Fanime 2015 Cosplay-Props-Weapons Policy

Started by FinalStar02, March 01, 2015, 12:07:24 PM

Waffles

Quote from: p4ranoia on May 09, 2015, 03:42:21 PM
I will be cosplaying as Satone Shichimiya from Love, Chunnibyo, and Other Delusions - Heart Throb and she has a scepter/wand kind of weapon. Is that allowed, I know I have to get it bonded but I just want to make sure I can bring it first lol. Ty! ^_^

Hello P4ranoia!

The scepter is totally fine to use as a prop as long as it is not made out of live steel of any sort. I noticed that it has a couple of "gems", which I know that this can lead cosplayers to use glass for their props. Please make sure that if you are making/buying this prop, that it is made out of plastic instead. So overall, NO LIVE STEEL and NO GLASS. Other than that, you are good to go!

Quote from: InsaneDavid on May 09, 2015, 06:39:26 PM
Hi!  Aelia approved these props last year via the forums (http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,16577.msg476070.html#msg476070) and we had absolutely no problems at the convention with peacebonding and gatherings but I wanted to make 100% sure again.

A really big drill.  All foam (with the exception of the hose which is thin plastic tubing) and everything is completely static as the hose can be magnetically attached or removed - it doesn't fire or anything like that - no triggers, bright colors.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/059/4/c/taizo_hori_s_p3_drill___complete__dig_dug__by_insanedavid-d78dbk5.jpg

An ion cannon - ABS, PVC and foam, no triggers, grips are from handheld packing tape dispensers, everything is completely static, bright and shiny.

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/091/9/5/masuyo_tobi_s_multi_function_ion_cannon__baraduke__by_insanedavid-d7co1dx.jpg

And with full costumes - http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/270/e/1/e17173e48b8d95cb38a65d206d512916-d80s890.jpg

Thanks!

Hi InsaneDavid!

I can tell you put so much effort into this prop. The drill is ok for peacebonding. My one small (very small) thing I have to point out is that for your gun prop, the tip needs to be altered to our current peacebonding rule: Gun-like props must have a non-removable orange tip at the end of the barrel which is visible from the side and which extends at least one inch up the barrel, or they must be painted all over in a bright safety color''. From the pictures, the tips are only halfway painted and only about 1/2 inch long.

Besides the orange tip, you should be fine with your props! (BTW, I really love your props!)

"Waffles are just pancakes with abs!"

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Waffles on May 10, 2015, 03:09:47 PMHi InsaneDavid!

I can tell you put so much effort into this prop. The drill is ok for peacebonding. My one small (very small) thing I have to point out is that for your gun prop, the tip needs to be altered to our current peacebonding rule: Gun-like props must have a non-removable orange tip at the end of the barrel which is visible from the side and which extends at least one inch up the barrel, or they must be painted all over in a bright safety color''. From the pictures, the tips are only halfway painted and only about 1/2 inch long.

Besides the orange tip, you should be fine with your props! (BTW, I really love your props!)

Thanks for taking a moment to respond!  I'll paint the emitters (the part with the paint on the tip) on the ion cannon orange the rest of the way to comply with 2015 rules.

EDIT: Fixed.

Out of curiosity, is peacebonding going to be using the soft adhesive wristband type tags for peacebonding identification like last year rather than standard zip ties?  Those were great, WAY more comfortable on the hand when tagged around a handle.

Thanks again.
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

Galactic.Divinity

Quote from: Waffles on May 10, 2015, 03:09:47 PM
Quote from: p4ranoia on May 09, 2015, 03:42:21 PM
I will be cosplaying as Satone Shichimiya from Love, Chunnibyo, and Other Delusions - Heart Throb and she has a scepter/wand kind of weapon. Is that allowed, I know I have to get it bonded but I just want to make sure I can bring it first lol. Ty! ^_^

Hello P4ranoia!

The scepter is totally fine to use as a prop as long as it is not made out of live steel of any sort. I noticed that it has a couple of "gems", which I know that this can lead cosplayers to use glass for their props. Please make sure that if you are making/buying this prop, that it is made out of plastic instead. So overall, NO LIVE STEEL and NO GLASS. Other than that, you are good to go!

Quote from: InsaneDavid on May 09, 2015, 06:39:26 PM
Hi!  Aelia approved these props last year via the forums (http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,16577.msg476070.html#msg476070) and we had absolutely no problems at the convention with peacebonding and gatherings but I wanted to make 100% sure again.

A really big drill.  All foam (with the exception of the hose which is thin plastic tubing) and everything is completely static as the hose can be magnetically attached or removed - it doesn't fire or anything like that - no triggers, bright colors.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/059/4/c/taizo_hori_s_p3_drill___complete__dig_dug__by_insanedavid-d78dbk5.jpg

An ion cannon - ABS, PVC and foam, no triggers, grips are from handheld packing tape dispensers, everything is completely static, bright and shiny.

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/091/9/5/masuyo_tobi_s_multi_function_ion_cannon__baraduke__by_insanedavid-d7co1dx.jpg

And with full costumes - http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/270/e/1/e17173e48b8d95cb38a65d206d512916-d80s890.jpg

Thanks!

Hi InsaneDavid!

Awesome! Tysm! And yeah my friend and I are making it out of Styrofoam and using fake stick on gems.
|| Stuck in time without a watch. ||

Fanime 2020 Lineup
Friday: ??
Saturday: ??
Sunday: ??
Monday: ??

Lolzman87

Hello!

Me and a buddy of mine were going to cosplay some of the members of the Payday gang, and we wanted to know if a weapon like prop like this would pass.

Its trigger will be removed, wire stripped, and even before, all it could do was make noise. Both weapons would have a covered cap, and we even spraypainted an extra inch of orange safety paint on the muzzle. Would this be okay? Can it be modified in any way to make it okay?

If not, it mentions in the lead post that a nonfunctional NERF gun can be used and painted as long as there is at least 1 inch of orange painted barrel. Is that still applicable for the 2015 con?

We have alternative non weapon props (fake bundle of money) if need be, and thank you!

AigooDantat

Hi! I'm planning to cosplay as Kagura from Gintama, so I've bought a Japanese umbrella. I just want to check in with you guys whether this is appropriate or not. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00706UGV0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fashwiing

Since you guys are so specific about military cosplays, I've got a quick question. My Daedalus crew flight suit (from Stargate Atlantis) has patches, but they're all 100% fictional. There are no alphabet soup acronyms anywhere on any of those patches. I'll have a holster, but no weapon in it at any time.

It's basically this but my nametape just has my last name on it and lol I'm a woman.

We cool? I haven't packed yet so I can leave it out if you guys aren't cool with it, but I've seen guys in full ACU battle dress in the con center the past couple years so looking like a space-themed reject from Top Gun wouldn't be that terrible, right? :P
Tentative 2015 lineup includes 90's Rogue (X-Men), Historical Rapunzel (Tangled), Maki Nishikino (Love Live), Daedalus F-302 pilot (Stargate Atlantis)

Waffles

Quote from: InsaneDavid on May 10, 2015, 04:23:46 PM

Out of curiosity, is peacebonding going to be using the soft adhesive wristband type tags for peacebonding identification like last year rather than standard zip ties?  Those were great, WAY more comfortable on the hand when tagged around a handle.

Thanks again.

Absolutely! We received a huge positive respond last year with our new peacbonds, and we plan on using them again for this year!

Quote from: Lolzman87 on May 11, 2015, 02:36:54 AM
Hello!

Me and a buddy of mine were going to cosplay some of the members of the Payday gang, and we wanted to know if a weapon like prop like this would pass.

Its trigger will be removed, wire stripped, and even before, all it could do was make noise. Both weapons would have a covered cap, and we even spraypainted an extra inch of orange safety paint on the muzzle. Would this be okay? Can it be modified in any way to make it okay?

If not, it mentions in the lead post that a nonfunctional NERF gun can be used and painted as long as there is at least 1 inch of orange painted barrel. Is that still applicable for the 2015 con?

We have alternative non weapon props (fake bundle of money) if need be, and thank you!

Hello Lolzman87!

If you do exactly what you have posted, then yes. Your prop is totally passable for con. Our main concerns for gun props has always been that it would be too realistic for our attendees to realize the difference, and creating a somewhat uncomfortable environment. The faker, the better. HOWEVER, I would bring back up props (the Nerf guns you where mentioning), just in case something happens. Pictures look different compared to the real thing. The photo clearly makes it look fake, but that could be a different story once it is brought to peacebonding. Please let us know with any other concerns or questions!

Quote from: AigooDantat on May 11, 2015, 09:23:56 PM
Hi! I'm planning to cosplay as Kagura from Gintama, so I've bought a Japanese umbrella. I just want to check in with you guys whether this is appropriate or not. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00706UGV0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi AigooDantat!

IT IS SO APPROPRIATE AND OK, THAT I AM NOW SAVING THIS ON MY ACCOUNT AND BUYING IT LATER!!!! <3
(Yes, you can peacebond the umbrella!.)

Quote from: Fashwiing on May 12, 2015, 08:00:09 PM
Since you guys are so specific about military cosplays, I've got a quick question. My Daedalus crew flight suit (from Stargate Atlantis) has patches, but they're all 100% fictional. There are no alphabet soup acronyms anywhere on any of those patches. I'll have a holster, but no weapon in it at any time.

It's basically this but my nametape just has my last name on it and lol I'm a woman.

We cool? I haven't packed yet so I can leave it out if you guys aren't cool with it, but I've seen guys in full ACU battle dress in the con center the past couple years so looking like a space-themed reject from Top Gun wouldn't be that terrible, right? :P

Hello Fashwiing!

Your suit is acceptable for cosplay! Just make sure you do not have anything labeled that would be associated (and/or acronyms) with the word POLICE, MILITARY, PD, FD or of anything with similar law enforcement.

Thank you everybody for your patience and I hope this helps clear/answer your questions!

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Waffles
Thank you everybody for your patience and I hope this helps clear/answer your questions!

Thank you for your professional and prompt responses!  :)

piggyflyer

Would a small kitchen knife, made of either cardboard or plastic(obviously not live steel) need to be peace bonded?

Waffles

Quote from: piggyflyer on May 16, 2015, 06:48:12 PM
Would a small kitchen knife, made of either cardboard or plastic(obviously not live steel) need to be peace bonded?

Absolutely. Any item brought to con with the intention of being used as a prop must be peacebonded.

OtakuAngel87

is it acceptable to ask the ones peace bonding a weapon to not make the bond too tight if a weapon can get damaged easily if it's bonded too tight?
Fanime 2017 Cosplay Lineup(tentative):
Himouto Umaru
Mikuzukin
Hatsune Miku (original)
Sailor Moon

Waffles

Quote from: OtakuAngel87 on May 16, 2015, 11:51:29 PM
is it acceptable to ask the ones peace bonding a weapon to not make the bond too tight if a weapon can get damaged easily if it's bonded too tight?

We strive the best we can to accomadate and respect our attendees props. This is an acceptable request, just please be aware that we still have to try and make sure that the peacebond stays secured.

OtakuAngel87

Quote from: Waffles on May 17, 2015, 01:32:15 AM
Quote from: OtakuAngel87 on May 16, 2015, 11:51:29 PM

We strive the best we can to accomadate and respect our attendees props. This is an acceptable request, just please be aware that we still have to try and make sure that the peacebond stays secured.

that is totally understandable since that's the purpose of having peacebonds is to make sure they're staying on the props. thanks for the response.
Fanime 2017 Cosplay Lineup(tentative):
Himouto Umaru
Mikuzukin
Hatsune Miku (original)
Sailor Moon

TheRealFreeman

Hey quick question.
I will be cosplaying as Gordon Freeman from Half-Life 2. His weapon in the game is a crowbar. The prop I use is a real crowbar. Would I be able to bring this to the con? Here's an attached image of it. It's an essential for this costume so I need to know just in case I need to cast a fake one before the con this weekend.

Waffles

Quote from: TheRealFreeman on May 20, 2015, 10:51:51 PM
Hey quick question.
I will be cosplaying as Gordon Freeman from Half-Life 2. His weapon in the game is a crowbar. The prop I use is a real crowbar. Would I be able to bring this to the con? Here's an attached image of it. It's an essential for this costume so I need to know just in case I need to cast a fake one before the con this weekend.

Hi TheRealFreeman!

A real crowbar is not allowed at con. We have a very strict "no-live steel" policy for our convention. Sorry!

Avairrianna

Can I please have the rule about wheeled props explained to me? I have never seen a written rule about this and have seen several large scaled props using wheels before. I figured putting a large item on wheels would help the situation with transport and getting through crowds but was shocked when we were told no wheels.
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

aetherltd

Next year, all fake guns have to be brightly colored. The new California law takes effect January 1, 2016.

CA penal code sec. 20175, permitted colors for fake guns: "The entire exterior surface of the imitation firearm is white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue, bright pink, or bright purple, either singly or as the predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern, or the entire device is constructed of transparent or translucent material that permits unmistakable observation of the device's complete contents. Merely having an orange tip as provided in federal law and regulations does not satisfy this requirement. The entire surface must be colored or transparent or translucent."

SquishyK

Quote from: aetherltd on May 31, 2015, 10:53:37 AM
Next year, all fake guns have to be brightly colored. The new California law takes effect January 1, 2016.

CA penal code sec. 20175, permitted colors for fake guns: "The entire exterior surface of the imitation firearm is white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue, bright pink, or bright purple, either singly or as the predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern, or the entire device is constructed of transparent or translucent material that permits unmistakable observation of the device's complete contents. Merely having an orange tip as provided in federal law and regulations does not satisfy this requirement. The entire surface must be colored or transparent or translucent."

Reading over the text of the law and after looking at a post made to the Fanime Facebook page it looks like this does not apply to Fanime as it qualities as an exception under section 20175 item g "The imitation firearm is used at a fair, exhibition, exposition, or other similar activity for which a permit has been obtained from a local or state government." So really the key item to note here is that *hint to staff* FANIME WILL HAVE TO OBTAIN A PERMIT!! *hint to staff* (Which hopefully they will do so, or notify us in some other official capacity what impact this will have on the convention)
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

InsaneDavid

This whole upcoming law is a big mess in my opinion but that stretches outside of being FanimeCon peacebonding specific.

One thing this will open up is those who hang out in the areas surrounding the convention center with FanimeCon non-approved weapon props (airsoft firearms with or without orange tips for example) will now be violating California law.  No more "I'm not badged and I'm not inside so it doesn't matter."  I'm sure staff will make this absolutely clear in the policies information for 2016.

Admiral Donuts

I'm no lawyer, but isn't there a difference between "Imitation Firearm" and "Prop weapon?" e.g., if you make a toy based on an M-16 or an AR-15 that's an imitation firearm, but if you paint a Nerf weapon brown and silver, does that mean it's a prop weapon and doesn't fall under these regulations? The news article linked even uses the term "certain replica guns."