Karaoke Contest Contestant Chat [2015]

Started by loconeko, April 09, 2015, 11:37:19 AM

Tris-chan

FINALLY figured out my songs - for once, one is from an anime (I'm an idol fan more than an anime fan.)
And neither are from idols.
This will be very weird for me.

Enkai

So who all is getting excited? With the time limit change, I changed my prelim song choice again, to something that has a good minute segment, but is WAY more ambitious than I was initially going to undertake. It's rare to have a song that goes both into the low end AND high end of my range.

So we'll see how it goes. This song is one where the option is either be amazing or crash and burn in flames. No in between. I MIGHT be crazy.

But it's at that early stage where I am energized by the thought of a challenge. Ask me again how I am feeling about it in a couple weeks.

loconeko

I don't think the time change is too bad.  In the past, I usually stopped after the 1st chorus.  To me, stopping in the middle of 2nd verse felt weird.  Lol.

But I'm super stoked for this year!   ;D  I can't wait! 

Enkai

I might be affected by the new limit more than most, but that's because the pool of songs I usually choose from usually have neither TV versions nor a verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus format. I always chose something either shorter than 2 minutes, or gave me 1:30-2:00 of singing with a cutoff that wasn't completely awkward.  My pick before finding out about the rule change I think was 1:57 for the entire song.

But I am weird and try to chose almost exclusively from Seramyu villain songs. I know it might not be the easiest method of song selection, but it's the most fun for me.

I suppose learning songs from other musicals might be worth my time, but villains just have the coolest songs!

pantsu

Just wanted to pop in and tell everyone to read the new rules googledoc very carefully.  Not only is there a time limit change for the prelims, but now one of your songs MUST be from an anime.  Just got confirmation of this in the other thread, so I wanted to make sure everyone else knew about it too.

Can't wait....have my songs picked out I think!
2018 lineup:
Fri - Miss Frizzle
Sat - Oren Pierre Alfonso (KR Gaim)
Sun - General Leia (SW: TFA)
Mon - Samwell jersey (OMG Check Please!)

kotomikun

The google doc doesn't seem to mention it, but as they said in the other thread, the time limit doesn't start until you start singing (so a short instrumental intro doesn't count). And the "OR verse/chorus" thing seemingly means you can go a bit past 1:30 if you're almost done at that time, but you might want to ask them about that.

The weird middle half of an irregularly-structured song I was planning on is only 1:20, so that should be fine if I don't change my mind, which I probably will. :P

Hiyuki Hime

im good to go~ wheee~ this will be fun C:

ZeroBudgetGamer

I've got my songs all picked out, now I just need to practice!  My buddy I always go to cons with might even do some Karaoke for fun this time, so I'm super excited!

loconeko

I didn't know you could add a metronome to beginning to count yourself in.  No awkward start!  WOOHOO!   ;D

Sygmus

There's a time limit change? Where can I read the new rules?

coriechan

MAN we are down to the final wire here! :')

I'm thinking Unravel and Fukai Mori....but we'll see if those don't change into repeats of what I've always done haha

Cosplay List 2015:
- Jasper [Steven Universe]
-Cosmo [Fairly Odd Parents]

Enkai

Quote from: Sygmus on April 30, 2015, 12:57:55 PM
There's a time limit change? Where can I read the new rules?

I was wondering if you were planning on competing again! :-D

New rules are here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LIyGMrSz0llaryhLynRjoffnmOO5RXdH4MpAh3rgE20/edit

Quick summary of the significant changes: If you're doing version with a TV edit, the rule change isn't significant; it's more a limitation if you were planning on singing a full 2 minutes.  At least one anime-related song is required, and the rules as far as what we can do editing wise (cropping the song, pitch changes, etc) are a little looser than they've been in the past.

Nina Star 9

Alright, with the new time limits, this changes my possible song choice(s).

I could stick with the song I was originally going to do and just sing a different part (second verse + chorus or bridge + last chorus)
I could change to the song I was practicing before last SacAnime Winter (but was too sick to sing -- would probably do second verse + chorus or bridge + final chorus again)
I could change to this song that I kind of like (but it isn't as good as Joyful World, though it's the same band) but have always felt that the opening segment before the instrumental was too short, but it fits the new time limits pretty well

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards sticking with Joyful World, though I'd like to practice up a song by the same band as the second song by SacAnime Summer for the finals round, so it might be good to sing that song this time so it won't end up paired with a song by the same artist. Plus, I've been wanting to sing it since January!
I might just go with Single Mother A Go Go!! if for nothing else but the title, lol.

princesskitty18

and signed up! ;D
put in two songs that will probably be changed later.
and now for the second half of waiting
:D
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

coriechan

Anyone else getting an error message when they submit their song choices for karaoke? D:
Cosplay List 2015:

princesskitty18

Quote from: coriechan on May 01, 2015, 03:14:58 PM
Anyone else getting an error message when they submit their song choices for karaoke? D:
what does the error message say? i signed up with no problems.

coriechan

Quote from: princesskitty18 on May 01, 2015, 03:15:34 PM

Entry failed. Please double-check your information and try againYou have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'm Alive','' ,'')' at line 2

I have absolutely no idea what that means :')
Cosplay List 2015:

Enkai

Woo, signed up.  Signups went up a couple minutes later than I was expecting.  I managed to leave work early, but I got home RIGHT at 3PM. I was sitting in my driveway refreshing until I decided I had enough time to at least move the car to the garage and go inside.

loconeko

Quote from: coriechan on May 01, 2015, 03:21:41 PM

Entry failed. Please double-check your information and try againYou have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'm Alive','' ,'')' at line 2

Maybe you typed in something wrong?  Maybe try it again and see if you get the same message?

princesskitty18

Quote from: coriechan on May 01, 2015, 03:21:41 PM

hmm..i also have no idea what that means
the only thing that i can think of with regards to an error message is possibly inputting ur information wrong?
either refresh or close out that page and try again?
ska would be the best person to answer any questions