Pocket Guide in PDF form?

Started by Kuudere, May 18, 2015, 05:18:01 PM

Kuudere

First of all, thanks to staff for getting the program and pocket guide out early (link for those who haven't seen it yet). They're even on a flashy new website for easy viewing!

I was wondering if it were possible to get a PDF version of the pocket guide to print so I can highlight it and start planning my schedule. I think others would be grateful for one as well. As far as I can tell, there's no print option on the current website.

Thanks!

Edit: Looks like someone (Jerry Murry of the unofficial Fanime android app) managed to extract the guide and put it in PDF form. If anyone else needs it, it's currently here: PocketGuide.pdf

Edit 2: The official guide is now downloadable in pdf form! Thanks!

thepsynergist

I've never been one to care about flashy websites.  I just want a way to download it.

echoshadow

Nice.... 3 1/2 days before show time. Better late than never.

(*insert long ramblings/complaints here*)

Can we try out Guidebook app next year? Seems like that could help out with getting the schedule out faster.

(*insert long ramblings/complaints why people incharge can't get it relase a week before*)

Thanks Fanime I have a bit of pocket change to spend around. I had money on it coming out Monday.

Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

citrus

Quote from: echoshadow on May 19, 2015, 02:36:30 AM

(*insert long ramblings/complaints here*)

Can we try out Guidebook app next year? Seems like that could help out with getting the schedule out faster.

(*insert long ramblings/complaints why people incharge can't get it relase a week before*)

Thanks Fanime I have a bit of pocket change to spend around. I had money on it coming out Monday.
Couldn't agree with you more. It was better then what happened at 2012 but this is still HORRIBLE. Also this according to the fanime staff at facebook                                                 
"We are not planning on using Guidebook this year, but it's something that we continue to look at for future years." Oh? Meaning as in NEVER? Better idea Fanime. How about you stop being late with everything and also GET WITH THE PROGRAM AND BE UP TO DATE!?

I also want to comment. Another BORING Friday like it's been in the past 3-4 years. Thanks For wasting my precious time and money on trying to get a hotel when other cons can actually offer good programs for ALL days!

Saturday and Sunday Better make up for it...

echoshadow

I know, I know.....

What I like about Guidebook app is you can make your own personal schedule with in the app, and has times alarms, just incase you forgot or what not. Also you get instant updates if a panel is canceled, moved or time change.

I did not know about that comment on guidebook. But like nice things, I'm sure we can't have it. (Fanime's budget it seems.)

But not to derail the topic......
Why not a cheap-o PDF spread sheet schedule? That can be updated on the fly then posted on twitter as a link or something.

Lol critus... You can join me for drinks on Friday night. I'm thinking margaritas. At lest that's something to do on Friday. LOL

TC X0 Lt 0X

hmmm, more pointless complaints bleeding all over again...

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

YaoiCat

I second Guidebook app, I loooove it.  A couple other cons that I go to use it and it makes my whole con experience better!  Just as Echo mentioned, you can add events to your own personal schedule and set up notifications so you never miss the events you want to attend.  LOVE IT <3

Kuudere

I remembered that there was a fan-made android app in the works and downloaded it just now to test it out. It doesn't have all the features that Guidebook has (mostly just condenses the website for easier viewing, but it has a nice list of nearby restaurants and their locations, so that's cool).

However, while checking out that app, I discovered that the developer managed to extract the guide into PDF form! Turns out, he's storing it on Google Drive, so anyone with a link to it can download and print it. So if anyone else wants it, it's currently located here: PocketGuide.pdf.

As for the release being done 3/4 days before the convention, I'm of the mind that I'd rather have it be late and accurate than early and inaccurate. There are always last-minute changes that can render the guide useless, and the longer they wait to release, the less these changes will occur as everything gets finalized. Even releasing it 3/4 days early, there were some mistakes in it (thought not as many as would have been if it were, say, 2 weeks early). 3 days is an acceptable timeframe for us to plan with, so I don't understand the complaint there.

echoshadow

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on May 19, 2015, 04:45:59 AM
hmmm, more pointless complaints bleeding all over again...
Awwww, need a hug? You sad bro?

I would also want to add on the Guidebook app, cosplay gatherings can be added too. It's perfect for keep track which gatherings you want to be in. It's perfect when gathering get moved to another spot.
It's not just for panels.

+1 for PDF option (as to not derail the thread. )

Did they actuall scan that upside down??

Mythal

Quote from: echoshadow on May 19, 2015, 08:51:07 AM

If you look at the map it's actually the DoubleTree. They likely did what they did last year where one side was Fanime and you'd have to flip the program upside-down to get the program for Clockwork Alchemy.

What is the name of the Android app called?

ewu

Quote from: echoshadow on May 19, 2015, 08:51:07 AM

That is how it is in the pocket guide. One half Clockwork Alchemy, the other half Fanime. The Fanime programming pages are upside down in relation to the Clockwork Alchemy pages. This is so that reading from either the "front" or the "back" it is a normal book.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

ewu

PDF download instructions/janky picture re downloading pdfs added
http://www.fanime.com/essentials/convention-guides/
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

svatoid

Thanks, Eric, for enabling downloads of the pocket guide.

Gwydion

Quote from: echoshadow on May 19, 2015, 02:36:30 AM

Dude, Monday is practically early for Fanime's schedule. ^^ I swear it's a tradition now...

Kuudere

Quote from: ewu on May 19, 2015, 12:06:17 PM
PDF download instructions/janky picture re downloading pdfs added
http://www.fanime.com/essentials/convention-guides/

Weird, I don't see any download instructions (Had to refresh my browser). Downloading IS enabled now, which is great, but you have to create an account to do it, which kinda sucks. I hate giving my email out to random sites :(

Do they have publishing rights that restrict you from hosting pdfs on the regular website? Just a curiosity, not a criticism.

ewu

Quote from: svatoid on May 19, 2015, 12:33:23 PM
Thanks, Eric, for enabling downloads of the pocket guide.

I didn't do anything. I'm just a messenger:)

Quote from: Kuudere on May 19, 2015, 12:49:58 PM
Weird, I don't see any download instructions (Had to refresh my browser). Downloading IS enabled now, which is great, but you have to create an account to do it, which kinda sucks. I hate giving my email out to random sites :(

Do they have publishing rights that restrict you from hosting pdfs on the regular website? Just a curiosity, not a criticism.

Sorry, it was something about consistency and a single platform. It makes sense if updates need to be pushed out during con.....it would suck to update the pdf each time.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Kuudere

Quote from: ewu on May 19, 2015, 01:19:28 PM
Sorry, it was something about consistency and a single platform. It makes sense if updates need to be pushed out during con.....it would suck to update the pdf each time.

Ah, that's understandable. I didn't think of the possibility that it'd need to be changed easily. Thanks for answering my question.

ewu

Quote from: Kuudere on May 19, 2015, 01:54:10 PM
I didn't think of the possibility that it'd need to be changed easily.

I never understood people to want the information provided to them to be correct....go figure... =D
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

YaoiCat

I made an account but still don't see a way to download the pdf :(