Your plans for FanimeCon 2016

Started by Admiral Donuts, May 26, 2015, 12:17:38 PM

Admiral Donuts

Let the FanimeCon 2016 countdown begin!

Only 366 days until Day 0 on the 26th of May, 2016.

Best thing I did last year after Fanime '14 was make notes on what to do different and it worked out well. I left behind stuff I didn't need and ate better because of it.

Anybody thinking in advance for next year?

hikanteki

I know Fanime is always on Memorial Day Weekend, but have the dates for 2016 officially been confirmed?

Admiral Donuts

I don't think so.

Did anyone catch the theme for next year?

abcbadcat

Next years theme is martial arts :D

SquishyK

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on May 26, 2015, 01:14:29 PM
I don't think so.

I think they usually don't confirm the theme for next year until much closer to the con date.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: pitin on May 26, 2015, 01:19:31 PM
Quote from: Admiral Donuts on May 26, 2015, 01:14:29 PM
I don't think so.

I think they usually don't confirm the theme for next year until much closer to the con date.

They usually announce it at the closing ceremonies.

Quote from: abcbadcat on May 26, 2015, 01:17:30 PM
Next years theme is martial arts :D

Thats cool, I was thing of doing a moi brawler from Smash Bros. So it d be cool to match the theme.

The_Only_BlackGuyin_Anime

2015 is hands down the best year that I have ever been to Fanime Con. (Been going since 2010)

Every year I try to do things differently before going to the con and this year has taught me that I need to do a few more things to get ready for 2016's Fanime Con...

1. Bring some sort of air freshener. I know it gets sweaty and some people can not help but smell, but...it's not that hard to go into the bathroom and put on some deodorant or something. So I think I'll bring a fresh smelling something or other to the con so my nose wont burn from the nerd sweat.

2. Go to restaurants instead of fast food. No more fast food at the cons for me. they are to packed and I found out that most of the restaurants are pretty empty a few blocks away from the con. They are not expensive either :] (Around $20-25 a meal with three of my friends)

3. Try and get Fairmont housing again. I have to say that this was they best hotel experience that I have ever had during the con. The staff was awesome and polite. didn't have to worry about parking the whole con because my girlfriend just kept her car in their valet parking the whole con. Came out to $60 the whole weekended which is worth it to me not having to worrying if anyone is going to break into the car.

Can't wait till next year!!!!!!
*Link Removed*

FanFicGuru

Quote from: The_Only_BlackGuyin_Anime on May 26, 2015, 03:17:28 PM
2015 is hands down the best year that I have ever been to Fanime Con. (Been going since 2010)

Every year I try to do things differently before going to the con and this year has taught me that I need to do a few more things to get ready for 2016's Fanime Con...

1. Bring some sort of air freshener. I know it gets sweaty and some people can not help but smell, but...it's not that hard to go into the bathroom and put on some deodorant or something. So I think I'll bring a fresh smelling something or other to the con so my nose wont burn from the nerd sweat.

2. Go to restaurants instead of fast food. No more fast food at the cons for me. they are to packed and I found out that most of the restaurants are pretty empty a few blocks away from the con. They are not expensive either :] (Around $20-25 a meal with three of my friends)

3. Try and get Fairmont housing again. I have to say that this was they best hotel experience that I have ever had during the con. The staff was awesome and polite. didn't have to worry about parking the whole con because my girlfriend just kept her car in their valet parking the whole con. Came out to $60 the whole weekended which is worth it to me not having to worrying if anyone is going to break into the car.

Can't wait till next year!!!!!!

Fairmont all the way!
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

beastboytitans

im going to try to get a closer hotel!
wearing face paint plus aa/vender loot to lug around wasnt fun lol

im thinking of doing a rikka takanashi cosplay if i can get a yuta
and probably shanks from one piece since there was a bagillion straw hats lol

i noticed i didnt really eat alot of the packaged food i brought
cause everyone wanted to get in a group and get lunch/dinner.

otakuya

I'd say that this year was so fun and well-run, that I'd do everything this year next year.
Fairmont, restaurants/food, luggage and cosplays, panels and gatherings, etc.

bahamutknightzero

Quote from: hikanteki on May 26, 2015, 12:22:10 PM
I know Fanime is always on Memorial Day Weekend, but have the dates for 2016 officially been confirmed?

Pretty sure it will fall on Memorial Day weekend, which for 2016 is:

May 27th - May 30th

used mattress

Got several plans on my list!

+ Actually make my cosplays! I've been buying mine but I really want to change that.
+ Find a hotel that's even closer than the Doubletree. I don't mind the shuttle, but I prefer to be within walking distance. It's much easier. Then again, I go in a group so this is out of my control.
+ Bring some kind of air fresher or something, gosh. There was some funky O.B. going around, especially on Saturday.
+ Bring a better bag! Mine was too difficult to open at times.
+ Probably get some contacts, too. I actually lost my glasses on Friday morning but they were found on Sunday night. C:
+ And, finally. Be more sociable! I often find myself talking to other cosplays that are dressed in the same series so it'd be great to go beyond that horizon.

Oh, oh oh oh. And arrive to restaurants earlier rather than later! In five minutes, it can go from completely empty to utter chaos.
Fanime 2016 line up
Yang Xiao Long - RWBY [? days undecided]
SirLarr's GTA V online character w/giant flag prop - FunHaus [? days undecided]
Ashe or Twisted Fate - League of Legends [? days undecided]

ghoulpixel

I've got a couple plans!

-Host my DanganRonpa Panel
-Possibly host a DramaticalMurder / DMMD panel
-Finish Cronus & Erisol sprite cosplays
-Get my Io Naruko cosplay from DefenseClubLove.
-Get a hotel for the night of the Black&White ball.
-Get contacts.
-Finally , continue being social.
kal | they/them | cosplayer ♥ | (´・ω・`)
--
Fanime 2024 Lineup:
Friday - Priestess (IDV)
Saturday - Astarion (BG3)
Sunday - Gravekeeper (IDV) | Astarion (BG3) for B&W Ball
Monday - TBD

Steve.Young

My plan is to have more sleep for FanimeCon 2016!

And work more than I have ever before :)
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

keitoghostie

My friends and I were talking about an Animal Crossing group for next year so that may be a thing!

I definitely hope to do swap meet, host the snk gathering (and possibly other gatherings!), and host my panel again (2016 would be the 5th year I host it, wow!!)

Lessons learned from 2015:
- I need to make sure I'm getting adequate sleep during the con
- Carb-heavy foods will not sustain me, I need to make sure I'm eating enough protein as well
- Don't bring unfinished cosplays/other projects - just use the con time to enjoy the con!

Alyxiane

Guess there's some things I have on my list too!
  • Get a room at the Sainte Claire/Westin San Jose. My sister works under Westin and it was only the past weekend that I found out Sainte Claire is now part of the hotel chain. If I can use the magic of family discounts and I can get a nice room for half the price next year~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
  • Not be so anxious about my cosplays. This year was the very first time I've cosplayed in such a large extent for me with wigs and all. So I was self-conscious most of the day with my fem!Lie Ren wig since I knew next to nothing about wig styling but I still had a great time at the RWBY gathering. The next day was very smooth sailing (mostly because I just used the wig for Annie as is lol) and I've gotten wonderful compliments and pictures taken which really brightened my day. In the end, we're just geeks in costumes having fun.
    (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
  • Speaking of cosplays... I want to actually get Ren's Stormflower since I didn't have the time/money to make/commission it for this year. Some contacts would be nice too so long as I check with my eye doctor for the exact prescription. For Annie I could FINALLY drag my boyfriend to be my Tibbers because height difference reasons and he's due for a Fanime experience and I totally regret not bringing him this year. (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ (<-- I love this emote ok huehue)
  • Get a job? BUDGET ALL THE THINGS. Only reason why I was able to spend a good chunk for this year's Fanime was because of the money from my old job. My parents were fine helping me out with food and gas costs but everything else has been through my pocket. Not sure if I want to do another food service kind of job or even flat out retail (especially since the reasons for my dismissal was because I'm a bit too slow for their liking welp).  Either way, it's a small income that can help.

EDIT:
    • Also pack some Vitamin C supplements. Totally something I overlooked the past weekend and look who's now down with the cold~~~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

spycker

I parked my car in the KQED building the whole weekend and came out to be only $30 in total for all days...I stayed at the FAIRMONT

djmonolith

I live 4 minutes away but I want to stay in the hotel... it sucks having to drive and park.  Plus I miss out on all the all-night crazy.
This is my signature.

Admiral Donuts

My friends live not too far and I used to crash with them but now I get us a hotel room for the con. It's really worth it because you don't have to have a DD and you can keep all your costumes close by instead of driving back home to change.

citrus

I have plans on returning back to the con. But I'm NOT paying 450$ For just one night of a hotel. I've made some back up plans by booking a hotel room at the Fairmount and The Saint Claire (soon be known as the Westin hotel)  for the next memorial day weekend because I do want to return and I DON'T want a hotel that's so far away from the convention center. Seriously who would pay that much for 1 night!? I don't know about you but even booking a hotel at Anime Expo is CHEAPER then what you get at Fanime! While I couldn't book the hotel I want at AX through their website. I was easily able to book a hotel room from the hotel's official site. And each night is around 350$ While it's expensive as heck and I REALLY wish I could have gotten a discount this year. It's still worth it because that's much I think AX is worth going too. Booking the Fairmount for Fanime without booking it through Fanime's website costs as much as a night's stay at The Ritz Carlton's in L.A. and quite frankly I admit enjoyed this year's fanime and the convention is going to the right direction that it's winning me over to not switch to a different convention. But really? 450$ A night for a convention like Fanimecon? I don't think so.

And while I booked a hotel at the Westin as well for 260$ a night without fanime discount that's still pushing it. That's the maximum I think anybody should pay really. Speaking of which... has anybody stayed at the Saint Claire before? If so have you experienced anything haunted at your stay there? While I know the Saint Claire is going to turn into a new hotel. I'm scared it might be still haunted even with renovation... it probably explains the price tag during the memorial day weekend...