Is Fanime worth going to anymore?

Started by citrus, March 09, 2015, 08:02:23 PM

Dreadhawk

This will be my fifth year attending Fanime.

My first impression was: Not driving, staying at a hotel a mile away and having to wait through LineCon when the systems had that horrible failure. To top it off, once I finally got my badge, I missed the last train back to Redwood City and was forced to either pay $100 for a taxi or check in to my hotel early for $60. Obviously I chose the latter. It was a struggle to even convince myself to go in the first place. I had always wanted to go to a con but never really had the money for it until that year.

Once the con was over, I had to convince myself it was worth it. I wasn't sure I would go again, especially seeing as 80% of the content did not interest me. I'm not one for panels, I don't endorse the hentai nights or yaoi-related stuff (personally, I don't care if anyone else goes to these). The only rooms I visited were like... AMV countdowns, Abridged series, some anime showings, Artist's ALley and Dealer's hall.

The main reasons I wanted to go was to check out cosplays and purchase goods from the AA/DH. Those three reasons alone were just enough to convince me to go back the next year.

Then LineCon 2.0 happened, but this time it was outside in the terrible heat and all that happened around then. I had the misfortune to be in line behind a Marceline (Adventure Time) who apparently was really good (I don't watch the show; unsure of accuracy) and this creepy guy kept asking her for pictures and wanting her to sing songs (she had a guitar). I pretty much spent the entire day just kind of keeping an eye on hi and making sure he didn't do something he would end up regretting. Eventually he was asked to leave. It was still a horrible wait, though. I never want to be mazed through the courtyard and like 3 buildings ever again, lol.

DESPITE ALL THIS, I came back for Fanime 2014 where, to my great surprise and joy, there was NO LINE whatsoever! I got my badge right away. I attended a few more rooms, visited some panels, and even wore my first cosplay (Mafia Graves, League of Legends).

Fanime 2015... I'm excited. I got a room at the Mariott for the same price I spent on the mile-away hotel. I have a new badass cosplay I'm about to finish and I cannot wait to discover new things in AA/DH. There is still so much I have yet to discover about cons and Fanime in general and I am saying as someone who participates in only the smallest bit of the event...

Yes. YES. It is worth it. It only gets more worth it every year. 25k attendees last year? It can only get bigger!
2019 lineup:
Shoebill (f>m genderswap) (Kemono Friends)
Elias Ainsworth (The Ancient Magus Bride)
King Hassan (Fate/Grand Order)
Gran (Granblue Fantasy)

Dracil

Quote from: Erik_anderson on March 18, 2015, 01:56:29 PM
Full disclosure: I am staff and I head up the Cosplay Masquerade, however I am responding a private individual and not my role.

For tax purposes Fanime, like every other convention, fair or event is organized as a corporation, so its misleading to imply that this is the same as a for profit corporation like AX, ComicCon or Wizard.  What 'for fans by fans' means is that we volunteer our time and while some perks are rewarded generally we spend far more time and money then the benefit.  Personally I spent around $3000 last year of my own funds to host my event.

On the tax status in general, there has long been the accusation of groups using 501c6 status, however this seems unlikely because that status is used to promote business without favoritism.  You can search for the records here for yourself:

http://990finder.foundationcenter.org/990results.aspx?990_type=&fn=Animazement&st=&zp=&ei=&fy=&action=Find

On the Fanime staff/volunteers has addressed issues around the use of guests time and it is now part of the standard training that such behavior is not allowed.  Just as volunteers do not get to cut lines when not working for an event.

Personally, if you want Fanime to improve, come to the meetings and voice your concerns.  Join the convention team and make things happen.  We are very transparent and are always looking for passionate people to make it a better event.

Curiously, I can't seem to find the 990 forms for fanime under "fanime" "fanimecon" or "anime research group"

Admiral Donuts

Did you try "Anime Resource Group?"

Dracil

Yes, I think that's what I meant to type in the post.  Nothing there either.  I also tried ARG.  So much for transparency...

Mizuki

So I'll be speaking on 2 views, as a moderator of the forum, and as someone who has ran events in the past.

As a Moderator to this section of the forum - It is good a discussion is happening, and it's quite....calm surprisingly, but to the OP and people who have complaints, have you given Fanime itself feedback? I will assure you that MOST Fanime staff who can actually give you answers will most likely not look at this thread, as this is more of a "General Discussion" part of the forums, not exactly feedback for the convention.

As someone who has ran events in the past - It's tough, a lot of things happen, sometimes you CAN'T get what you want, Fanime works pretty hard getting good guests every year, but sometimes things fall through for various reasons. I am trying not to take sides here as there are very good points on both sides, but for the people with a lot of negative feelings about the convention, sometimes these things happen. Even with expanding staff, you have to remember, Staff rotate out, this includes the people running the convention, think of it like the President of the United States, some heads will have different ideas how to run the Convention, sometimes they are popular amongst the con goers, sometimes not so much. I do highly recommend leaving feedback here: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/board,37.0.html, or going to one of the meetings and leave feedback either during the convention or with an individual department. If you don't do that, and just leave your feelings in this thread, I will give you a 10% chance it will be heard by staff, and like a 1% chance it'll actually reach the appropriate department.

echoshadow

I filled out the feedback form 2013 and 2014. Seems like these reports don't go to every department manager. Or you where not in a department that needed improvement.

But yes I and hundreds of other people that complain did fill out the feedback form.

Also that link is not a really a feedback thread. Ideas and suggestions feels more like "we think about it" then gets buried and forgoten.

If your really want a feedback thread make an official feedback topic and have it pinned. That way it never gets deleted or get buried.

Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Mizuki

Mmmmm, true that really isn't a feedback forum...

Sadly, I am not a moderator in any of the actual Fanime-related discussion boards, but I can ask to see if one can get set up that will get looked at.

echoshadow

Oniko

Quote from: Mizuki on April 21, 2015, 06:14:18 PM
So I'll be speaking on 2 views, as a moderator of the forum, and as someone who has ran events in the past.

As a Moderator to this section of the forum - It is good a discussion is happening, and it's quite....calm surprisingly, but to the OP and people who have complaints, have you given Fanime itself feedback? I will assure you that MOST Fanime staff who can actually give you answers will most likely not look at this thread, as this is more of a "General Discussion" part of the forums, not exactly feedback for the convention.

As someone who has ran events in the past - It's tough, a lot of things happen, sometimes you CAN'T get what you want, Fanime works pretty hard getting good guests every year, but sometimes things fall through for various reasons. I am trying not to take sides here as there are very good points on both sides, but for the people with a lot of negative feelings about the convention, sometimes these things happen. Even with expanding staff, you have to remember, Staff rotate out, this includes the people running the convention, think of it like the President of the United States, some heads will have different ideas how to run the Convention, sometimes they are popular amongst the con goers, sometimes not so much. I do highly recommend leaving feedback here: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/board,37.0.html, or going to one of the meetings and leave feedback either during the convention or with an individual department. If you don't do that, and just leave your feelings in this thread, I will give you a 10% chance it will be heard by staff, and like a 1% chance it'll actually reach the appropriate department.

Well I'll certainly try posting there but I'm starting to lose hope.  Every Fanime near the end I'm handed a survey form being an AA attendee.  Theres always a blank space to write comments and I sure try to cram in as much as possible.  even my helper does.  However it's been getting worse every year.

As far as the changing and rotating of staff yeah it's probably hard to pick things up but I'll fall back on my original post a page ago.  They really need to hire professionals.  Even if the new department head isnt sure what to do next professionals will know and be able to help guide the department head.

But I'll try my luck in the link too.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

Admiral Donuts

I go to the closing ceremonies every year. Plenty of people make suggestions and comments and usually they're greeted with "Good point, we'll look into it."

For example, three separate people recommended some basic signs for helping people get around the con. What do you want to bet nothing will come of these suggestions?

Mizuki

Quote from: echoshadow on April 21, 2015, 08:07:37 PM
Faceplam.

Please refrain from leaving these sort of comments in this section of the forum, it gives literally 0 input/discussion into the topic.

Imperial

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on April 23, 2015, 12:28:13 AM
I go to the closing ceremonies every year. Plenty of people make suggestions and comments and usually they're greeted with "Good point, we'll look into it."

For example, three separate people recommended some basic signs for helping people get around the con. What do you want to bet nothing will come of these suggestions?

There are signs. At info desk, at CGD table in front, at Cosplay hangout, and the interactive map near front enterence. some are a mess to read, but again, at the places mentioned minus the interactive one by the center, there are staff willing to point you the right way. I do agree, it wont hurt to have another on both levels of the main drag (the long hall, the narrow corridor of 2 years ago, ill point at it on a map if you wish) as a means of confirming which way you are going.

aetherltd

Here's last year's discussion on signs at Fanime.

This year, will the shuttle bus stop be in front of the convention center, around the corner at the Hilton's drive-up lobby, or somewhere else? Signs would help.

hikanteki

Quote from: Erik_anderson on March 18, 2015, 01:56:29 PM
For tax purposes Fanime, like every other convention, fair or event is organized as a corporation, so its misleading to imply that this is the same as a for profit corporation like AX, ComicCon or Wizard.  What 'for fans by fans' means is that we volunteer our time and while some perks are rewarded generally we spend far more time and money then the benefit.  Personally I spent around $3000 last year of my own funds to host my event.

The irony. While Fanime is organized as a corporation, 2 of the 3 you mentioned (AX and Comic-Con) are non-profits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime_Expo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Comic-Con_International

hikanteki

Interesting topic. I've been every year since 2010 and for me, it's worth going to because I can walk or take VTA there. If I lived further away and had to travel and stay at a hotel, then it wouldn't be worth it anymore for me.

The main reason it's still worth it for me is MusicFest. It's been consistently good. I like seeing bands from Japan that are virtually impossible to see elsewhere in the US. I don't mind that the opener last year was North American because Home Made Kazoku was a HUGE deal and I just figure they put their entire budget into getting HMK. Even in 2012 when they didn't get any major acts, they still pulled it together for a well-run MusicFest and Chiba-san was fun to watch. However, I wouldn't be able to make plans to travel for J-Music if I don't know it's happening until like two weeks before the show.

The lackluster lineup of guests last year was a little disappointing for me; however, I would MUCH prefer that the con pool their resources first into organization rather than top-name guests. I can definitely enjoy a well-run con with 24 hour anime and movie screens, a great exhibition hall, and few guest panels available; however I cannot enjoy a con where I can't get in due to the line being too long or where I have no idea where everything is going on.

The main problem IMO, and this is something that seems to span across multiple departments, is that people pulling the strings are too lazy/stubborn to do what's best for Fanime. Yes, not announcing the guests until a month before the show is a major issue. There have been people saying the ink is dry and has been for months, so it's mind-boggling why they wait this long. This is NOT the norm for most anime conventions (Take for instance Sac-Anime, who has pretty much their entire lineup announced six months in advance) and some people need months to prepare their guest-related cosplay or even make plans to go.

They get major props in 2014 for fixing line-con. However -- there was virtually NO mention before the show of what their plans were to make sure it didn't happen. There was only like one hidden thread on this message board which mentioned it. A number of would-be attendees I talked to would have been willing to give them another chance in 2014 to see if they fixed it, but didn't because Fanime gave us no reason to believe that it would be fixed. They should have posted on Facebook and Twitter their plans on improving the line and expected times to get badges, rather than announcing "expect to wait a really long time in line Thursday and Friday" which came across as petulant and turned people off. A much better approach would have been to say something like "We apologize for last year's delay. We are instituting a new registration system that will process ___ badges in ___ seconds, at ___x faster than last year. While we cannot promise that there will be no line, we assure you that we are working to make sure that what happened in 2013 does not happen again and thank you for your understanding." They may want to consider adding a PR department.

The defense of Fanime's warts being attributed to "by fans, for fans" in this topic & others was seriously painful for me to read. First, a number of the other cons (i.e. AX, Otakon, Comic-Con) name-dropped as not by fans are actually non-profits, whereas Fanime's a for-profit corporation. (For the record, I have no problem with any con being organized as for-profit or not...but don't claim to not be what you are.) Second, being by fans for fans is NO excuse for terrible organization. Third, just because corporations may be involved doesn't mean that they people behind the corporations aren't fans too.

All that being said...I do like attending Fanime. I'm proud to have something like this in my backyard. If it seems harsh it's because I want them to improve in areas where they can easily do so -- they are doing many things right, and I do NOT want to see another Bay Area con fall apart or leave (i.e. WonderCon).

echoshadow

Quote from: Mizuki on April 23, 2015, 01:37:22 AM
Faceplam.

Please refrain from leaving these sort of comments in this section of the forum, it gives literally 0 input/discussion into the topic.

Alright, then let me explain my single word response to you so you can have the proper input you ask of.

You suggested that (you as a moderator) everyone should post their feedback in the ideas and suggestions section. I then told you there is not an official feedback thread and then ask for you to make a pinned official feedback.

Now here's my reason for the "faceplam" comment. 
You concluded that I'm right, there is no feedback thread, then that your not really a moderator and you can't do anything about it, but "you'll ask some one ".

That my dear, was nothing more than "passing the buck" type of response. That also got me thinking why do you have a moderator title and can't make a simple pinned feedback thread? Is there a lot of red tape you have go through? Do you have to ask your higher ups for approval, or wait till your next staff meeting to make a simple request? So there you go. I hope this is enough input or discussion for your satisfaction.

I apologize if it sounded a tad rude, but sadly emotions don't translate well over the internet.   

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: echoshadow on April 24, 2015, 08:45:17 PM
Faceplam.

Alright, then let me explain my single word response to you so you can have the proper input you ask of.

You suggested that (you as a moderator) everyone should post their feedback in the ideas and suggestions section. I then told you there is not an official feedback thread and then ask for you to make a pinned official feedback.

You concluded that I'm right, there is no feedback thread, then that your not really a moderator and you can't do anything about it, but "you'll ask some one ".

That my dear, was nothing more than "passing the buck" type of response. That also got me thinking why do you have a moderator title and can't make a simple pinned feedback thread? Is there a lot of red tape you have go through? Do you have to ask your higher ups for approval, or wait till your next staff meeting to make a simple request? So there you go. I hope this is enough input or discussion for your satisfaction.

I apologize if it sounded a tad rude, but sadly emotions don't translate well over the internet.
Actually in his original post, he said he was the moderator for this section of the forum where this thread is hosted. Aka the sub-forum "Things of a Serious Nature." He never said he was the moderator of the sub-forum "Ideas and Suggestions." The fanime-con related boards are modded by other people.

I'm guessing you don't look at the main forum page thoroughly, as each sub-forum clearly states who mods each one? You seem to have a mistaken idea about how forums are normally run. Usually each sub-forum has its own mods but they can only mod the forums they are assigned to; usually only the admin can mod all sub-forums. That is common throughout the web; not just at fanime.

I believe he was implying that he has to contact (PM) the mod of the "Ideas and Suggestions" sub-forum to ask that the mod in question create that sticky.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Mizuki

Faceplam.

No problem. no offense taken. However, because I am a moderator for the forums, doesn't exactly mean I have any real pull with how Fanime works and operates (I am Maid Cafe staff, so the end of the year when we can give feedback for the con I will look over this thread and bring up a lot of the concerns I see here.) Also, I'm only a moderator for a handful of the "General Discussion" type forums, not a global moderator (if I could make a pinned thread in the appropriate section, I really would.) Anyways, I will do my best as staff to make your guys' voice heard, and will go through this thread once the end of the year wrap-up stuff for staff happens, and put in appropriate feedback.

I hope this is sufficient enough for you. Sorry there was some misunderstandings.

Amanojaku

That my dear, was nothing more than "passing the buck" type of response.
Passing the buck is the act of attributing one's own responsibility to someone else.  Her limited function on this forum has been made clear.  This wasn't her responsibility.
FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku

Mizuki

Quote from: Amanojaku on April 28, 2015, 12:33:45 PM
That my dear, was nothing more than "passing the buck" type of response.
Passing the buck is the act of attributing one's own responsibility to someone else.  Her limited function on this forum has been made clear.  This wasn't her responsibility.

I think my post and Sumari's got the idea across, I seriously don't want this to turn into a finger pointing match from here on out. Please remain on topic.

p.s. I am a he, not a she.