Fairmont Hotel security deposit?

Started by snowbunnie, May 01, 2015, 06:16:39 PM

snowbunnie

This is my first year staying at the Fairmont and I was wondering how much the security deposit was for those that have stayed there before.
I emailed Fanime housing and they said it's "$100 per night on a card or $300 per night with cash." Is this true? So I'm paying either $400 or $1200 JUST for deposit?! I only paid $100 at the Ramada for my entire stay last year so I am kinda worried...

mariotheotaku

Not sure about cash but I do believe it's $100 per day with a card. I usually leave my credit card instead of my debit card for the deposit fee, money won't be taken out but it will be just on hold and when I check out I pay with my debit card.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: snowbunnie on May 01, 2015, 06:16:39 PM
This is my first year staying at the Fairmont and I was wondering how much the security deposit was for those that have stayed there before.
I emailed Fanime housing and they said it's "$100 per night on a card or $300 per night with cash." Is this true? So I'm paying either $400 or $1200 JUST for deposit?! I only paid $100 at the Ramada for my entire stay last year so I am kinda worried...

Yes, this is accurate. Thus the PSA I posted a few days ago.

Be prepared for a total charge of (Your room cost)+(100x nights you are staying) on whichever card you're planning on using. As Mariotheotaku mentioned, credit cards are usually best.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: FanFicGuru on May 02, 2015, 07:22:45 AM
Quote from: snowbunnie on May 01, 2015, 06:16:39 PM

Yes, this is accurate. Thus the PSA I posted a few days ago.

Be prepared for a total charge of (Your room cost)+(100x nights you are staying) on whichever card you're planning on using. As Mariotheotaku mentioned, credit cards are usually best.

Yeah sadly that information is accurate.  But now, in case you're wondering why the Fairmont is so much pricier, while I don't know all the reasons I can point to a big one.  Fact is the Ramada is known as more of a mid-grade hotel, and the one by the CC (while fairly priced and close by) could use an upgrade from what I've heard.  The Fairmont on the other hand is much fancier, and marketed as a top-tier business-class hotel.  So obviously the fancier, more luxurious hotel is going to charge a lot more.

But I agree with FanFicGuru that credit cards are best just so your checking account money isn't put on hold for the weekend.  With the credit card, as long as you have a somewhat decent limit, the stay and deposit won't eat up your line before you start buying food, art, and merchandise.

jm1991

larger hotels place larger holds per night to cover minibar charges, room service, pay per view movies, phone calls ect. The cash deposit is higher just because it needs to cover enough in case of smoking or trashing the room.

snowbunnie

thanks everybody!

and if the charge does cover the minibar, i WILL take advantage of it hahaha

jm1991

Quote from: snowbunnie on May 03, 2015, 08:27:39 PM
thanks everybody!

and if the charge does cover the minibar, i WILL take advantage of it hahaha
let me rephrase what i said. The money is on "hold" to cover the "possible" charges one might accrue during the stay. If you dont take anything out of the mini bar, make long distance phone calls or get room service all the deposit money will be returned to you. I dont think its a very good idea taking anything out of the mini bar as some of the stuff is very overpriced. Oh and if you do decide to take advantage of all these things and go over the deposit, the Hotel will waste no time in increasing the amount held.   

Smaller hotels that dont offer mini bars or room service usually take less just enough to cover phone calls or miscellaneous charges 

snowbunnie

Yeah I figured that would be the case. All I need to use pretty much is the fridge and maybe a microwave but I'm sure that's already included in actual room charges. I never use us the tea or coffee provided anyway. I most likely will not stay at fairmont next year just because of so many charges but then again let's see how this experience goes since it seems like it's the HQ hotel

I didn't mind staying at ramada though. It was quiet for the most part and the free breakfast were pluses. The walk wasn't too bad either, at least not in the daytime. It was just a little bit sketchy at night after partying

SpiritOfKairi

I stayed at the Fairmont a few years ago (like, around 2010).  It's a fairly nice place.  The lobby is huge with big comfy chairs and the rooms are fairly spacious too.  One kind of awkward thing though, is the shower.  It's this kind of clear glass booth-stall in the corner (think in the same vein as a phone booth), and it's all tile on the bottom so you have to be careful about watching your step.  But IIRC the toilet has a rolling door that blocks it off from the rest of the bathroom, which is nice.

The only other awkward thing I can think of is getting in the building an operating the elevator late at night.  If someone wants to confirm this then go for it, but IIRC at about 9-10 pm they lock the south tower.  This makes it so, in order to get in, you have to insert your room key into a pillar located by the entrance doors.  (You have to be kind of fast catching the door as well.)  Then when you get in the elvator, you have to insert the room key AGAIN before it'll let you choose which floor.  I'm not sure why they do this, but it's a thing, and a good reason to keep track of your room key at all times (besides the obvious ones).

Aside from the little annoying things, it's a nice place to stay.  It's quiet, a short distance from the CC, there are a bunch of restaurants nearby, the rooms are always spotless, the beds are comfy, and just overall it's a good hotel.  Lol only reason I don't stay there anymore is because I like the convenience of the Hilton better.

snowbunnie

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on May 04, 2015, 01:39:39 PM
I stayed at the Fairmont a few years ago (like, around 2010).  It's a fairly nice place.  The lobby is huge with big comfy chairs and the rooms are fairly spacious too.  One kind of awkward thing though, is the shower.  It's this kind of clear glass booth-stall in the corner (think in the same vein as a phone booth), and it's all tile on the bottom so you have to be careful about watching your step.  But IIRC the toilet has a rolling door that blocks it off from the rest of the bathroom, which is nice.

The only other awkward thing I can think of is getting in the building an operating the elevator late at night.  If someone wants to confirm this then go for it, but IIRC at about 9-10 pm they lock the south tower.  This makes it so, in order to get in, you have to insert your room key into a pillar located by the entrance doors.  (You have to be kind of fast catching the door as well.)  Then when you get in the elvator, you have to insert the room key AGAIN before it'll let you choose which floor.  I'm not sure why they do this, but it's a thing, and a good reason to keep track of your room key at all times (besides the obvious ones).

Aside from the little annoying things, it's a nice place to stay.  It's quiet, a short distance from the CC, there are a bunch of restaurants nearby, the rooms are always spotless, the beds are comfy, and just overall it's a good hotel.  Lol only reason I don't stay there anymore is because I like the convenience of the Hilton better.

Good to know! I've only attended Fanime a couple of times, my first year we drove back and forth from home & last year I stayed at Ramada. I'll try Hilton or Marriott next year just because they're adjacent to the CC

FanFicGuru

For me the overall winning factor for the Fairmont is the lack of "elevator frenzy". If you're not on the lower floors getting to and from your room at certain times is very hectic. Fairmont overall has a slower pace. But, the hilton and the marriott definitely win the convenience award! :D
Swap meet staff - 2014

KyraEnsui

Quote from: snowbunnie on May 04, 2015, 10:14:17 PM

Good to know! I've only attended Fanime a couple of times, my first year we drove back and forth from home & last year I stayed at Ramada. I'll try Hilton or Marriott next year just because they're adjacent to the CC

The Hyatt is a great hotel to stay in since it is just across the street of the convention center and next the civic. They have mini-fridge and a very comfy sofa in the King room.

snowbunnie

last question..how much is parking for fairmont guests?

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: snowbunnie on May 14, 2015, 09:14:06 PM
last question..how much is parking for fairmont guests?
Normally parking is $26, but I believe Fanime guests get a slight discount down to $22. Maybe a little less. Expensive either way and valet only.

Konekogami

o3o I know this is quite late but I'm staying at the Fairmont and I only got charge $50 a night for the deposit.  Before I came out here I called the hotel to make sure what the incidental charges were and they told me $50 per night.  We were clear on me being with Fanime too.

Hopefully the lower price was a nice suprise for people

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Konekogami on May 24, 2015, 08:27:08 PM
o3o I know this is quite late but I'm staying at the Fairmont and I only got charge $50 a night for the deposit.  Before I came out here I called the hotel to make sure what the incidental charges were and they told me $50 per night.  We were clear on me being with Fanime too.

Hopefully the lower price was a nice suprise for people

I got charged $100/night. My room was 430 but they held 832. Did you use a debit or credit card?
Swap meet staff - 2014

Konekogami

I used a debit card.

I called in a couple days before flying out and the basic conversation went like this

Me: Hi, I'm going to be staying at your hotel for an event called Fanime, and I was wondering if you could clarify the price of the incidental charges per night?  My reservation is under (name)

Hotel: Of course let me pull up your reservation, okay your staying four nights, and your with Fanime? The incidental is $50 per night.

I even double checked my first night here to make sure I didn't go over budget during the weekend, my room was 568 and I got 377 from my room mates, and they told me with the incidental fees there was $391 being held on my card.  ( 568-377= 191 and $50 x 4 = 200  soo $391)

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Konekogami on May 24, 2015, 11:39:56 PM
I used a debit card.

I called in a couple days before flying out and the basic conversation went like this

Me: Hi, I'm going to be staying at your hotel for an event called Fanime, and I was wondering if you could clarify the price of the incidental charges per night?  My reservation is under (name)

Hotel: Of course let me pull up your reservation, okay your staying four nights, and your with Fanime? The incidental is $50 per night.

I even double checked my first night here to make sure I didn't go over budget during the weekend, my room was 568 and I got 377 from my room mates, and they told me with the incidental fees there was $391 being held on my card.  ( 568-377= 191 and $50 x 4 = 200  soo $391)

I used credit. That might be why. Good to know.
Swap meet staff - 2014