SWAP MEET Official Information Thread: REGISTRATION IS OPEN

Started by Zelyhon, March 17, 2015, 11:42:21 PM

risli

I'm planning to selling stuff for the first time , also hoping to find a partner to split the costs. Just a noob question, I was doing my taxes and asked someone who helped me... I still need to get a temporary sellers permit if I'm selling only at Fanime this year, right? I presume we get it after we get our space. And for those who done their taxes, how do you factor in your Swap Meet expenses and profit when filing your taxes?

Kyra_Maverick

I haven't sold at Swap in a few years, but they never required a temp sellers permit before. Only Artists Alley needs them, because they make their goods to sell, basically a business. Swap Meet is more like a yard sale, selling used items you've previously paid for. I suppose things could have changed, but that's how it worked before.

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Zelyhon on April 04, 2015, 11:27:55 AM
Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 03, 2015, 09:38:40 PM
I have a question about allowed items -- I am considering trying for a swap meet space so I can sell some old handmade lolita clothes. This is all I will be selling. Since the items are primarily handmade (with a couple of storebought pieces thrown in), would it be allowed? I wouldn't be appropriate for the AA, since I'm not making clothes specifically to sell, I'm trying to sell used clothes that I made for myself to wear years ago.

And for those who have previously participated in the swap meet -- would used lolita clothes sell? I'm not sure if there would be any interest in these. Have people successfully sold J-fashion items in the past?
Used cosplay and cosplay-ish items that you made previously are allowed.  You would not be able to make things specifically for Swap Meet, since like you mentioned that falls under Artist's Alley as opposed to Swap Meet.  Crafted items such as that do have to be approved by staff, but the general description doesn't give me any reason to think that there'll be any problems with it.

As for "will they sell," I'll defer on that question to anyone who regularly sells at Swap Meet, since I don't actually know.  XD
Okay, thanks for your reply!

I didn't expect you to be able to answer of if they will sell, but I'll leave that open to anyone else who might have an answer. Even if you haven't sold previously but would buy J-fashion items, please let me know.

Zelyhon

Quote from: risli on April 07, 2015, 12:32:53 AM
I'm planning to selling stuff for the first time , also hoping to find a partner to split the costs. Just a noob question, I was doing my taxes and asked someone who helped me... I still need to get a temporary sellers permit if I'm selling only at Fanime this year, right? I presume we get it after we get our space. And for those who done their taxes, how do you factor in your Swap Meet expenses and profit when filing your taxes?
Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on April 07, 2015, 07:53:03 AM
I haven't sold at Swap in a few years, but they never required a temp sellers permit before. Only Artists Alley needs them, because they make their goods to sell, basically a business. Swap Meet is more like a yard sale, selling used items you've previously paid for. I suppose things could have changed, but that's how it worked before.
This is correct.  You do not need a temporary seller's permit, but when you are filling out the application form, you will need to check a box indicating that you are an occasional seller as opposed to someone who sells regularly and would need a seller's permit.

In other news, Facilities has approved our layout for Swap Meet and has sent it on to the Fire Marshall for final approval.  However, because Facilities has given the thumbs up, I am free to announce that spaces at Swap Meet 2015 will be 14 feet by 6 feet.  Until we get final approval from the Fire Marshal, we won't have a final number of spots available.  However, the plan as submitted has 192 spots available.  However, keep in mind that this is subject to final approval by the Fire Marshal, but I expect that it should be approved.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Oniko

I've been so focused on other things.  Has sign up already happened?
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

Zelyhon

Quote from: Oniko on April 08, 2015, 02:54:40 PM
not yet.  Registration system is still being finalized.  We'll put word out here, on Twitter, on Fanime's Facebook page, and on the Fanime site when things are ready to go for registration.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

The Sea-Faring Otaku

Quote from: Zelyhon on April 08, 2015, 04:19:53 PM
Quote from: Oniko on April 08, 2015, 02:54:40 PM
not yet.  Registration system is still being finalized.  We'll put word out here, on Twitter, on Fanime's Facebook page, and on the Fanime site when things are ready to go for registration.

Nice! I'll be standing-by for the word then!
On and Off Attendee since 2005!

R.I.P. Fanime 2020 😭

See y'all in 2021!

Freight

Question:

We plan on getting a table.  What are the rules regarding adult material?  One of us has some yaoi they plan on selling.

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Freight on April 09, 2015, 12:45:56 PM
Question:

We plan on getting a table.  What are the rules regarding adult material?  One of us has some yaoi they plan on selling.

FYI, there are no tables, just a space lined out on the floor.

Adult material must be in a non-see-through box, labelled 18+, and you're limited to one box.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on April 09, 2015, 03:37:12 PM
Question:

Adult material must be in a non-see-through box, labelled 18+, and you're limited to one box.

Additionally if I recall correctly that box must have a lid when not being used and you need to check ID before letting a potential buyer browse said material.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Zelyhon

Quote from: FanFicGuru on April 09, 2015, 04:06:23 PM
Quote from: Admiral Donuts on April 09, 2015, 03:37:12 PM
Question:

Additionally if I recall correctly that box must have a lid when not being used and you need to check ID before letting a potential buyer browse said material.
Both of these are correct.  The size of the box is limited to the size of a standard comic long box.  The exact dimensions will be in the official rules.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

bballergerl44

Hi there, how fast do the spots usually sell out? Will I stand a chance if I stumble across the post on the same day? I really want to sell at Fanime swap meet this time, I had a great experience selling at Sacanime.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: bballergerl44 on April 16, 2015, 09:27:39 PM
Hi there, how fast do the spots usually sell out? Will I stand a chance if I stumble across the post on the same day? I really want to sell at Fanime swap meet this time, I had a great experience selling at Sacanime.

The speed at which the spots sell out depend largely on two things: 1) our venue (# of spots we have) and of course 2) demand.

The swap meet is a very popular element of Fanime, so we do sell through the spots quickly, but this year we have 192 spots, a very impressive number considering last year we had maybe half that number? (Correct me if I'm wrong Ben)

That being said, in the past we have had a "wait list" for people who were unable to register due to spots selling out. Every year we have people who don't show for any number of reasons, so our wait-listed sellers would be on standby for 45 minutes-hour after swap meet began and then we would allow you to take their spot.

Registration for this year's swap meet isn't quite ready and so I can't guarantee what this wait list process might look like this year, but I hope that information helps!
Swap meet staff - 2014

Zelyhon

Quote from: FanFicGuru on April 17, 2015, 06:30:22 AM
Quote from: bballergerl44 on April 16, 2015, 09:27:39 PM

The speed at which the spots sell out depend largely on two things: 1) our venue (# of spots we have) and of course 2) demand.

The swap meet is a very popular element of Fanime, so we do sell through the spots quickly, but this year we have 192 spots, a very impressive number considering last year we had maybe half that number? (Correct me if I'm wrong Ben)
Well less than half and much smaller in area.  I'd be surprised if we sold out this year, and if it looks like we're heading that way, there are some things we can do without reducing spot size to try and open up more spots.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Michi

Is there any chance there will be an option to pick up badges at swap meet Friday? Because of work scheduling, my husband may not be able to get to the con until after 7pm on Friday when badge pick up closes. This really sucks for us since he's my #2 for the swap meet "booth" and we don't have a group reg.
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

Zelyhon

Quote from: Michi on April 17, 2015, 02:12:05 PM
Is there any chance there will be an option to pick up badges at swap meet Friday? Because of work scheduling, my husband may not be able to get to the con until after 7pm on Friday when badge pick up closes. This really sucks for us since he's my #2 for the swap meet "booth" and we don't have a group reg.
We will not be able to pull and hand out badges to Swap Meet sellers when they check in.  The one year we did that, it seemed to really slow down the registration process.  I'm also unsure whether that'd even work with the system we had for registration last year.  Things were pretty streamlined for general registration and I would be reluctant to do anything that might upset the flow there.  I'll give it some thought and private message you to try and figure out a solution to this particular problem.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Impulse

I want to raffle one item.

Is this allowed?

I don't mind shipping it to the winner after the con if thats the case (in case they leave early.)
10':
Friday I encouraged some of the artists. Saturday I worked as a dealer. Sunday, I taught a few people how to Salsa. After midnight I played NINJA in a chair due to injury. Monday I worked as a dealer again and all through out the weekend helped ppl.

lacus

I have a question for seller check-in on Thursday night.
Do we have to get fanime badge in order to checkin swap meet, or we can use our drivers license for checking in?
Knowing the line, I'm worried I might not have time to get my badge before swap meet. and since swapmeet is on Thursday night, there is not a Thursday badge that sells, how is this work?
Thank you

FanFicGuru

Quote from: lacus on April 23, 2015, 06:25:53 AM
I have a question for seller check-in on Thursday night.
Do we have to get fanime badge in order to checkin swap meet, or we can use our drivers license for checking in?
Knowing the line, I'm worried I might not have time to get my badge before swap meet. and since swapmeet is on Thursday night, there is not a Thursday badge that sells, how is this work?
Thank you

If you have a weekend badge, you can pick up your badge on Thursday starting at 3 PM. While past performance is no guarantee of future results, I can say that last year registration did a legendary job in terms of moving the line quickly to the point that there really was no "line" throughout the con. Assuming they keep this system in place I doubt that getting your badge on Thursday will be an issue.

Additionally, (and this may have changed, correct me if I'm wrong on this Ben), the Thursday night swap meet is not a badged event. This is mainly to welcome in any and all interested buyers to peruse the swap meet, but it's also to help sellers not have to worry about getting their badge beforehand. We will require a photo ID (drivers license, state ID, passport, etc) to check you in of course, but if by chance you have not picked up your badge, that will not bar your entry to swap meet either as a buyer or seller.

Again, this may have changed but I will defer to Ben if there are any corrections to be made.  :)
Swap meet staff - 2014

ash

Any word on when sign ups are going to be?