SWAP MEET Official Information Thread: REGISTRATION IS OPEN

Started by Zelyhon, March 17, 2015, 11:42:21 PM

FanFicGuru

Quote from: 5dowla on May 03, 2015, 11:43:59 PM
If I have a couple friends that want to help me carry my things in and just hang out with me while I sell (but they wouldn't be selling anything themselves), is that allowed?

You're more than welcome to have people help you move/carry stuff in, but once you're set up you can only have one other person in the space with you, whether they're selling something or not.

I hope that answers your question
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

seerakosumosu

I'd like to request that we be allowed to pick spots once we enter according to our order in
line. I want to be next to my friend so that we can guard each other's spots when we go on
bathrooms breaks or take a few minutes to browse and shop ourselves.

Ecchi ja Nai

Quote from: seerakosumosu on May 04, 2015, 08:22:26 PM
I'd like to request that we be allowed to pick spots once we enter according to our order in
line. I want to be next to my friend so that we can guard each other's spots when we go on

Seconded! For the exact same reasons mentioned above.

My friend and I have been fortunate to get a spot for as many swap meets back as I can remember.  Even when we had the 10'x10' spots, what seems like ages ago, we've managed to have enough stuff to make getting two separate spots worth it, which is why we don't opt to share a space.  Last year, we somehow still managed to wind up with spots more or less within view of each other on both Thursday and Friday, so we were somewhat able to keep an eye on the others' items during a bathroom break or shopping lap.  Being able to request (and understandably not guaranteeing) neighboring spots would allow us that small piece of mind that we don't have to remain there for the entire duration should the need arise for us to step away for a minute, lest we risk leaving a bunch of anime goodies unattended.  We have some pretty great folks that attend Fanime, so while theft is always a possibility, what I noticed last year were people walking away upset if there wasn't someone there to answer questions or even take their money for something they wanted to purchase.

Besides having too much stuff to squeeze into a single space, it's also usually just the two of us who attend Fanime.  We could mark each other down as a secondary seller for the other space, but we don't have anyone else to help out   Having more than two people per space hasn't been an issue, as we can't even get that second person to begin with.

We are definitely not considering combining our powers to form one massive, all-mighty swap meet singularity.  The concern of vendors using swap meet rather than the dealer's hall or other sellers otherwise monopolizing space is definitely a valid concern, but I think this can be mostly addressed through clear communication of the rules and the consequences of breaking them before hand, followed up by monitoring by staff.  For the vast majority of us sellers asking to be allowed neighboring spots, if not where specifically on the floor our spots are, is a reasonable request that shouldn't be overly difficult or disruptive to grant.

Assuming we don't use that random-number method from last year again.  Please don't do that to us.

Zelyhon

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 04, 2015, 10:38:29 PM
Quote from: seerakosumosu on May 04, 2015, 08:22:26 PM

Seconded! For the exact same reasons mentioned above.

My friend and I have been fortunate to get a spot for as many swap meets back as I can remember.  Even when we had the 10'x10' spots, what seems like ages ago, we've managed to have enough stuff to make getting two separate spots worth it, which is why we don't opt to share a space.  Last year, we somehow still managed to wind up with spots more or less within view of each other on both Thursday and Friday, so we were somewhat able to keep an eye on the others' items during a bathroom break or shopping lap.  Being able to request (and understandably not guaranteeing) neighboring spots would allow us that small piece of mind that we don't have to remain there for the entire duration should the need arise for us to step away for a minute, lest we risk leaving a bunch of anime goodies unattended.  We have some pretty great folks that attend Fanime, so while theft is always a possibility, what I noticed last year were people walking away upset if there wasn't someone there to answer questions or even take their money for something they wanted to purchase.

Besides having too much stuff to squeeze into a single space, it's also usually just the two of us who attend Fanime.  We could mark each other down as a secondary seller for the other space, but we don't have anyone else to help out   Having more than two people per space hasn't been an issue, as we can't even get that second person to begin with.

We are definitely not considering combining our powers to form one massive, all-mighty swap meet singularity.  The concern of vendors using swap meet rather than the dealer's hall or other sellers otherwise monopolizing space is definitely a valid concern, but I think this can be mostly addressed through clear communication of the rules and the consequences of breaking them before hand, followed up by monitoring by staff.  For the vast majority of us sellers asking to be allowed neighboring spots, if not where specifically on the floor our spots are, is a reasonable request that shouldn't be overly difficult or disruptive to grant.

Assuming we don't use that random-number method from last year again.  Please don't do that to us.
This is definitely something we've heard in previous years, and definitely a valid concern regarding having a friend possibly watch a spot for long enough to cover a bathroom break.  It was my intention to allow at least some choice regarding spot selection, though perhaps not of the entire hall at once.  Probably a column at a time progressively down the hall.  Keep in mind, though, that the Seller's Agreement states that spots will/may be randomly assigned, so if we notice an issue or it seems as though spots are being combined into a single mass of merchandise, we will take steps to correct it.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

seerakosumosu

I really don't like the random assigning. Last year, my friend and I were one of the first few in
line. She got the absolute best spot, very front, middle, end row, while I got nearly the opposite
at the very back.

Zelyhon

Registration for Fanime Swap Meet 2015 is now open.  Please follow the link below and follow the instructions to go through the registration process.  Please keep in mind that if you are Staff, Press, or Industry and thus do not have a badge number, you will need to put which one you are in the field where it requests a badge number.  Following that, your application will need to be manually approved.  This will take some time, as Swap Meet will need to check with the head of the appropriate department or division before receiving the authorization from them to pass you through registration.

If any other details or issues arise, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and we will respond as soon as we can.  However, this is not likely to be before 6 p.m. Pacific, since I cannot do some of the likely necessary work from my work computer.

http://apps.fanime.com/2015/swapmeet/

Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

bballergerl44

Hi, i was able to send payment through and i am at the "occasional" seller permit. So alli have to do is bring a copy of that? And is my spot all set so i wont lose it? Thanks!

seerakosumosu

Quote from: bballergerl44 on May 05, 2015, 12:20:19 PM
Hi, i was able to send payment through and i am at the "occasional" seller permit. So alli have to do is bring a copy of that? And is my spot all set so i wont lose it? Thanks!

You need to bring that and the swap meet seller application form.

Azereki

Getting an error "Badge Information Does Not Match" so I just emailed you guys. I assume by the time this gets sorted through, all of the spaces will be gone? Double checked everything and it should all be good, so not sure what the deal is.

Black_Convoy

Quote from: Azereki on May 05, 2015, 12:34:55 PM
Getting an error "Badge Information Does Not Match" so I just emailed you guys. I assume by the time this gets sorted through, all of the spaces will be gone? Double checked everything and it should all be good, so not sure what the deal is.
My bro is getting this too and sent an email. The badge code is legit...I bought his badge so I should know! Here's hoping you don't lose your spots.

jen_kat

The check-in information on step 7 says that check-in is at the staff table at the entrance to the Civic Auditorium. It should be South Hall, right?

redroses3164

I sent an email about my badge saying balance is due. I'm in a group reg and the leader says he already paid for it.

cavempt

do i need a membership badge if i just wanted to check out the swap meet to buy stuff (and not as a seller)? i'm only able to attend the convention on Saturday so I'm only getting the One-Day pass on the day of, and therefore wont have a badge on the swap meet nights.

thanks in advance

Zelyhon

Quote from: jen_kat on May 05, 2015, 12:49:20 PM
The check-in information on step 7 says that check-in is at the staff table at the entrance to the Civic Auditorium. It should be South Hall, right?
yes, it is South Hall.  Must have missed that one when making the corrections.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Zelyhon

Quote from: Azereki on May 05, 2015, 12:34:55 PM
It is my belief that there will still be more spots than sellers.  Regardless, I think it should save your spot at that point.  Make sure your name and Badhe number match how Fanime has them.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Zelyhon

Quote from: redroses3164 on May 05, 2015, 01:02:58 PM
I sent an email about my badge saying balance is due. I'm in a group reg and the leader says he already paid for it.
We're getting a good number of those.  Rest assured that we're working on second sellers showing balance due, but may not be able to resolve it until this evening.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Ecchi ja Nai

Phew, swap meet registration is all set.  One less thing to worry about.  Didn't have any issues with my badge number, for what it's worth.

I did notice under the section for the seller's permits, occasional sellers are required to contact staff in order to claim exempt status.  They had that last year, but when I emailed I got a response saying it wasn't necessary.  Is that something we're required to do, or is claiming EXEMPT status and having a completed BOE-410-D form sufficient?

rottenrosen

I got to Step 3 and was waitlisted? If there are still spots available then what happened?
Update: Nevermind, haha. I'm in the process of the BOE.

Zelyhon

Quote from: cavempt on May 05, 2015, 01:05:22 PM
do i need a membership badge if i just wanted to check out the swap meet to buy stuff (and not as a seller)? i'm only able to attend the convention on Saturday so I'm only getting the One-Day pass on the day of, and therefore wont have a badge on the swap meet nights.

thanks in advance
Thursday, a badge is not required.  Friday, a badge is required.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Zelyhon

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 05, 2015, 01:18:21 PM
Phew, swap meet registration is all set.  One less thing to worry about.  Didn't have any issues with my badge number, for what it's worth.

I did notice under the section for the seller's permits, occasional sellers are required to contact staff in order to claim exempt status.  They had that last year, but when I emailed I got a response saying it wasn't necessary.  Is that something we're required to do, or is claiming EXEMPT status and having a completed BOE-410-D form sufficient?
The completed BOE should be enough.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff