Food Court 2015?

Started by thepharaohinleather, May 18, 2015, 10:35:08 AM

thepharaohinleather

I saw on the map of the main convention building that there is going to be a food court again, however last year the "food court" left something to be desired. There were only 4 or 5 booths and maybe 2 of them had actual food, not beverages. I was just wondering if anyone knows what kinds of things will be in the food court this year? Can we count on it to be a place to get an actual meal (as far as food court meals go I mean) or will it just be a place to get little snacks? I think one of the actual kitchens in the back of the exhibition room was in use last year too, serving BBQ (a rumor I heard, I never saw it for myself). Does anyone know if that will be open this year? Just trying to see what food options there are within the convention center building this year~
Attendee since 2009

One day I'll cosplay again

HunterZero

A big blocking point for outside food are the unions that work at the convention. They almost certainly won't allow non-union food service in the convention center.

I used to hope that maybe FanimeCon could arrange for a bunch of food trucks in a central location, but then I realized that would likely cause issues with the unions as well since it would likely be seen as making a run-around their workers.

I recommend looking outside of the convention center for food. You can get food from a variety of places in all price ranges, and there is a Safeway in walking distance to get items to make yourself.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

SpiritOfKairi

Honestly the food court the last couple years has left something to be decided.  Two years ago there was Psycho Donuts (who it seemed was always sold out of their very limited selection), milk tea, sushi (really expensive, even far as sushi is generally concerned), and Asian Food Grocer (whose selection was also very limited).  Then last year, I know there was another really expensive sushi vendor, but am I forgetting anyone else?  Because AFAIK that was the only option for 2014.

Personally I'm mixed on Fanime's food court.  It's a decent idea for a snack, but there's hardly any options far as vendors and their menus go, and it's hard to justify the price tag.  I would much rather walk down the street 3 blocks and get a full meal, unless I was absolutely starving and had to eat something right then.

thepharaohinleather

Ahhh, I forgot about the union issue! That explains a lot, and not much they can do about it, it seems. Still a bit disappointing to not have a good source of food within the convention center. My friends don't eat enough/get enough nutrition even when it's everywhere, let alone at a con. I just want to make sure they get their nutrition and dont pass out during con ffff. I'm bringing sandwich ingredients this year so that ought to even out some of it. Thank you for answering me, I appreciate it!
Attendee since 2009

One day I'll cosplay again