Why is everything always late?

Started by citrus, March 29, 2015, 10:48:37 PM

citrus

Seriously, I am sick and tired of almost everything being late and the only thing that isn't late were the opening for hotels. Which in fact were opened very early. The past few years fanime has posted everything late. Some of you may be excited for the convention even when programming hasn't been posted yet. But for my case I am REALLY sick and tired and I'm also, very angry. I've already complained several times about it , but I'll emphasize it again. I am ESPECIALLY sick and tired of guests always being announced very late and somewhere close to the end of April when the con is about to start at April. And I want to know why. Why is everything about the convention always late? Programming, registration for certain things and pretty much everything else.

I payed 55$ for a badge and several people, including myself. Have been struggling just to get a hotel room at the convention. So for a convention  with a very large attendance and with "1000" staff why are we still dealing with everything being late? This is highly unacceptable and I think all of us deserve better.

This is what I notice. Whenever a convention decides to announce things very slowly or not announce anything 1-2 months prior to when the convention stars. That means either the convention is hamstringing things together or they're is doing this on purpose to hide something until it's inevitable to announce whatever they have. This just means the staff or the convention knows with what they have is crap or just not confident in general. And I have this feeling for the past few years.

If anybody is paying attention to fanime's social media, when have they announced ANYTHING? I'm looking at facebook and twitter. the time is the same.

December 18, 2014 " Our Housing and Registration websites will be down for scheduled maintenance from 8 AM to 8 PM PST on Saturday, 12/20."

January 10 " Interested in performing on Stage Zero? The information on how to do this is available on"

March 25 at 3:05pm " We are accepting video entries for our Fanimecon Anime Music Videos. All rules can be found here:"

Is that seriously it? Is this all the announcements they have been posting? From what I'm noticing other conventions already have posted or announced stuff like this. At most even when they're not posting frequently about something. It's usually always something noteworthy. Like maybe a guest announcement in which fanime has absolutely failed to provide even though the convention is drawing pretty close.

Seriously every other convention I'm looking at already HAVE at least 1 guest announcement of some sort, or if anything they post several things showing that they are getting ready for the event they're trying to prepare for their fans.

So why ISN'T fanime doing the same?! I have barely seen any improvement over last year when it came to announcements or programming in general. Yes, fixing the registration line was the best. But that's not enough to accommodate for what I had to deal with in order to be able to attend 2015! For a convention that has over 1000 employees, they're not exactly showing that they're ready for the event. Considering the rare announcements, terrible registration with the hotels and the fact that they have not posted a SINGLE guest announcement when several other cons have already posted guests they're having. It shows those cons are capable of running an event and being able to satisfy several attendees. Fanime has shown barely any competence that they can run their own convention or satisfying a lot of their fans, which is why quite a few current attendees attend to their competition. I wanna know what all the staff have been doing for the past few months because clearly, they're not exactly showing they've been doing the best job of running things. They're all nice but I've yet to see any remote competence.

I want answers. I want to know what the staff have been doing and why everything has been barely announced. Why they haven't posted a single guest yet. Because at this time, I feel that fanime is just hamstringing everything together. I may live close by to fanime and it's only a 2 hour drive but you can be surprised how demanding just driving for 2 hours is. And since the convention is located in San Jose, its no picnic walk driving around. I'd pay 55$ And this is all I get from fanime? I expect better and want better. Considering, on how the staff that run the social media for the convention goes, I highly doubt they'll even answer me. Or even the forum staff well answer me.

I've been pessimistic and cynical ever since I decide to join the forums, and I have valid reasons too. A lot of attendees are excited for fanime but others are also extremely dissapointed for what the convention has been offering or doing. And I will continue to remain this way until the staff or someone changes my way of thinking.

Surely I'm not the only one that thinks of this? If any of you want to correct me or argue my post, feel free as there is a reason why I made this forum in the serious business section.

echoshadow

I highly agree with everything you said. For one why are the people that are slowing things down still working for Fanime? If this was like any normal job, people would have been replaced when the deadline was not meet.

Two months away and not a peep? There's only so much Fanime can hide behind the "by fans for fans" attitude. 

There's really hardly any programing (seems like it anyway.) for Fanime to drag it's feet this late.

This is why Fanime is the bigest hang out con. Cause there's hardly anything program, music or major event wise. Just a nice place to meet up for cosplay gatherings, heck you really don't even need a badge.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Imperial

Its one thing I keep asking bout at staff meetings

its not fair for you guys.

cutiebunny

We discussed this in your last thread, citrus.  You basically have two options: Attend Fanime or Go Elsewhere.  If anyone seriously cared about your complaints, there would have been more of an outpouring of responses by Fanime staff.

Fanime, like many cons, will give you the standard "We only announce guests when the ink is dry on the contract" response, along with the "The guest's agent has requested that we not announce their appearance until such-and-such a date".  While these responses are perfectly valid for some guests, I find it hard to believe that these excuses can be applied to all guests, every year.  Unless, of course, Fanime waits until March to actually get guests, which, by my understanding of the process, would be very, very odd.  I agree with you that it upsets me that Fanime has, for the last several years, waited until May to announce their guests.  Even if there was someone I wanted to see at Fanime, by May, heck, by April, I already have booked my plane tickets to Animazement. 

Citrus, we both seem to attend cons for largely the same reasons - The guests.  Instead of complaining about how poor Fanime's offerings are, drop Fanime and head over to Animazement with me this year.  Am I super excited about Animazement's current offerings?  Other than meeting Kikyo and Belldandy's seiyuu, not really.  But at least I know that I won't feel the weekend will be a complete waste of time.  And I'll get some good BBQ out of it too.

citrus

QuoteWe discussed this in your last thread, citrus.  You basically have two options: Attend Fanime or Go Elsewhere.  If anyone seriously cared about your complaints, there would have been more of an outpouring of responses by Fanime staff.

Fanime, like many cons, will give you the standard "We only announce guests when the ink is dry on the contract" response, along with the "The guest's agent has requested that we not announce their appearance until such-and-such a date".  While these responses are perfectly valid for some guests, I find it hard to believe that these excuses can be applied to all guests, every year.  Unless, of course, Fanime waits until March to actually get guests, which, by my understanding of the process, would be very, very odd.  I agree with you that it upsets me that Fanime has, for the last several years, waited until May to announce their guests.  Even if there was someone I wanted to see at Fanime, by May, heck, by April, I already have booked my plane tickets to Animazement. 

Citrus, we both seem to attend cons for largely the same reasons - The guests.  Instead of complaining about how poor Fanime's offerings are, drop Fanime and head over to Animazement with me this year.  Am I super excited about Animazement's current offerings?  Other than meeting Kikyo and Belldandy's seiyuu, not really.  But at least I know that I won't feel the weekend will be a complete waste of time.  And I'll get some good BBQ out of it too.
Perhaps you are right cutiebunny. All I ever been doing since deciding to join the fanime forums is complain and raging at the convention for doing such terrible job all the time now. I've attended 2014. While seeing big name music artist like HOME MADE KAZOKU perform for the first time was absolutely amazing. Every other guest was absolutely terrible with people I have absolutely no clue who they are. Even if they have some credit such as dubbing fairly popular anime they're either still way too much of a greenhorn to join big name conventions like fanime or there are guest that have absolutely nothing to do with anime or has not had a noteworthy role in a long time. As much as I LOVE and I mean LOVE music more then anything else. I also love guests who work in the anime industry and if there's no balance between the two, even if I had an immensely good time with the music guests. I might as well have been paying an actual ticket for the concert instead of a fanimecon badge. While yes, I had a phenomenal time with the concert. But if everything else at the con sucks. It's just simply not worth it.

I will say that your suggestion of dropping fanimecon and going to Animazement sounds extremely appealing. Unfortunately I'm not sure if I'll be able to attend this year. I'll fully admit That I have a high income to spend because I'm able to attend somewhere like AX which costs a whole lot for plane tickets, transportation and everything else. I am still pretty young and it's only become recent I'm able to travel myself. But so far I've only traveled to the west-coast for conventions and have yet to attend one at the east-coast.

cutiebunny you seem to be a veteran when it comes to conventions. Do you have any advice on how to budget and how to plan flying to another convention that's far away as the east-coast or out of state in general? I love going to conventions and I would be willing to pay a good amount just to have a good time. But at the same time I don't want to bust my wallet. And from an expert such as yourself, do you also have any other recommendations of conventions you go to? Any advice would help me greatly if it means I'll have a better time.

cutiebunny

Just thought I'd let you know that I responded to your question as a PM as I did not want to go off topic too much.

TofuHopper

My boyfriend and I had a big discussion two nights ago about the state of Fanime. This year was extremely stressful on my part as I organize Fanimecon trip every year for my con companions(one who flys in from Finland for the fourth consecutive year) Fanime to us seems to deteriorate our con experience as each year goes by. I'm usually an easy person to entertain but when I am sitting in a foreign city in a hotel lobby on my anniversary day waiting for more than three hours to get a hotel reservation that is 4.5miles away from the convention hurt my soul. I'm happy to say that I got bumped up on the waitlist but from the time of hotel opening til a couple of weeks ago that was extremely rough and stressful. The fact that nothing has been announce yet since hotel opening with just less than two months away from convention date is unsettling. I brought it up with my friends and their response, "What do you expect? It's Fanime." Embarrassing. I think I came on this forum today to write my last opinion/experience of Fanime as a sense of closure. We decided that this year will be our last year. We have decided to go out of state and join many others.
I hope this year the guest would be awesome and let us have loads of fun for our farewell to FanimeCon, indefinitely. 

Oniko

Moving this comment to the other thread, feel it'll be better spent there.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

bobcat888

Quote from: Oniko on April 09, 2015, 09:30:44 AM
Moving this comment to the other thread, feel it'll be better spent there.

Post it on every thread, maybe they'll start paying attention!

Hayao Miyazaki for guest of honor in 2016 or we all protest the next con!!!

Amanojaku

Quote from: citrus on March 30, 2015, 04:10:57 PM
I've attended 2014. While seeing big name music artist like HOME MADE KAZOKU perform for the first time was absolutely amazing. Every other guest was absolutely terrible with people I have absolutely no clue who they are.

Terrible is obviously a matter of personal taste, but if you've never heard of the guest, well, that is on you.
FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku