So who else found out too late to book?

Started by Emma Iveli, November 25, 2014, 02:06:10 PM

Emma Iveli

I'm the one in charge of my group to book the hotels every year, my friend was curious about when it was happening this year so I decided to check... I was shocked to discover that everything happened weeks ago! Man... what changed that it happened so early this year... or next year...

Admiral Donuts

I think it was because they got flak for putting it up so late last year.

Emma Iveli

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on November 25, 2014, 03:52:48 PM
I think it was because they got flak for putting it up so late last year.

It seems like overcompensating to me... at least one of my friends don't mind as she's attending a different con in Seattle as part of a Cyborg 009 Cosplay gathering (she was the Jet cosplayer during the con)...

I just have to figure out what to do since this is the last con I have access to for me it's all or nothing... (it really sucks being a physically disabled person with no car).

Metriosity

They did post it on Twitter, Facebook and the forums what the date would be. I also got an email, I'm guessing other's did too.
I was on Vacation that day and ended up having to push back our departure time so that I could ensure I was near WiFi. 3 hours of battling with error pages and website crashes. 6 devices, 3 phones with over 400 attempts at calling the reservation line. We eventually got a room.

I hope that you find a method to get a room. The waiting list, I hear, is often pretty successful as people give up their rooms nearer the time when other things come up.

Admiral Donuts

You got an e-mail? How'd you get an e-mail?

Emma Iveli

Quote from: Metriosity on November 27, 2014, 08:36:25 PM
They did post it on Twitter, Facebook and the forums what the date would be. I also got an email, I'm guessing other's did too.
I was on Vacation that day and ended up having to push back our departure time so that I could ensure I was near WiFi. 3 hours of battling with error pages and website crashes. 6 devices, 3 phones with over 400 attempts at calling the reservation line. We eventually got a room.

I hope that you find a method to get a room. The waiting list, I hear, is often pretty successful as people give up their rooms nearer the time when other things come up.

I don't have Facebook (I just don't... it's just one of those things I'm not interested in) and I think Twitter is beyond stupid.

I don't want to buy a pass if I can't get a hotel... plus I can only stay in one within walking distance. I'm disabled, but I'm in the range where I'm not disabled enough for a wheel chair but not well enough I can walk unassisted. Hell there's a good chance you saw me durring the con this year (I was the woman with the pink forearm crutches).

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Emma Iveli on November 28, 2014, 02:25:46 PM
I don't have Facebook (I just don't... it's just one of those things I'm not interested in) and I think Twitter is beyond stupid.

I posted it to the forums on the 31st, there was an official post on the 2nd and a notice went up on the website on November 3rd.

Emma Iveli

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on November 28, 2014, 02:35:38 PM

I posted it to the forums on the 31st, there was an official post on the 2nd and a notice went up on the website on November 3rd.

I don't start checking the site until December... becuase I figure that's when the news starts rolling in...

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: Emma Iveli on November 28, 2014, 02:42:56 PM

I don't start checking the site until December... becuase I figure that's when the news starts rolling in...

That's when it started rolling in the last 2-3 years.  Thing is people got impatient, especially when rooms were coming up in January when they were used to rooms coming up in November, and I guess staff picked up the pace in response to the feedback.

It isn't going to be as economical, but have you thought about booking a room at one of the hotels without the Fanime rate?  Not all the rooms are blocked off for the con.  For the last 2-3 years I have seen people staying at the Hilton and Fairmont for other occasions who didn't know what madness was surrounding them lol.  Point is not every room is taken for the con, so that might be something to consider.  Otherwise you'll have to book a room for a night through CMR, put yourself on the waitlist for the weekend, and just hope it works.  Don't know what the chances of that working are though, considering the waitlist started getting names 5 hours after registration went up.  Unfortunately right now those look like the only options available unless I'm missing something.

Emma Iveli

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on November 28, 2014, 02:59:59 PM
Quote from: Emma Iveli on November 28, 2014, 02:42:56 PM

That's when it started rolling in the last 2-3 years.  Thing is people got impatient, especially when rooms were coming up in January when they were used to rooms coming up in November, and I guess staff picked up the pace in response to the feedback.

It isn't going to be as economical, but have you thought about booking a room at one of the hotels without the Fanime rate?  Not all the rooms are blocked off for the con.  For the last 2-3 years I have seen people staying at the Hilton and Fairmont for other occasions who didn't know what madness was surrounding them lol.  Point is not every room is taken for the con, so that might be something to consider.  Otherwise you'll have to book a room for a night through CMR, put yourself on the waitlist for the weekend, and just hope it works.  Don't know what the chances of that working are though, considering the waitlist started getting names 5 hours after registration went up.  Unfortunately right now those look like the only options available unless I'm missing something.

Last year all of the hotels within walking distance was booked through expect for the larger type of room at the Marriott that was super expensive. I eventually got lucky got a room at the Hyatt...

I'll go double check but 6 months in advanced is terrible...