SWAP MEET Official Information Thread: REGISTRATION IS OPEN

Started by Zelyhon, March 17, 2015, 11:42:21 PM

PacificPikachu

I just read over the seller's agreement again, and this year I'm not seeing anything against hand carts. My box of merchandise is quite large/heavy, definitely more than I can carry without some sort of wheels involved. I have a hand cart type thing I use at home for animal feed (I have chickens and horses). Would it be okay for me to bring that along and use it to transport my items, or is it still against the rules? If all else fails I'll buy something else wheeled (not a cart) to put my items on, but I just wanted to check on the policy regarding that before I spend extra money just to transport stuff to and from Swap Meet! Thanks. I know it's a union-related issue (not a rule the convention itself makes) so I understand if we're still not allowed to use them.

abcbadcat

I'm worried about using a cart too after what PacificPikachu said. I was planning on using a RockNRoller multicart to transport my items and use it to sit on.

dooditzmike

Is there anyone I could talk to regarding about my Swap Meet registration? I haven't gotten a response from anyone on the swap meet staff.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: dooditzmike on May 15, 2015, 11:48:45 AM
Is there anyone I could talk to regarding about my Swap Meet registration? I haven't gotten a response from anyone on the swap meet staff.

You've emailed [email protected]?

If you haven't already, please make sure to do that. I know the swap meet head is checking it pretty regularly. I will alert him to the issue as well.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

dooditzmike

Quote from: FanFicGuru on May 15, 2015, 12:42:59 PM
Quote from: dooditzmike on May 15, 2015, 11:48:45 AM

You've emailed [email protected]?

If you haven't already, please make sure to do that. I know the swap meet head is checking it pretty regularly. I will alert him to the issue as well.

Yep. Its already been a few days. No response.

bballergerl44

I am looking to share my spot on Thursday. Contact me if you are interested :)
[email protected] would be the easiest to reach me without giving too much info out.

Zelyhon

Quote from: PacificPikachu on May 14, 2015, 07:59:19 PM
I just read over the seller's agreement again, and this year I'm not seeing anything against hand carts. My box of merchandise is quite large/heavy, definitely more than I can carry without some sort of wheels involved. I have a hand cart type thing I use at home for animal feed (I have chickens and horses). Would it be okay for me to bring that along and use it to transport my items, or is it still against the rules? If all else fails I'll buy something else wheeled (not a cart) to put my items on, but I just wanted to check on the policy regarding that before I spend extra money just to transport stuff to and from Swap Meet! Thanks. I know it's a union-related issue (not a rule the convention itself makes) so I understand if we're still not allowed to use them.
As far as I know, it's an issue that affects the entire convention center, which includes South Hall.  I have not heard anything indicating that we would be able to use carts this year as opposed to last year, so the default answer is to say "still no carts."  I'll double check with those more in the know to see if that answer will change.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

PacificPikachu

Thanks for the answer, Ben. Darn, I was hoping, but it's okay! If you get any more information to the contrary do let us know. Guess for now I'll plan on getting those wheels for my box.

Rurutie8

Last year, as a presenter of a Fanime-Con special event, Swap Meet officials waived my sellers fee.  This year I am again presenting the same special event.  Will Swap Meet again waive the $40/day fee this year?  If so, what documentation would I need to confirm that I am a presenter?

kookiekween99

Okay so I'm registered for a space on Thursday, but my boyfriend wants to help sell in the space with me. I know I have to have him fill out the "secondary seller" part of the swap meet agreement, but does he have to fill out a second BOE-410-D? Or is it sufficient if I fill it out? We're selling from the same stock of merchandise if that helps.

EDIT: I'm confused. In this thread, it says that you don't have to fill out the BOE form if you're an occasional seller. But on the Swap Meet Reg site, it says "A copy of your seller's permit (if applicable) or BOE-410-D form declaring "occasional seller" status." So do I even need to fill it out?
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

FanFicGuru

Quote from: kookiekween99 on May 17, 2015, 03:22:34 PM
Okay so I'm registered for a space on Thursday, but my boyfriend wants to help sell in the space with me. I know I have to have him fill out the "secondary seller" part of the swap meet agreement, but does he have to fill out a second BOE-410-D? Or is it sufficient if I fill it out? We're selling from the same stock of merchandise if that helps.

EDIT: I'm confused. In this thread, it says that you don't have to fill out the BOE form if you're an occasional seller. But on the Swap Meet Reg site, it says "A copy of your seller's permit (if applicable) or BOE-410-D form declaring "occasional seller" status." So do I even need to fill it out?

Quote from: Swap Meet InformationYou are required to have a Sellers Permit if you are selling (even temporarily) new, collectible or handcrafted items, or used items you have purchased for the purpose of reselling to others. You are not required to hold a permit if you are only making occasional sales, or selling products that are not taxable when sold at retail or selling on behalf of a section 6015 retailer (e.g. Avon, Tupperware, etc.).

If you fall under the "occasional sales" category (you sell two or less times per year), all we will need from you is a copy of your swap meet registration.

https://www.boe.ca.gov/formspubs/pub107/ Here is a link from the Board of Equalization site clarifying when you need a permit.

Our apologies if the registration site is confusing. I hope this helps :)
Swap meet staff - 2014

mezzie324

I know for previous years dollies weren't allow to transport stuff for swap meet. Is it allow this year? And if they aren't allowed, what items are allowed for use to transport the goods? (ie rolling suit case, folding shopping carts, etc)

FanFicGuru

Quote from: mezzie324 on May 18, 2015, 01:52:51 PM
I know for previous years dollies weren't allow to transport stuff for swap meet. Is it allow this year? And if they aren't allowed, what items are allowed for use to transport the goods? (ie rolling suit case, folding shopping carts, etc)

As ben mentioned in an earlier response, we are of the mind that carts/dollies are still not allowed to transport items this year. Rolling suitcases are permitted, and as I mentioned before, you are welcome to employ some muscle of your own to help you bring your goods in. Swap meet staff will be limited in the amount of support they can offer in this way.

Chairs will be permitted for all sellers as well, so you don't have to sit on the floor all night :)
Swap meet staff - 2014

Chandra

I was checking out the website and there no badges for Thursday... so does that mean there will be no badge checking to enter swap meet?

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Chandra on May 18, 2015, 07:16:40 PM
I was checking out the website and there no badges for Thursday... so does that mean there will be no badge checking to enter swap meet?

Ben addressed this in an earlier post:

Quote from: ZelyhonFirst and foremost, SWAP MEET SELLERS WILL BE ABLE TO PICK UP VOUCHERS TO GET INTO THE SPECIAL REGISTRATION LINE.  What this means is that if you register for Swap Meet on Thursday or Friday, on the appropriate day, you can come by Swap Meet prior to the opening of Swap Meet (plan on about 5:00 p.m. each day), you will be able to pick up a voucher to get into the "special registration" line at registration.  This will be a faster line than normal registration (which should still be as fast as last year, I hope) and will help Swap Meet sellers to get their badges easily and have them prior to the start of Swap Meet.  That ties directly into point number two...

YOU WILL NEED YOUR FANIMECON BADGE IN ORDER TO SELL ON THURSDAY NIGHT.  Previously, we had said that you would not need to have your Fanime badge when checking in on Thursday.  However, in light of the Special registration vouchers and the ability of sellers to get their badges more quickly, we have decided to revise this policy.  Now, Sellers and seconds will be required to have their Fanime badges when checking in on Thursday.  If this is going to present exceptional hardship for anyone, please e-mail [email protected]

So, buyers will not be required to have their badges on Thursday, but Sellers will, because we will have a system in place so they can receive "vouchers" for an expedited line. If last year is any indication, this shouldn't be necessary as registration moved exceptionally fast, but even if there are some delays in the main line, we have made arrangements so that our sellers can access the "faster" line and get their badges in time for selling on Thursday night.

As Ben mentioned, if this will present an exceptional hardship, feel free to email [email protected]

:D
Swap meet staff - 2014

Ecchi ja Nai

I see that sellers will be able to start checking in an hour to an hour and a half before the start of swap meet each night.  I assume we'll be lining up at the main entrance of the South Hall, the one facing South Market Street.

Will there be any particular order that sellers will be checked in, say by their registration number as in years prior, or will it be first come first served like last year?

bballergerl44

I have a gathering to go to on Friday and I am also selling on Friday. Will it be possible to rush in at 8 with my stuff and still get my spot that I paid for?

mezzie324

Quote from: FanFicGuru on May 18, 2015, 04:42:05 PM
Quote from: mezzie324 on May 18, 2015, 01:52:51 PM

As ben mentioned in an earlier response, we are of the mind that carts/dollies are still not allowed to transport items this year. Rolling suitcases are permitted, and as I mentioned before, you are welcome to employ some muscle of your own to help you bring your goods in. Swap meet staff will be limited in the amount of support they can offer in this way.

Chairs will be permitted for all sellers as well, so you don't have to sit on the floor all night :)

If I get some friends to help me, will they need badges just to help me bring some stuff in?

risli

So I got my two partners for Fridaya and got the forms filled out with our info. However, one of my parnters who has a sellers [ermit is also staff told me that that he thinks I need to to email Swap Meet team because they won't let him sale because he's not in the system.

Kecreed

Hello! Ran through the whole topic and could not find the answer to this question. Do helpers need to bring a sellers permit as well? Just asking to find out how many to print out.

I also don't have any of my helpers in the system as I am unsure which of my friends will be finished with registration beforehand. Is it alright to just enter them manually in the sellers agreement or should I contact swapmeet ASAP?