FANIMECON 2015 KARAOKE: Events and Info!

Started by Ska, April 18, 2015, 05:48:48 PM

tianyan

Hello!

Frequented the karaoke room last year, and by frequented I mean listened to singers! 
Missed the actual contest though, but I'm debating on giving this a shot!

A couple questions:

Are both the individual and group entries combined in the same karaoke contest?  Or are they separate contests?
And if they're part of the same contest, are individual and group entries judged differently?

Thanks a bunch!

princesskitty18

Quote from: tianyan on April 28, 2015, 10:13:59 AM
Hello!

Frequented the karaoke room last year, and by frequented I mean listened to singers! 
Missed the actual contest though, but I'm debating on giving this a shot!

A couple questions:

Are both the individual and group entries combined in the same karaoke contest?  Or are they separate contests?
And if they're part of the same contest, are individual and group entries judged differently?

Thanks a bunch!

can't answer the question about being judged differently although i doubt the differences are significant.
but yes both individuals and groups sing in the same contest.
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

tianyan

Thanks for the response!

Follow-up Question:
If I'm reading the rules correctly, it state that a contestant can sign up for both the individual and group category.
Theoretically, does that mean a contestant can pass the preliminary round twice and appear twice in the finals? Or is there some sort of exception if this is the case?

Thanks again!

princesskitty18

Quote from: tianyan on April 28, 2015, 11:02:05 AM
Thanks for the response!

Follow-up Question:
If I'm reading the rules correctly, it state that a contestant can sign up for both the individual and group category.
Theoretically, does that mean a contestant can pass the preliminary round twice and appear twice in the finals? Or is there some sort of exception if this is the case?

Thanks again!
huh...
i just read the rules and that is definitely something new imo
because in my years of participating, that has never been the case or no one has done something like that
SKAAAAAAA!!! HALPPPPPPPP
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Ska

Quote from: marisuga on April 28, 2015, 12:49:44 AM
So what are the prizes? (Just curious!) Does first place still get to sing in the masquerade?
Prizes haven't been decided on yet, but it should be pretty decent. All I can say about that.

Quote from: tianyan on April 28, 2015, 10:13:59 AM
Both groups and individuals are combined in the same contest. The top ten entries in the preliminaries will move on to the finals.

Quote from: tianyan on April 28, 2015, 11:02:05 AM
This was a mistake, Apologies for the oversight. Because of Fanime's contest format, we only allow a person to sign up for one category.

tianyan

Awesome!

Thank you for the clarification!

Enkai

Quote from: Ska on April 28, 2015, 12:13:32 PM
Quote from: marisuga on April 28, 2015, 12:49:44 AM
So what are the prizes? (Just curious!) Does first place still get to sing in the masquerade?
Prizes haven't been decided on yet, but it should be pretty decent. All I can say about that.

I'm a little surprised at this response, actually.  I was considering entering masquerade as well, and considering a skit with some level of singing at the focus.  The head of masquerade is telling people that the winner of karaoke will be at masquerade here: (link: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,19906.msg483183.html#msg483183)

Quote from: Erik_anderson on March 22, 2015, 10:03:48 PM

Quote3. Will the karaoke winner be singing in masquerade this year?

Yes, the winner is the opening act after the introductions, to get us kicked off.

I don't really care one way or another (especially now that I decided to drop masquerade), but I am confused by the inconsistency.

Ska

There's no need to be confused. If Erik confirmed the contest winner performs in masquerade, then that's what happens. It's their show, not ours! I was just trying to double-check to make sure that agreement is still in place before I confirmed it. Can't blame me considering how many other silly mistakes I keep making, can you? :3c

ZeroBudgetGamer

Quote from: Ska on April 20, 2015, 12:35:56 PM
Quote from: Jupeboxgal on April 18, 2015, 10:58:49 PM
1) Are the song time limits still 2:00 for the first round and 5:00 for the finals?
Our preliminary song limit actually changed a couple years ago. In the rules it's now stated as:

Quote from: KKD Contest Rules
Preliminary/Qualifying Round
1.5 minute OR verse/chorus
The timing starts from when singing starts. These rules will allow you to perform a song that is edited for a TV opening or ending. For more unorthodox songs, a minute will give you plenty of time to show your stuff. These are soft limits and you are faded out gradually depending on where you are in your performance and other factors. You're always welcome to start your song at a certain point, or fade out after a limit you set for yourself though! Just talk to me about it at the tech desk and we'll make it work.

Oh no!  I was hoping to sing Bink's Sake from One Piece as my opening run.  During Winter's Sac-Anime, the guys running that one let another person sing that song from beginning to end, I guess because the only valid stopping point (EDIT: Break in the singing) is around 1:15 in, 1:05 when you cut the no-singing beginning.  I love that song, but until then I never considered singing it because it was too long for a round one entry and too short (IMO) for a round two entry, so I got hyped when I thought I could sing it the whole way through as a round one.  There's not really a good point to cut into it midway, either.  Do I have to find another choice now?

...or, as a second thought, am I allowed to keep singing after you fade me out?  At least until I get to a valid stopping point in the song?  I certainly wouldn't want to get cut-off mid-verse.

Enkai

Quote from: Ska on April 28, 2015, 10:18:53 PM
There's no need to be confused. If Erik confirmed the contest winner performs in masquerade, then that's what happens. It's their show, not ours! I was just trying to double-check to make sure that agreement is still in place before I confirmed it. Can't blame me considering how many other silly mistakes I keep making, can you? :3c

Oh don't worry, I wasn't blaming you at all! :-) Not assuming something is confirmed is a good policy!  I've gotten more aware of indirect communication lately, and it read like there was a firm yes missing, but I likewise didn't want to assume.

Ska

Quote from: ZeroBudgetGamer on April 28, 2015, 10:24:31 PM
Oh no!  I was hoping to sing Bink's Sake from One Piece as my opening run. .... Do I have to find another choice now?

...or, as a second thought, am I allowed to keep singing after you fade me out?  At least until I get to a valid stopping point in the song?  I certainly wouldn't want to get cut-off mid-verse.

I can't comment on what we've done for other shows (I didn't get to go to the specific show in question this year, boo) So I don't know what was allowed or why. Can only tell ya what we're doing for Fanime right now.

The time limit is one and a half minutes, so you could stop yourself at the 1:15 time and be fine. Remember, you aren't penalized for cutting your performance shorter than 1:30, so do what feels natural as far as that goes. Do you have to find another choice? I can't help there, that's ultimately your decision.

You are not allowed to continue singing after being faded out. Sorry, it would be unfair to other performers. Instead, when you practice take note of how long the song has been going and how long you have been singing, and stop yourself when you get close to the limit, so when you're on stage you can simply take a bow and say thank you, and you won't leave it up to me to fade you out.

That's a good note for everyone, honestly: Be proactive about things like your time limit. Don't depend on me to do what you think is right, because I might hear it a completely different way and fade you out ten seconds before you think I should have. Learn your limit and stick to it. If you practiced but are still worried about being faded out on, tell me during warm-ups. We'll figure it out to make sure it's a valid timing and that we're both on board with what will happen. Then remind me when it's time for your performance (I got a lot to remember!) Cool? Cool.

coriechan

Question!
If we've done the contest before but it was YEARS ago, are we allowed to pick the same songs as before? Or at least one? I know it'd be shooting it back to do it, but just for kicks is it allowed?
Cosplay List 2015:
- Jasper [Steven Universe]
-Cosmo [Fairly Odd Parents]

jedisurvivor

Pardon me if this question was already asked, but would I be allowed to sing the same song for both the prelim and final rounds?

Thanks!

Ska

Quote from: coriechan on April 30, 2015, 03:13:33 PM
Question!
If we've done the contest before but it was YEARS ago, are we allowed to pick the same songs as before? Or at least one? I know it'd be shooting it back to do it, but just for kicks is it allowed?

Your song choice is your decision entirely. I've never heard of a restriction on song choice due to what you've sang in a previous year, even if you've placed using the song before. Of course, if the judges remember your performance then you will have the extra pressure of topping your own performance as well as competing with the other contestants. Just a thought.

Quote from: jedisurvivor on April 30, 2015, 05:11:25 PM
Pardon me if this question was already asked, but would I be allowed to sing the same song for both the prelim and final rounds?
No, they must be two different songs.

Nina Star 9

Thanks for the reply, Ska! :] I'll either change my prelims song or do a different part (both the second verse + chorus and the bridge + final chorus fit the time limits pretty well, so I could just do that).

Glad to know the version of Adieu is the shorter one, and that it would be acceptable to sing to the end. not that I see myself making it far enough lol

coriechan

Last quick question!

If I have a backing/karaoke track of my own that is different from the original (like an acoustic version or a dubstep version etc) is that allowed or do we have to have the original track?

Thank you~!
Cosplay List 2015:
- Jasper [Steven Universe]
-Cosmo [Fairly Odd Parents]

Ska

Quote from: coriechan on May 01, 2015, 01:59:20 PM
If I have a backing/karaoke track of my own that is different from the original (like an acoustic version or a dubstep version etc) is that allowed or do we have to have the original track?

This is a difficult question to answer without knowing more about the source material. At first glance it falls under an unacceptable fan-made work (Especially if you were the one who created it.) To check if your song choice is actually valid, you would have to contact me or another senior karaoke staff member about the specific song in question, the source material, who created it, and your reasons for using it. We would review the info, determine if the song adapts the source material adequately, see if the creator falls within our 'well-established' criteria, and ultimately say if it's a legitimate reason to use it over other sources.

This is the proper way to include a doujin song in the contest. If you fail to notify us about its inclusion you may be asked to change your song before performing, or possibly disqualified, so take a minute or two and pm me if you insist on going this route!

[Edit]: Contest Forms are now live! Check the original post for links!

Jupeboxgal

Yay! Sent in my group submission. Hopefully I didn't get any information wrong :3 Looking forward to another great karaoke contest with lots of talented performers!

Moogleborg

Just sent in my entry! :D I will be ready! :D
Running on moé, 24/7/365.