vralls13 on November 15, 2014, 12:52:14 PM
The question is what happens after *all* the rooms are booked? Will anyone be added to the wait list after that?

thanks

I am reasonably certain that wed night will not sell out....but we do have increased demand this year...
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

megamanjoe415

This is a stupid way to even have this so called waitlist.

If a person does not have a hotel room, and everything is full, then he or she should be able to go onto this waitlist. This wouldn't be fair to others as the system crashed within minutes for the start of hotel reg, and I understand there aren't that many hotel rooms, but for people with reservations for hotels, they are lucky. True some people want to change their reservation dates, or give the reservation to other people, but it's not fair to those who do not have hotel rooms.

This is something you have to look at, and may lose people this way.

dj seifer

So it's now about two months to Fanime.  Been checking the hotel registration page off and on, no signs of any freed up rooms whatsoever.  Tried calling hotel reg, they tell me that I still need a hotel reservation to get onto the waitlist, which I couldn't get day of because the hotel reg site kept crashing the day rooms went up.  Once I could actually connect, all the rooms were taken.  This is utter BS.  I've never had to deal with this for previous Fanimes - what happened?  Why are you not allowed to waitlist if you weren't able to get a reservation?  Isn't that the whole point of waitlisting?  My group has all but decided to skip Fanime this year in favor of AX just because of this hotel reg nonsense.

ewu

Quote from: dj seifer on March 24, 2015, 12:52:01 AM
So it's now about two months to Fanime.  Been checking the hotel registration page off and on, no signs of any freed up rooms whatsoever.  Tried calling hotel reg, they tell me that I still need a hotel reservation to get onto the waitlist, which I couldn't get day of because the hotel reg site kept crashing the day rooms went up.  Once I could actually connect, all the rooms were taken.  This is utter BS.  I've never had to deal with this for previous Fanimes - what happened?  Why are you not allowed to waitlist if you weren't able to get a reservation?  Isn't that the whole point of waitlisting?  My group has all but decided to skip Fanime this year in favor of AX just because of this hotel reg nonsense.

I'm sorry you have decided not to come to Fanime. However, please note the following information. You only need a reservation to get on the waitlist, any reservation, for any day. You do not need a reservation for the dates that you desire.

Quote from: ewu on November 14, 2014, 01:08:56 PM
I was able to confirm - the date of the placeholder reservation does not need to be same as the desired dates. Just be sure to cancel the reservation by the cancellation date. Or pick dates you are ok with. OR! be ok with the cancellation fees.

The small catch 22 is that rooms really become available after the cancellation date. We are trying to address that problem, but that won't pan out until at least next year.

So if you do not get the desired room for the desired date by the cancellation date, I suggest you cancel your reservation. Then, check to see if any open up after the cancellation date.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

dj seifer

Quote from: ewu on March 24, 2015, 01:11:27 AM
I'm sorry you have decided not to come to Fanime. However, please note the following information. You only need a reservation to get on the waitlist, any reservation, for any day. You do not need a reservation for the dates that you desire.

I appreciate the help, but it doesn't do me much good when all the hotels are marked as unavailable.

ewu

I just checked right now.

For 5/20-5/21 the following hotels have availability:
Double Tree
Holiday Inn San Jose Airport
Hyatt Place San Jose Downtown
Fairmont

Use such a reservation to get on the waitlist.

Quote from: dj seifer on March 24, 2015, 01:45:42 AM
I appreciate the help, but it doesn't do me much good when all the hotels are marked as unavailable.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

vralls13

Quote from: ewu on March 24, 2015, 03:24:34 AM

Double Tree
Fairmont

Just keep in mind that if you do not cancel that reservation (and thereby remove yourself from the waitlist) by 4/26 you will have to pay a penalty. With that in mind I'm not sure how useful the waitlist is as no one has any reason to give up a good reservation until then.

Quote from: dj seifer on March 24, 2015, 01:45:42 AM

dj seifer

Double Tree
Fairmont

I tried to book a 1 day reservation, but it wouldn't let me select a departure date.  Not sure if it's a website bug or what.  I did end up getting a room for the days I needed at the Holiday Inn, so not a complete wash.  Thank you for your help and I apologize for coming off like an angry old coot.  Hotel registration for this year felt so much more frustrating than previous years.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: dj seifer on March 24, 2015, 10:24:17 PM

Double Tree
Fairmont

I tried to book a 1 day reservation, but it wouldn't let me select a departure date.  Not sure if it's a website bug or what.  I did end up getting a room for the days I needed at the Holiday Inn, so not a complete wash.  Thank you for your help and I apologize for coming off like an angry old coot.  Hotel registration for this year felt so much more frustrating than previous years.

I think it comes down to the convention's continued growing pains. Been attending for over a decade now and without a doubt the demand for hotel rooms was at an all-time high. The day the hotel rooms went live for reservation was extremely taxing on the servers and the phone lines assigned for reservations were ringing off the hook/busy all day long. Not that it makes it any better, but if it FEELS like hotel registration was very different compared to previous years, I honestly believe that's because it IS very different from previous years just based on sheer demand. I hope you and your group have a good fanime regardless. If last year's registration team was any indication, you certainly won't be waiting too long for your badge!  ;D
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015