Fun at hotels

Started by fanimefreak, January 30, 2015, 11:52:46 AM

fanimefreak

Hi everyone!

Last year my friends and i stayed at the Fairmont and it was super fun!  It was my first ever Fanime and I honestly didn't know what to expect at first.  It turned out to be a blast and I had a great time.  It seemed like the Fairmont was a hot spot for fun and partying and general kickbacks for the evening. There was always something going on after hours and people out late.  This year I booked a room for me and some friends at the Hilton.  I'm curious if the Hilton is as fun as the Fairmont or if anyone can tell me about their experiences?

I know its an early thread but i am just so excited preparing my cosplays, the next few months leading up to the event get me so worked up!

Nina Star 9

Hello there! Glad to hear that you had such a good time last year. :]

Each hotel has a slightly different vibe, but overall, a hotel is a hotel, and there will be loud party rooms, quiet chill rooms, and everything in between at every con hotel. If you want a particular atmosphere, you can seek it out. (That is, unless you are a room that values quiet and sleep and gets stuck right next to one of the biggest party rooms of the con, as happened to me last year...) Also, one floor of a hotel might have a big party room, another might not, etc.

I've only stayed at the Fairmont once, a number of years ago, so I don't know how the atmosphere generally over there compares to the atmosphere generally anywhere else, but I can give my best guesses. I think that Fairmont rooms might tend to have parties and kickbacks because they are larger rooms and a bit farther from the convention itself (but close enough to still walk). I usually stay at the Hilton, and know that a lot of that hotel is taken up by staff rooms, guest rooms, etc., so it tends to be a little less party-focused. (You can always find parties and people to hang out with at any con hotel, though.) I like to stay at the Hilton because even though the rooms are a bit on the small side, it tends to be a little more laid-back and less hectic than other hotels. The elevator situation has historically been better at the Hilton than the Marriott, though I didn't find that to be the case last year (when I stayed at the Marriott), but I also took the stairs a lot. There will be people out late at any of the hotels, and as I said, you can usually find a party or some people to chill with at any hotel you stay it. If there isn't something going on on your floor, try the next floor, or talk to people and see what you can find.

The worst room party experience I've had at this con was last year at the Marriott, where I was in a corner room that was next to a large party room (in the other corner room). There is a small foyer type area off the hallway that contains the doors to both corner rooms, and the party decided that they not only needed to be loud in their own room (right next door), but they needed to be loud in the foyer area, directly in front of our door, at all hours of the night. This is not a typical hotel experience, and I've never had this issue at the Marriott before. I haven't had anything quite that bad happen at the Hilton, though I have had very drunk individuals bang on my door late at night. So really, there is no hotel that will be 100% quiet all the time, and it's all luck in terms of who is on your floor and what is happening. I'm sure that you can find the types of nighttime activities you are looking for at the Hilton, though it is a little more laid-back and quiet in general.

I've heard that the Hilton pool/spa area can be a lot of fun at night, though I think it closes at 11PM. You can try looking there if you can't find anything else going on that suits your tastes. :]

(Take everything I say here with a grain of salt, though -- as you have no doubt figured out, I'm the type of person who uses the hotel to sleep and change in/out of cosplay, and I don't really seek out hanging out in other rooms. I also value peace and quiet. This is why I tend to prefer the Hilton, but as I said, you can pretty much find whatever you are looking for social-wise at any of the hotels, so YMMV)

fanimefreak

I am actually really shy and awkward most of the time.  Fanime was such a great experience for me because everyone i encountered was super nice and friendly. I'm not that big of a party person but at Fanime I felt so comfortable and so willing to make friends. There was a party I was invited to that had heavy drinking going on and I wasn't very comfortable so I told the people hosting that and I left.  They completely understood and thanked me for what little time I was there! That in and of itself made me feel good. I'm just looking for and hoping to have that same experience this year! :)

If anything, the Hilton is attached to the con and that will be super convenient!

echoshadow

I stayed at the Hilton, as far as the floor i stayed it was calm but not loud at all. I did hear a loud laughing but nothing to be bothered about. Actually I was hoping there was a room party but they where just the room mates just having by themselves and not looking to make friends. I know cause I asked.

But like Ninja Star 9 said it's a hit or miss. Usually con staff like sleep and quite. As to the Hilton pool, there is hardly anyone there because it's soo small and really only less than 10 people could be there.  Anymore and it's crowded.

I guess the bottom line is if there are people there that want to meet new people and have fun, then it's a great time. But then the flip side is there are people that just want to stick to their own friends and not go out side their circle. That sucks because you see the fun their having and want join then get shunned because your not part of their circle.

So Hilton wise, don't expect room parties.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

vralls13

I have stayed at the MArriot, Fairmount and the Hilton in the 10 or so years I have been going to Fanime. They both have their good points. The Marriot has a really nice bar and restaurant, although both are expensive. The wifi is good and the rooms are quiet and comfortable. The service is not so great. I really felt like a second class guest there and I cringed every time I was asked "are you with the convention?". The Hilton does not have much of a bar or restarunt, or lobby space for that matter, and the wifi is not very good. The folks there are very nice though and I never once felt like a second class guest. I am somewhat concern about parking when staying at the Hilton, the last time I stayed there I had to park in public parking and was worried about getting a space...THe Fairmount is a very nice hotel, nice bar. The restaurant is expensive and not very good (unlike the MArriot which while expensive is very good). The lobby space is nice and the service good. I just don't like the walk to/from the convention center late at night, but that's just me.

Lordsnow

Well if you're at the Hilton you're in a good position. The Hilton and Marriot have by far the worst elevator situation. Since the Hilton is connected, the bottom is usually pretty lively since there's events there and a pretty sweet lobby.
Old soldiers never die, and they don't fade away