Lack of guests announcements Re: Guests I Want for Fanimecon 2015!!!!!!!!!!

Started by citrus, April 08, 2015, 02:46:13 AM

citrus

Hey fanime! As of this post its april 9th 2015. Are you just going to keep using your ink so hard that you can't extract anything anymore or are you EVER GOING TO ANNOUNCE YOUR GODDAMN GUESTS!? Oh and news flash everybody. Fanimecon has already announced some of their guests for their steampunk convention counterpart. Yet we have not gotten a SINGLE announcement for their anime convention which it originally started and is their cream of crop. And their has not been any announcements for the convention in general. I know all of you staff are reading this! I know one of you is online every single day! If you are. Why don't you provide answers why guests announcements haven't been announced. Or anything about the convention has been updated?

Oh wait... no matter how many times I ask none and I mean NONE of you are willing to answer! Is it because you can't answer not without getting in trouble? Thats right you never clarified anything like that because nothing has been provided. This is what I think. Either the staff is super lazy or you KNOW your guest roster is going to suck and you won't announce it until very late!

Join the staff you might say to see if I can change things or make a true change? As far as I'm concerned one is already doing that for us and has not made any progress so far.

"i'm really digging how you never answer any of your attendees on any form of social media. you handled your line fiasco, but how about you do something about this lack of communication?"

"Soooo... Guests?"

"Any updates on guests? Or who's getting into Artist Alley? The convention is seven weeks from Friday."

All quotes from facebook, They complain about two things. No guests announcements and LACK of communication with any of your fans. And if you value your fans then COMMUNICATE THEM AND ADDRESS THEIR CONCERNS! But no, as from what I've seen my vocalization is going to remain fruitless and the staff will continue to ignore me. So go ahead and continue to ignore me fanime. Continue to disappoint me and other certain fans that feel the same way as I do. Don't want to disappoint me? Then address and me prove me wrong!

Angelx624

Actually, citrus, there ARE some guest announcements as of today on the website. Do you even check it?? Guessing not since all you seem to do is complain, but that's just my two cents. Carry on.
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

citrus

Quote from: Angelx624 on April 08, 2015, 02:48:48 PM
Actually, citrus, there ARE some guest announcements as of today on the website. Do you even check it?? Guessing not since all you seem to do is complain, but that's just my two cents. Carry on.

Well I apologize If I seem to act rash or angry most of the time. And yes I always DO check every single day for guests announcements. I was not aware as of today on this post that fanime FINALLY made some guests announcements. And in ways I think I have rights to complain, since this is an important issue and it's been what many have been anticipating. If the convention would actually post some guests or showed that they are working hard sooner I wouldn't complain or rage so much. I don't have much to complain for now at least...but since fanime has finally decided to budge with progress, I'll try to trust them and not complain.

Yes I apologize for always complaining everyone but I can't help be on edge with extreme lack of progress in the past few months. But I think that might change now. Still it wouldn't HURT to communicate and ensure there fans they are indeed working...

echoshadow

Holy flying squirrels , batman!!
With only less than 5 weeks away from showtime, they just TODAY posted up 1 guest? And two side performers. How are you not upset at this too?

There is zero need to apologize citrus. I would in fact I'll keep saying what's wrong with Fanime. In fact I really don't see why we shouldn't be grabbing pitch forks and torches this late in the game. 

For the second biggest con in California, to be this disorganized complaints should be flying like crazy.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Angelx624

Quote from: echoshadow on April 08, 2015, 08:30:08 PM

Holy flying squirrels , batman!!
With only less than 5 weeks away from showtime, they just TODAY posted up 1 guest? And two side performers. How are you not upset at this too?

There is zero need to apologize citrus. I would in fact I'll keep saying what's wrong with Fanime. In fact I really don't see why we shouldn't be grabbing pitch forks and torches this late in the game. 

For the second biggest con in California, to be this disorganized complaints should be flying like crazy.
Believe me, I have my complaints, too, but you don't see me literally attacking the forums with mostly complaints. I guess that's just what I get for being more of a positive person. But suit yourself.
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

echoshadow

Quote from: Angelx624 on April 08, 2015, 09:17:58 PM
Believe me, I have my complaints, too, but you don't see me literally attacking the forums with mostly complaints. I guess that's just what I get for being more of a positive person. But suit yourself.

I'm a positive person too, BUT I'm an adult that expects some professionalism from Fanime.
Not sure why smaller two or three day anime cons local and across the country, that are mostly run by "starving" college students, can run things on schedule than a anime con that's in the middle of Silicon Valley. 

By complaining on what is wrong, it makes Fanime's upper management take notice on things they assume are going right, and corrects them. Perfect example: day zero badge pick up lines. It took about 3 years to finally get it right. If it wasn't for that massive complaints on 2013, I'm petty sure upper management would have thought things would be going smooth as usual.

I don't consider attacking the forums by complains, I consider them as tough love attitude. Like a  figuratively slap up the head to wake up some dude sleeping on the job. 
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

cutiebunny

Quote from: echoshadow on April 08, 2015, 11:26:08 PM
By complaining on what is wrong, it makes Fanime's upper management take notice on things they assume are going right, and corrects them. Perfect example: day zero badge pick up lines. It took about 3 years to finally get it right. If it wasn't for that massive complaints on 2013, I'm petty sure upper management would have thought things would be going smooth as usual.

And therein lies the problem; With the exception of a handful of people, no one is complaining.  It's just the same 10 people or so.  Management doesn't care because their bottom line has yet to be affected.  As long as record numbers of attendees show up every year, there is really no incentive to announce things earlier.

I'd be willing to bet that Yamaga will be at Fanime again this year.  Because Yamaga is at Fanime almost every year.

SweetNiar

Incentive or not there should be announcements about guests well before April.  Have they even used Twitter and Facebook to announce these guests?  Or anything lately? :\

Angelx624

Alright, you do have a point there. The badge pick-ups did finally see a major step up last year, and I was relieved about that. Though I would hope that us continuing to suggest guests in the threads regarding those matters would hopefully make a light bulb go off in their head, that since we continue to throw out names of big-name guests, they would realize that maybe it's about time they actually tried harder in getting them. I don't know, I mean I see that they do see our suggestions, but what we're not sure of is how hard do they try in actually getting those guests??
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

citrus

Quote from: SweetNiar on April 09, 2015, 07:49:17 PM
Incentive or not there should be announcements about guests well before April.  Have they even used Twitter and Facebook to announce these guests?  Or anything lately? :\
They do... but they BARELY even use it and they never communicate with the fans complaints either. Both on facebook, twitter and the forums themselves. Given the lack of objection or comments from the staff themselves. They just give me the impression, they could care less about their fans.

And I've said it once and I'll say it again. They're tagline "For fans by fans" and pardon me for my french is full of bull**** now. If it's so much for by fans. They would address their fans complaints, be more organized and overall do a better job with the convention. That tagline use to be fairly valid but not anymore. Given with how the convention has performed. I don't think they even deserve it if they have unhappy attendees going to other competitors for a good time. Or have others constantly badmouth the convention through other competitors convention forums. I recently attend Sakura-con for the first time. While it did have a fair amount of issues. I was able to overlook them due to their fairly solid guest roster and programming. I had an immensely good time compared to the last few years of fanimecon. And when I was at Sakura-con I overheard 3 people talking about fanime and one of them said "Isn't fanimecon 50% full of **** now?" And all three of them agreed that it has really gone downhill. One of them I know was a vendor and also a recent staff member of another con called Touhoucon.

While I have no idea what issues a vendor deals with at fanime but it's clear that even people that sells things during the con agree with the general attendees. Artists included to I bet.

I also got some information from the fanime facebook staff straight out of their mouth. Shocking!

"There's never going to be an "early enough" time to announce everyone, but we still have to wait until everything is confirmed. There's not much we can do other than wait for things to be confirmed and unfortunately it is preferred to not mention guests that we are in negotiations with."

So from what I'm understanding is. The reason why your not announcing guests is because your STILL negotiating for guests and waiting for them to confirm?! Now I understand that it does take time to negotiate and confirm guests fanime had an ENTIRE YEAR to negotiate for guests! Now I want to know is. What the heck has the staff been doing for the entire year then!? As far as I'm concerned either the staff is super lazy and decided to progressinate or the staff who is in charge of negotiating guests is absolutely horrible with their jobs! Maybe if they had done a better job in the first place we would get earlier announcements! And yes I understand that you can't announce EVERYONE early. But you could at least confirm some at an early time! For example take my local animecon sac-anime. The convention is held every 6 months meaning it has a summer and winter con. And before even the con started they already had 8 guests that were going to be either at the summer or winter show confirmed on a flyer they had at-con. So what does this mean? It means that the staff are actually GOOD at their jobs! Or for example a big con like AX. While last year was their worst year ever. They had at least announced some guests 3-4 months prior to the con, giving enough time for people to decide whether or not they should go!

I'm reading other threads and just because fanimecon racks in the most money for San Jose out of all other events doesn't mean its GOOD! While not everyone convention is perfect, the complaints I have for some of them I can overlook easily. But for fanimecon's case? They got too many problems that it's highly unacceptable!

I only pray fanimecon will get their act together one day...

cutiebunny

I dunno, Citrus, but I think your energy could be better spent elsewhere.  Fanime is certainly not going to change for the better by you continually posting your complaints.  If staff seriously cared, action would have been taken.  This action would have been taken years ago, after the lackluster guest list and late announcements (two weeks before Fanime in 2012).  You are doing no one a service by continually complaining; Staff is aware and either doesn't care or doesn't have the manpower to address your concerns.  If Fanime has a large dip in attendance this year, perhaps then they will consider your advice.  But as long as people flock to the con and Fanime earns revenue, in the eyes of the upper management and investors, there is no need to change the status quo.  AX is a perfect example of this; The only time things improve is when hundreds of people post complaints on Facebook.  As these people aren't posting on Fanime's page, your criticism hasn't even registered a blip.

As I've said in the other threads; If you have the money to do so, go elsewhere.  Dealing with 12,500 at Animazement is a lot nicer than 25K at Fanime.

citrus

Quote from: cutiebunny on April 11, 2015, 08:07:08 PM
I dunno, Citrus, but I think your energy could be better spent elsewhere.  Fanime is certainly not going to change for the better by you continually posting your complaints.  If staff seriously cared, action would have been taken.  This action would have been taken years ago, after the lackluster guest list and late announcements (two weeks before Fanime in 2012).  You are doing no one a service by continually complaining; Staff is aware and either doesn't care or doesn't have the manpower to address your concerns.  If Fanime has a large dip in attendance this year, perhaps then they will consider your advice.  But as long as people flock to the con and Fanime earns revenue, in the eyes of the upper management and investors, there is no need to change the status quo.  AX is a perfect example of this; The only time things improve is when hundreds of people post complaints on Facebook.  As these people aren't posting on Fanime's page, your criticism hasn't even registered a blip.

As I've said in the other threads; If you have the money to do so, go elsewhere.  Dealing with 12,500 at Animazement is a lot nicer than 25K at Fanime.
I suppose your right... I can't really argue with what you stated. The reason why I continually complained in the forums was because I truly hoped and believe that the staff would actually acknowledge me or at least others and address me straight on. But it seems like you said. I'm doing no one a service and after continually complaining, the results are bearing no fruit at all. The only thing that fanime did change, was the registration line and that's pretty much it. Complaints for everyone else seems to be bear minimum or non-existent.

I do have to admit I am sick and tired of fueling all my energy complaining so I'll take your advice and spend my energy elsewhere.

Pandah

Been attending since 1998, Ive seen it grow like you cant imagine, I remember how excited I use to be and atmosphere of this con has always been great. But it was nice that registration improved, but swapmeets gained a new problem(its line). I don't know for sure cause I cant remember atm, did swampmeet need badge to access(2014)? Cause if not it should be changed. It should be a perk for pre-registers like it use to be.

As for Guests why aren't you asking local people? We have Vampybitme, whos very nice and a well known Cosplayer, I'm sure people would love to meet her at a panel, instead of randomly at the con floor.

I know you might not know about Long Vo, but hes an amazing artist that was just at comic-con in Dubai and he has fans everywhere. And usually gets Booths at cons and does drawings of favorite characters for people.

What about Mari Iijima I remember her from the 2nd con at fanime, shes old school, everyone knows about Macross.  Shes always at Macross world con, she performs, shes super nice. And it would bring in Older Fans of anime easily.

So I usually never complain or post on forums cause you guys usually handle yourselves well enough. But this time around you guys need to make more of an effort. I'm sure you're all working hard, maybe work a lil harder for 2016. And ask Vampy, Long Vo, and Mari Iijima whos been a guest here before to come back.

ewu

We are expanding from the traditional guest model. Examples of this are WindOfTheStars and the Chalk Twins. Please suggest them in the main guests thread and we will look into bringing them to con 2016.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

cutiebunny

Quote from: ewu on April 14, 2015, 07:18:59 PM
We are expanding from the traditional guest model. Examples of this are WindOfTheStars and the Chalk Twins.

Booking hotel for Animazement 2016 now.

citrus

So ewu you FINALLY decided to come out and give a reply. So your saying all guests are set and we can suggests guest for 2016? Then what's the point in using the 2015 guest suggestion then!? We put A LOT of effort and time making the list the guests we want at fanime 2015. And you made it clear that all guests for fanime are all set and is no longer negotiating or finding anymore guests it seems. Then what the was the point of guest suggestion thread we made for 2015!? Cause its now clear its useless. Suggest your guest for the guest suggestion thread for 2016? You got ****ING KIDDING ME! Even if we do so are you guys gonna actually give us what we suggest and get the guest we want next year? Whatever upcoming guests you have I be won't be even that great. And if you want our feedback for guests in 2016. READ THEM AND GIVE WHAT YOUR FANS WANT! I'm done talking. Its useless to talk to the admin that posted here. He's just gonna bail and not answer anything...

Nina Star 9

Quote from: citrus on April 17, 2015, 03:36:09 AM
So ewu you FINALLY decided to come out and give a reply. So your saying all guests are set and we can suggests guest for 2016? Then what's the point in using the 2015 guest suggestion then!? We put A LOT of effort and time making the list the guests we want at fanime 2015. And you made it clear that all guests for fanime are all set and is no longer negotiating or finding anymore guests it seems. Then what the was the point of guest suggestion thread we made for 2015!? Cause its now clear its useless. Suggest your guest for the guest suggestion thread for 2016? You got ****ING KIDDING ME! Even if we do so are you guys gonna actually give us what we suggest and get the guest we want next year? Whatever upcoming guests you have I be won't be even that great. And if you want our feedback for guests in 2016. READ THEM AND GIVE WHAT YOUR FANS WANT! I'm done talking. Its useless to talk to the admin that posted here. He's just gonna bail and not answer anything...
I'm not sure I'm understanding your post. The point of the guest suggestion thread for 2015 was that, right after the con when the thread was made, people could suggest guests for the upcoming year, and had a whole year to do so.

Honestly, I would hope that a month out, the guests would already be set (and announced a few months ago but that's a bit much to ask of this con ;P) and that they wouldn't be looking at new guests for this year, but instead for next year.

Quote from: ewu on April 14, 2015, 07:18:59 PM
We are expanding from the traditional guest model. Examples of this are WindOfTheStars and the Chalk Twins. Please suggest them in the main guests thread and we will look into bringing them to con 2016.
Thanks for the reply, ewu. Though, I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed in the guest offerings. The Chalk Twins sound potentially interesting, but maybe as a guest to add to an already solid lineup, and not as the lineup itself. Having cosplay guests is cool, but as far as I know, this particular cosplayer is mostly local and goes to this con most years anyway, so it isn't that big of a draw to see someone I would probably see anyway, if I were interested in meeting her.

I'm hoping for a more solid lineup to be announced later, but I'm doubting that will happen. It seems like the con would want to come out with some bigger guests first to make an impact and draw in a crowd, so I'm afraid that these are the most interesting guests that the con has.

Dracil

If this is the direction Fanime is going then maybe it's time to expand from Fanime as the traditional spring con.  Sakuracon for the spring anime con and maybe Kublacon for the May time slot.

What's the point of suggesting guests if there's no indication they ever matter? Neither Chalk Twins nor WindOfTheStars show up in what people were requesting so it's not like they were picked because people wanted them.  Meanwhile, how many of the guests people suggested past for 2015 have been announced?

Sunara Ishi

Not too thrilled about the guest lineup. Sure, the Chalk Twins sound cool but I'm not sure I would want to travel 6hrs to see them. And really hoping this cosplayer isn't another one with an over-inflated ego but one that is actually nice & has some good advice. So far, the only one I'm somewhat interested in is Kazuhiro Soeta. I really hope the guests yet to be announced are awesome.

I'll see how this year goes and then decide if its worth it to come back.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Imperial

Trust me, This is not a business model at all for a convention. I really don't know if the con will live by this model for 3 more years. using this model in radio business KILLS stations. I really am biting my tongue on this, and you all have big points, but I won't say anything until we have all the guest, and compare to the lists of guest requests for the last 2 years. And then I just will have a talk with the head of con, and talk this out.