What are the chances of getting one night [edit: I got it!!]

Started by AnimeJet, March 20, 2015, 09:29:05 AM

AnimeJet

I originally booked my rooms at the Marriot in November when they opened,but I forgot Fanime was a 4 day convention and only booked till Sunday (Booked fri-sun). I didn't realize my mistake till February and added to the waitlist to get that one night. Is it easier for me to get that one night that is for someone looking for the whole weekend or does the hotel wait until entire blocks of days open up for the next person on the list before giving rooms/nights away?

Is it basically impossible to get that one night even if i wait past April 25th? I don't want to invite people into my room if i can't cover them the whole time.

kookiekween99

The waitlist may or may not come through. I had a similar issue at the same hotel, but I emailed and got on the waitlist the very next day. Today I finally got the email changing my reservation.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

SpiritOfKairi

If you want to try the waiting list...well best of luck to you.  Fact is that a lot of people went on that mere hours after housing went live.  Like kookiekween stated, she went on it the day after housing went up and only just now got something.  If you want to try, then go for it, but it's no guarantee.  I'd say your best bet would be to book a room at another hotel outside of Fanime.  Only issues are it's probably going to be either more expensive, further away (or both), and having your stuff at another room just for one night is going to be a pain.  But if you're booking Thursday then at least you'll get to transfer to the Marriott Friday and spend the rest of the weekend there.  One thing to note: if you go that route, make sure you have a car or cab fare in case your room isn't within walking distance.  Also, if you do have a car and will be driving, make sure you leave for the CC early in the morning.  The CC's parking garage fills up quickly, and IIRC trying to get a spot after 9:30-10 is a chore in itself.

jm1991

actually. marriott.com has availability for sunday night 5/24/15  for 129.00 you could just make a separate reservation with them and ask to be assigned the same room for the sunday night stay.

AnimeJet

I added myself to the waitlist when i realized, but it was in feb  :'(

I did see they had a room but not double beds (4 people cry lol)! I booked the king room though just in case. Ah well, i guess i'll panic closer to april 20th.

jm1991

just keep checking every once in a while. people will probably cancel closer to the dates, as soon as you see a double just call the hotel or do it online. :) ps. if you arent a rewards member i would be happy to send you a referral and both get extra bonus points. Plus, they treat better rewards members and assign better rooms than non members. Ive noticed it after i signed up. 

AnimeJet

How come rooms open up instead of going to the next person on the waitlist?

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: AnimeJet on April 07, 2015, 06:07:17 AM
How come rooms open up instead of going to the next person on the waitlist?

It probably has to do with the days booked.  What I mean is, the people on the waitlist are most likely waiting for rooms for the whole weekend.  The rooms opening are those for a single night, which were probably booked in November-January so people could get on the list in the first place.  They then get their room for the weekend, dump the one-night reservation, and it becomes available to the next person who needs it to get on the list.

jm1991

^ sounds about right.
I actually booked a night at the Marriott for Friday 22 for about 330 but will most likely cancel it a day before as i have found a better value hotel for almost 1/4 of the price. Im only keeping it right now in hopes someone desperate would take it off my hands. Might pass it on to a friend that needs friday if he is willing to pay up, plus i have gold membership and get 2 breakfast coupons :/ lol

AnimeJet

OH that makes sense!

I also just got of the waitlist JUST NOW for that extra day, probably because of those people!

Yay, thanks for hanging around here guys :)