Fanime 2015 Cosplay-Props-Weapons Policy

Started by FinalStar02, March 01, 2015, 12:07:24 PM

aetherltd

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on June 04, 2015, 03:51:29 PM
I'm no lawyer, but isn't there a difference between "Imitation Firearm" and "Prop weapon?" e.g., if you make a toy based on an M-16 or an AR-15 that's an imitation firearm, but if you paint a Nerf weapon brown and silver, does that mean it's a prop weapon and doesn't fall under these regulations? The news article linked even uses the term "certain replica guns."
Sec. 12550: "Imitation firearm" means any BB device, toy gun, replica of a firearm, or other device that is so substantially similar in coloration and overall appearance to an existing firearm as to lead a reasonable person to perceive that the device is a firearm." So if it looks like a gun...

Might be a problem.

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: pitin on June 04, 2015, 12:17:44 PM
Quote from: aetherltd on May 31, 2015, 10:53:37 AM
Next year, all fake guns have to be brightly colored. The new California law takes effect January 1, 2016.

CA penal code sec. 20175, permitted colors for fake guns: "The entire exterior surface of the imitation firearm is white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue, bright pink, or bright purple, either singly or as the predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern, or the entire device is constructed of transparent or translucent material that permits unmistakable observation of the device's complete contents. Merely having an orange tip as provided in federal law and regulations does not satisfy this requirement. The entire surface must be colored or transparent or translucent."

Reading over the text of the law and after looking at a post made to the Fanime Facebook page it looks like this does not apply to Fanime as it qualities as an exception under section 20175 item g "The imitation firearm is used at a fair, exhibition, exposition, or other similar activity for which a permit has been obtained from a local or state government." So really the key item to note here is that *hint to staff* FANIME WILL HAVE TO OBTAIN A PERMIT!! *hint to staff* (Which hopefully they will do so, or notify us in some other official capacity what impact this will have on the convention)
Actually, does the convention or the individual w/ the imitation firearm have to get the permit?

And does this apply only to imitation firearms or gun-shaped props made out of foam?
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: aetherltd on June 04, 2015, 11:25:30 PM
Sec. 12550: "Imitation firearm" means any BB device, toy gun, replica of a firearm, or other device that is so substantially similar in coloration and overall appearance to an existing firearm as to lead a reasonable person to perceive that the device is a firearm." So if it looks like a gun...

Might be a problem.

Well, that one's obvious. What I'm wondering about (more out of curiousity than anything) is where something like this might fall:

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on June 05, 2015, 12:17:30 AM
Quote from: aetherltd on June 04, 2015, 11:25:30 PM

Might be a problem.

Well, that one's obvious. What I'm wondering about (more out of curiousity than anything) is where something like this might fall:

Another problem with this law.

"The entire exterior surface of the imitation firearm is white,
bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue,
bright pink, or bright purple, either singly or as the predominant
color in combination with other colors in any pattern
, or the entire
device is constructed of transparent or translucent material that
permits unmistakable observation of the device's complete contents.
Merely having an orange tip as provided in federal law and
regulations does not satisfy this requirement. The entire surface
must be colored or transparent or translucent.
"

A lot of it boils down to black is bad and everything else is up to individual discretion.  What is bright?  White, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, pink, purple - again, everything but black.  "Singly or as the predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern."  So you can have blacks and greys but they have to be secondary in combination to another color and cannot be the predominant color.  Blazing orange tips are still required in addition to all of this due to federal mandate.

Really I don't think a whole lot for FanimeCon approved stuff will change.  More or less it's the same type of thing that has always been enforced: no realistic looking firearms.  There's now a (somewhat poorly written) law that enforces that.

I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

eHash

Just a thought:
Props might be important for your cosplay, but with the increased police presence and the wider distribution of con sites, I would hope every cosplayer is more aware (especially walking between sites) that your "prop" might be mistaken as "real" and you could get dropped by mistake.  These rules and laws are set in place to protect you not annoy you.

InsaneDavid

Quote from: eHash on June 05, 2015, 11:54:27 AM
Just a thought:
Props might be important for your cosplay, but with the increased police presence and the wider distribution of con sites, I would hope every cosplayer is more aware (especially walking between sites) that your "prop" might be mistaken as "real" and you could get dropped by mistake.  These rules and laws are set in place to protect you not annoy you.

Absolutely.  My issue with how the law is worded has nothing to do with anything cosplay related.

I've been kicking around plans (for a year or so) for a future cosplay where a realistic firearm would be the character's signature prop but really didn't want to carry around a fake gun so I put it on hold until we could figure out some fully safe alternatives.  Happily my girlfriend and I were able to figure out outstanding alternatives.
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ