More things to do on Thursday and Friday

Started by otakuya, May 27, 2015, 10:30:53 PM

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: ewu on May 28, 2015, 10:45:13 PM
Quote from: Sunara Ishi on May 28, 2015, 08:06:53 PM
Perhaps I'm weird but I actually miss LineCon on Day 0. All the random people you meet and hold conversations with... the crazy stunts staff did and the peeps that cosplayed on Day 0. And meeting up with people/seeing staff that you'll probably not see all of con. Though I'm glad its gone so I don't have to stress over whether I'm getting my badge that day or not.

We were thinking of just putting up stanchions and a sign that said LineCon....that led to nowhere...
You should have. Make it a circle or a spiral.... Or have fun and make it a maze or something silly like the face of one of the mascots. XD

Quote from: otakuya on May 28, 2015, 11:04:47 PM
You had me at Tea.
(I actually forgot about Clockwork)
Ditto. I remembered about it on the drive back... -.-; Didn't help that I was feeling under the weather during con (I think maybe temp. shock because I don't live in SJ anymore and where I live now was like 20 degrees hotter. ) or that I was trying to go to local stores like Kino & Mitsuwa as well as con.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Enkai

So this is not a Fanime thing, but I was disappointed this year.  Last year, Day 0 coincided with Sake San Jose in Japantown, but they decided to put the event off to October this year.  Until I found out about the date change, that was going to be my Day 0 plan.

However, that does bring up one idea.  This would likely require a new team, but maybe Fanime could create some sort of event with local businesses.  This would give convention goers something different to do that would also bring in some extra business to the local stores.  The San Jose downtown association would likely be all about that.

Alternatively, maybe there could be extra events at the Plaza de Cesar Chavez Park that would (hopefully?) not be governed as much by the union set-up rules.

It probably falls under the union set-up issues, but the one thing I'd love to see get going earlier though is if there could be a Day 0 Open Mic karaoke.  I'm usually busy enough during the convention that I rarely get a chance to sing outside of the contest (certainly was the case this year, but we had more non-official Fanime activities planned in the evenings than usual)

Firefury Amahira

Quote from: Enkai on May 29, 2015, 06:41:30 PM
So this is not a Fanime thing, but I was disappointed this year.  Last year, Day 0 coincided with Sake San Jose in Japantown, but they decided to put the event off to October this year.  Until I found out about the date change, that was going to be my Day 0 plan.

However, that does bring up one idea.  This would likely require a new team, but maybe Fanime could create some sort of event with local businesses.  This would give convention goers something different to do that would also bring in some extra business to the local stores.  The San Jose downtown association would likely be all about that.

Alternatively, maybe there could be extra events at the Plaza de Cesar Chavez Park that would (hopefully?) not be governed as much by the union set-up rules.

It probably falls under the union set-up issues, but the one thing I'd love to see get going earlier though is if there could be a Day 0 Open Mic karaoke.  I'm usually busy enough during the convention that I rarely get a chance to sing outside of the contest (certainly was the case this year, but we had more non-official Fanime activities planned in the evenings than usual)
There's also the Tech Museum right there. We did that on Day Zero one time when my group turned Fanime into a weeklong vacation and did a bunch of touristy stuff before the con. (And amused the guy manning the earthquake simulator, which that day was mimicking the Northridge earthquake; having been through the real one, our "Wow, this brings back memories!" nostalgia was apparently entertaining.) The Winchester Mystery House is also like, maybe 10 minutes away from the convention center and really nifty for folks who haven't seen it.

People can picnic at the plaza, right? Cosplay potluck, maybe?
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

Enkai

Quote from: Firefury Amahira on May 29, 2015, 10:58:40 PM

There's also the Tech Museum right there. We did that on Day Zero one time when my group turned Fanime into a weeklong vacation and did a bunch of touristy stuff before the con. (And amused the guy manning the earthquake simulator, which that day was mimicking the Northridge earthquake; having been through the real one, our "Wow, this brings back memories!" nostalgia was apparently entertaining.) The Winchester Mystery House is also like, maybe 10 minutes away from the convention center and really nifty for folks who haven't seen it.

People can picnic at the plaza, right? Cosplay potluck, maybe?

A Cosplay potluck would be pretty cool.

I suppose if Fanime was to put up some sort of guide on cool stuff to do close to the convention center on Day 0, that would be pretty cool and not require all the staff that is busy setting up other things.  The Tech Museum is pretty awesome, although if people only have Thursday afternoon, they may not think of it as an option.

I was also thinking it might be possible to get Tech Shop to agree to do some sort of Open House on Day 0 and publicize it through Fanime.  That would probably be more of interest to Bay Area locals like myself, but it's a thought.

Another thought would be to see if there is a group at SJSU a few blocks away that was willing to get involved with planning something.

...I will keep thinking of things. All my other ideas at the moment involve alcohol.

echoshadow

My thoughts for day zero is fine the way it is. I'm glad there's swap meet and a dance later on in the evening but dealing with hotel checking / badge pick up that's could take time and what nots.

Now as for Friday, yeah there needs to be a bit more stuff going on. For Non cosplay people it was utter boredom.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Dreamlord

How about on day 0 open a room for ironing out costume bugs. One of my costumes fell apart before anyone got to see it. I would of loved to have an opportunity to work with other cosplayers to prevent this :P