FANIMECON 2015 KARAOKE: Events and Info!

Started by Ska, April 18, 2015, 05:48:48 PM

Ska

Whether you sing in the shower or on the radio, you're welcome to FanimeCon's Karaoke room! Open from 2pm to 2am on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, you are welcome to sign up for open mic Karaoke, participate in one of our amazing contests, or just come and listen to all the great singers! With our jaw-dropping catalog of over 9,000 anime, video game, J-Pop, K-Pop, and Disney songs (most with lyrics in both their native language and English) as well as a full American karaoke system, our database likely contains every song you have ever heard in your entire life.

Be sure to check out our enticing contests, too! With some great prizes and unique formats, your voice may win you big!

Events:
Karaoke Contest
How good is your singing, really? Can you hit the highest highs and the lowest lows? Can you carry a tune, or will you just be dragging it through the mud? FanimeCon's Karaoke Contest is the place to find out how good you really are. Friday night, with Preliminary Rounds starting at 6pm and Final Rounds at 9pm, be at the Karaoke Room to have your chance for the sweet, sweet sound of victory. New for FanimeCon 2015, winners of the Karaoke Contest will be offered a chance to give an encore performance during the Masquerade!
Prelims: Friday at 6pm
Finals: Friday at 9pm

KARAOKE CONTEST ONLINE SIGNUPS ARE CLOSED
All 35 entries have been filled for the online signups. Please show up bright and early at the karaoke room if you would still like to sign up. First come, first serve!

We will only accept the first 35 valid entries for pre-con signups. We do have at-con signups but they are first come, first serve. These at-con slots fill up quickly, so if you're serious about participating make sure to sign up early!

KARAOKE CONTEST RULES AND INFO
FanimeCon Karaoke Contest Rules and Info can be found at The Google Doc

Acoustikaraoke
Acoustikaraoke Signup Form:FanimeCon 2015 Acoustikaraoke Signup Form
Do you play a musical instrument? Show off your own original work or special arrangement of your favorite anime or video game song on stage at our Acoustikaraoke contest! Both (small) groups and solo acts are welcome to compete their talents against one another. Do not miss this amazing collection of FanimeCon's most unique performances!
Saturday at 7pm

Karaoke Gong Show
Gong Show Signup Form:FanimeCon 2015 Gong Show Signup Form
Sunday at 10pm begins the most foul Karaoke journey ever attempted on stage -- the Karaoke Gong Show! If your skin is thick enough and your mind twisted enough then you've got a fighting chance at being the dreaded Worst of Show! Yes that's right, these performers have what it takes to entertain, to amuse and amaze our audience (and judges) with such unique and outlandish acts of comedy that they might completely defy any and all explanation. Due to how terrible these novelty acts (and the judges) are, this is an 18+ event.
Sunday at 10pm

More specific contest rules and info will be posted in the coming days, so please look forward to that. Feel free to use this thread to discuss our events, ask questions about our contests, or just to ask how karaoke at FanimeCon works. I'll try my best to answer any questions you may have. Thank you for reading, and let's get excited for Karaoke at FanimeCon 2015!

Jupeboxgal

Hi Ska! Thanks for getting The Official Post up! :D I do have a couple of questions about this year's karaoke contest.

1) Are the song time limits still 2:00 for the first round and 5:00 for the finals?
2) Is it still okay to add a note or two and a few moments of silence to the beginning of a karaoke track where the singing starts before the instrumentals?
3) Are we allowed to bring and or use props while on stage?
And, lastly, 4) It's still illegal to record your own harmonies to a karaoke track, right?

Thanks for taking up the mantle this year. Really looking forward to another excellent weekend of karaoke!

Alexie828

Where's the link to the list of songs that are already available in the karaoke library? :) And can we request new songs to be added like in previous years?

princesskitty18

yay for the official post and stuffs! thanks ska :D
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Ska

I'll be posting full contest rules after I get them double-checked for inconsistencies, but all these questions are super important, FAQ-level ones so I'm happy to answer them!

Quote from: Jupeboxgal on April 18, 2015, 10:58:49 PM
1) Are the song time limits still 2:00 for the first round and 5:00 for the finals?
Our preliminary song limit actually changed a couple years ago. In the rules it's now stated as:

Quote from: KKD Contest Rules
Preliminary/Qualifying Round
1.5 minute OR verse/chorus
The timing starts from when singing starts. These rules will allow you to perform a song that is edited for a TV opening or ending. For more unorthodox songs, a minute will give you plenty of time to show your stuff. These are soft limits and you are faded out gradually depending on where you are in your performance and other factors. You're always welcome to start your song at a certain point, or fade out after a limit you set for yourself though! Just talk to me about it at the tech desk and we'll make it work.

2) Is it still okay to add a note or two and a few moments of silence to the beginning of a karaoke track where the singing starts before the instrumentals?
Yes, this is allowed. Please reference the full rules when they are posted for more specific info on what is and is not allowed as far as Count-offs and pitch-centering additions.

3) Are we allowed to bring and or use props while on stage?
This is actually a new rule we've recently added to our contest rules. As such, I'll list it here in its entirety rather than try to explain it :3c

Any props carried on stage must be relevant to your costume or outfit and not impact or disrupt your performance in any way.
Props that alter the lighting or staging of your performance are not allowed.
You must clear all prop usage with staff before your performance.
Cosplay prop usage may be considered as a minimal factor in your overall stage presence/performance but will not impact your score.
Good Example: A staff that matches your costume which you incorporate into a light dance routine.
Bad Example: A prop that spews confetti on the stage and audience, or adds a laser light beam/fog machine effect.

4) It's still illegal to record your own harmonies to a karaoke track, right?
This is correct. We don't want the best producer to win, we want it to be based purely on the singer.

Quote from: Alexie828 on April 20, 2015, 02:19:11 AM
Where's the link to the list of songs that are already available in the karaoke library? :) And can we request new songs to be added like in previous years?
Our song list is located at http://www.anime-karaoke.com
I'll start a thread for new song requests if there isn't already one/no one makes one before me. As always, we can't promise we will get all of the songs you want, but we will definitely try!

princesskitty18

Quote from: Ska on April 20, 2015, 12:35:56 PM
I'll be posting full contest rules after I get them double-checked for inconsistencies, but all these questions are super important, FAQ-level ones so I'm happy to answer them!

Our preliminary song limit actually changed a couple years ago. In the rules it's now stated as:

Preliminary/Qualifying Round
1 minute OR verse/chorus (individual category)
2.5 minutes or less OR 2verse/chorus (group category)
The timing starts from when singing starts. These rules will allow you to perform a song that is edited for a TV opening or ending. For more unorthodox songs, a minute will give you plenty of time to show your stuff. These are soft limits and you are faded out gradually depending on where you are in your performance and other factors. You're always welcome to start your song at a certain point, or fade out after a limit you set for yourself though! Just talk to me about it at the tech desk and we'll make it work.

what? O.o since when did the preliminary time alloted changed? cuz last year it was still 2mins
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Enkai

Quote from: princesskitty18 on April 20, 2015, 12:44:08 PM

what? O.o since when did the preliminary time alloted changed? cuz last year it was still 2mins

Ditto this.  I competed 2 years ago, and it was definitely 2 minutes then (as somebody who does the unorthodox songs, I would have been caught up in that change).  That really screws with my song choice - are you allowing us now to start in the middle of the song, because a lot of songs don't really start getting showy until at least a minute in.

Edit to add: just looked up the 2014 rule thread; it was 2 minutes last year.
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,19346.0.html
Quote from: Hank-KKD on May 06, 2014, 10:13:05 PM
Song Selection

Songs must be from the following categories: anime, vocaloid, video game, or J-rock/J-pop. K-pop is allowed in the preliminary round only. Although our karaoke database has songs from other categories, only songs from the aforementioned categories may be used. Signups with songs not in these categories will be rejected.

Songs limits: 2:00 (preliminary), 5:00 (finals). Songs longer than these limits will be faded out when the limit is reached.

Ska

Sorry, you're right, it seems the rules for 2014 on the forums say it was 2 minutes. I thought FanimeCon had been running the current format for longer, but I must have been confused with one of our other shows. If that's the case, I suppose this ruling is new for 2015. I've already double-checked with Tommy and he confirmed that we'll be using this format.

There are three reasons for this change:
1) We want to let as many people into the contest as possible
2) We want everyone to be judged fairly, which mean we need to keep the judges' impressions fresh
3) A single verse/chorus structure is an acceptable preliminary measure of what you have to display in the contest

We absolutely encourage you to start wherever you want in the song. Also remember that this limit begins where you first start singing, not when we first hit play. We want you to get to that showy bit, and we want for you to impress us! Our intent is not to stifle your creativity or make you feel rushed. We just want to ensure that everyone gives their best performance. If you have any other specific questions about this rule, I'm glad to answer more questions about it, or ask Tommy to give his expert opinion.

[Edit]: In the previous post, I said that groups had a different time than individuals. This is false. Apologies. Groups have the same time limit as individuals.
[Edit 2]: After putting together the full rulelist specifically for fanime, we opted to change the Preliminary times to "1.5minutes or verse/chrous" to prevent any confusion or anxiety over song choice. While the previous limit worked in past cons, we don't want to give the impression that you couldn't even perform a TV Size song to completion. Apologies for giving out information before it had been finalized.
[Edit 3]: Contest Rules and Info have been added to the main post! just follow the link provided.

Enkai

Thanks for the update.  Still changes my song (it was a perfect 2 minutes, but doesn't really work any other way), but being allowed to start later helps a lot with my final choice.

2 more questions -
IIRC, 2 years ago, we were able to apply our vocal dampening ourselves.  Is that still acceptable?
Since we can start wherever, how would you prefer we do that?  Do you want us to just say, start at :45 or something like that, or is it okay if we crop our file where we want to start?

I use audacity for all of that.  Nothing fancy, but it works.

Ska

Applying your own vocal dampening is allowed.

Feel free to crop the song exactly to where you want to start and finish. Otherwise, just telling me what time to start or stop is fine. But giving me less work is always appreciated! You never know if I'll get distracted by someone asking a question or another technical issue.

Moogleborg

I'll be ready! :D My karaoke skills are ready to HENSHIN! :D
Running on moé, 24/7/365.