More things to do on Thursday and Friday

Started by otakuya, May 27, 2015, 10:30:53 PM

otakuya

I realize that it may be more money, but are there ways to have events, panels, Stage 0, etc. on Thursday morning/afternoon and Friday morning? After we got our badges, it felt like a long time before anything else opened, aside from the gaming room. I think Thursday and Friday mornings are perfect for industry panels, and every time after are fan panels.

Firefury Amahira

Thing about Thursday though is that it's Day Zero; the con has not actually started yet, they're still getting everything set up, the dealers are arriving and setting up their booths, attendees from out of town are most likely driving/flying in, and so on. Putting on any panels on Thursday would be effectively turning a four day con into a five day con, requiring the out of town folks to take an extra day off and arrive on Wednesday if they want to make sure that they won't miss something they want to attend that gets scheduled for Thursday.

Same sort of thing on Friday morning, too; things are still being set up, people are still arriving, and Friday is probably the day that registration is hit the hardest. On the assumption that people are arriving/waiting in reg line (even though Fanime has most thoroughly kicked Linecon's ass,) it makes sense to start the main events later Friday morning/afternoon so that as many attendees as possible will be able to participate.

Plus, and I'm sure any of the Fanime staff can correct me on this, I doubt they are allowed to start setting up everything until Thursday morning most years, and maaaybe Wednesday afternoon if there isn't an event in the con center or the hotels right before them. (That was an issue I believe two years ago? An event right before Fanime was slow in packing up and clearing out, delaying Fanime staff from even starting setup.) For a con this size, they are going to have an enormous amount of equipment to assemble, get into place, wired, tested and debugged. Setup for something on that scale almost never goes completely without a hitch, meaning there's any number of Things That Can (and Will) Go Wrong. Opening any actual convention activities Thursday erases that time cushion they have to iron out the inevitable bugs.
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

Sunara Ishi

Saying it wouldn't be fair for out of town folks is just an excuse. Many out of town folks came in earlier than Thursday, myself included (I arrived Wed. and attended Day 0), or were checking in on Thurs. Please don't use us as an excuse to deny more services being offered.

Also... don't use the work/school conflict excuse as many people have conflicts during the main days (Sat/Sun) that keep them from attending. And there were a lot of people at con on Fri for a day where people had "school"... I think Fri. should have some other evening events besides Swap Meet.

Also, Day 0 events have traditionally been an exclusive to those that pre-regged/early-regged. So, it would be perfectly fair to offer Day 0 exclusive events to those that attend that day. After all... if you pre-regged/early-regged and didn't attend that day, it is your choice. But nothing too huge.... just low key stuff that doesn't need OMG!! staff. And, I think that some years had Stage 0 events/mini-concerts.

And don't be silly; it has been a five day con for several years now. Just because Day 0 doesn't have a lot or is called "Day 1", doesn't mean that it isn't counted.

That said, there were a ton of people on Day 0. I saw a lot of people just wandering around and some of us just lined up for Swap Meet early just because we had nothing better to do. (You can only eat lunch/dinner so many times... ) It would have been nice just to have one more event in-between during that 4 hour gap.

I understand some of the set up issues; I know that there are things that need tweaking at the last minute but I am aware that many facets of the con are already set up sometimes a week before. I think the con center is actually booked for like a week or so?
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Firefury Amahira

Quote from: Sunara Ishi on May 28, 2015, 12:03:15 PM
Saying it wouldn't be fair for out of town folks is just an excuse. Many out of town folks came in earlier than Thursday, myself included (I arrived Wed. and attended Day 0), or were checking in on Thurs. Please don't use us as an excuse to deny more services being offered.
I'm glad you were able to go up earlier. Not everybody can; my group was driving in from Los Angeles on Thursday, arrived at our hotel by 4pm, and badge pickup and swap meet was plenty after the 7 hour drive. I'm sure many others can't afford to go up the extra night. Sadly, short of actual stats on how much of the attendance is the locals vs out-of-towners, we're both talking only in anecdotes.

Regardless of the travel argument, having panels running Thursday would be too much, IMO. I could see opening the video rooms early, provided staff were able to get them set up for it, and certainly something at Stage Zero though. Certainly nothing's stopping unofficial events from organizing and doing stuff on Day Zero. It would really depend on what staff could conceivably do while finishing up the setup; and short of staffers chiming it, that's all pure speculation.
--

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: Firefury Amahira on May 28, 2015, 03:43:26 PM
Quote from: Sunara Ishi on May 28, 2015, 12:03:15 PM
I'm glad you were able to go up earlier. Not everybody can; my group was driving in from Los Angeles on Thursday, arrived at our hotel by 4pm, and badge pickup and swap meet was plenty after the 7 hour drive. I'm sure many others can't afford to go up the extra night. Sadly, short of actual stats on how much of the attendance is the locals vs out-of-towners, we're both talking only in anecdotes.

Regardless of the travel argument, having panels running Thursday would be too much, IMO. I could see opening the video rooms early, provided staff were able to get them set up for it, and certainly something at Stage Zero though. Certainly nothing's stopping unofficial events from organizing and doing stuff on Day Zero. It would really depend on what staff could conceivably do while finishing up the setup; and short of staffers chiming it, that's all pure speculation.
It is more that I'm tired of hearing of certain things always being tossed around as an excuse for why Thurs. can't have more events. Nothing personal was meant; I'm sorry to hear that your group couldn't make it out earlier. But choosing to come down on Thurs. rather than Wed. is your choice; I drove just as long but decided to come down a day earlier so I wouldn't be tired on Thurs. Many of my friends (who live in different towns than me & the San Jose area) also came down early. But enough of that... like you said, there are no numbers on who attends what day from where. Nor will Fanime probably ever track that.

I'm not even talking panels.... that was someone else. I was referring to activities that people wouldn't cry over if they happened to miss it... aka things they can see elsewhere. Past years had Stage 0 and anime rooms running on Day 0. I thought there might've been a mini-concert but I think I was thinking of a Fri. mini-concert that happened one year.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Kuudere

I think another hold-up to having more things on Thursday is that it'd probably cost more money just to rent the space to have them take place. The return on investment is not great for Fanime as a whole. They'll have to pull that money from somewhere, and it'll have to come from the official days' (Fri-Mon) budgets. That means they're working with less money for the official convention, to please a minority. Even if the argument is that Fanime has already bought the space to set up during Thursday, that means they're pushing set-up back to possibly Wednesday, and having to pay for that day instead.

I don't have access to the budget, so I don't know the true reasons, but I'd assume money plays a part in it somewhere.

Steve.Young

We'll take your feedback into consideration!

*Takes staff hat off* - One of the side effects of having kicked linecon's ass for two years straight now is that attendees have more free time to do other things. It's a blessing and a curse ;).
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Kuudere

Quote from: Steve.Young on May 28, 2015, 05:44:10 PM
*Takes staff hat off* - One of the side effects of having kicked linecon's ass for two years straight now is that attendees have more free time to do other things. It's a blessing and a curse ;).

Heh, no kidding. Thursday's perk used to be waiting in line for your badge when nothing was going on, so you didn't have to wait in line when things were actually happening. It had a real advantage. Now that linecon's gone, that whole thing is out the window. It'll just be some fond memory we can tell the next generation: "Back in our day, Thursday was for lines and we liked it that way! We called it Line Convention, and it was an event all its own. We traveled 5 feet per hour for 6 hours, barefoot, both ways, in the snow. With an onion tied to our belts, as that was the cosplay trend at the time..."

ewu

*like*

Quote from: Kuudere on May 28, 2015, 06:02:09 PM
We traveled 5 feet per hour for 6 hours, barefoot, both ways, in the snow. With an onion tied to our belts, as that was the cosplay trend at the time..."
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Admiral Donuts

Of course if you did go barefoot you got yelled at.

KyraEnsui

I enjoyed when there isn't much on Thursday. I drive a lot since I have to pick up my friends from different cities a day before and we all drive up together on Thursday so definitely, I don't mind if there is not much going on. Good time to explore around SJ and even stocking up at Mitsuwa and Clover Bakery.

Firefury Amahira

We'll take your feedback into consideration!

While we've gotcha here, any semi-official opinion on people organizing their own unofficial Day Zero events? :P
--

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: Kuudere on May 28, 2015, 06:02:09 PM

Heh, no kidding. Thursday's perk used to be waiting in line for your badge when nothing was going on, so you didn't have to wait in line when things were actually happening. It had a real advantage. Now that linecon's gone, that whole thing is out the window. It'll just be some fond memory we can tell the next generation: "Back in our day, Thursday was for lines and we liked it that way! We called it Line Convention, and it was an event all its own. We traveled 5 feet per hour for 6 hours, barefoot, both ways, in the snow. With an onion tied to our belts, as that was the cosplay trend at the time..."
Perhaps I'm weird but I actually miss LineCon on Day 0. All the random people you meet and hold conversations with... the crazy stunts staff did and the peeps that cosplayed on Day 0. And meeting up with people/seeing staff that you'll probably not see all of con. Though I'm glad its gone so I don't have to stress over whether I'm getting my badge that day or not.

@Steve Young & staff: I'll be glad to see what you guys come up with. >.< Thanks for taking your time.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O

otakuya

Suggestion would be a free open stage for Stage 0, where there are no official productions, but just everything as fan choice or audience created; like anyone can take the mic, play their own games, or just sing whatever, without formal Stage 0 production. That way, the real Stage 0 can do their preparations, while we entertain ourselves.

(I remember way back at Anime Overdose in early 2000's, instead of a long wait between cosplay skits and judges, they had their stage open to anyone that wants to go on stage and do whatever. Those acts were more entertaining and funny than the real skits)

ewu

Quote from: Sunara Ishi on May 28, 2015, 08:06:53 PM
Perhaps I'm weird but I actually miss LineCon on Day 0. All the random people you meet and hold conversations with... the crazy stunts staff did and the peeps that cosplayed on Day 0. And meeting up with people/seeing staff that you'll probably not see all of con. Though I'm glad its gone so I don't have to stress over whether I'm getting my badge that day or not.

We were thinking of just putting up stanchions and a sign that said LineCon....that led to nowhere...

Quote from: otakuya on May 28, 2015, 08:41:03 PM
Suggestion would be a free open stage for Stage 0, where there are no official productions, but just everything as fan choice or audience created; like anyone can take the mic, play their own games, or just sing whatever, without formal Stage 0 production. That way, the real Stage 0 can do their preparations, while we entertain ourselves.

The problem is that much of Thursday morning is setting up Stage 0. Doing such a thing also means that we may need to that cost much more moneiz.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

aetherltd

Over at Clockwork Alchemy, Thursday was devoted to setting up all the steampunk props. We have a tea room, a telegraph office, lamp posts, clocks, signs, even a fireplace. Load-in and setup is all volunteer, so we're busy moving heavy things, unpacking them, and making them work.

Friday, Clockwork Alchemy had a full day of programming, but too few attendees. If Fanime is slow on Friday, come on over to Clockwork Alchemy. We have lots of room, lots of activities, and tea.

otakuya

You had me at Tea.
(I actually forgot about Clockwork)

HunterZero

Day 0 is a weird thing because of the equipment rentals and setup. Many of the video rooms only start to have equipment setup in them starting Thursday evening. Getting things setup earlier anywhere costs FanimeCon a lot more money. Remember that the AV equipment belongs to the convention center and has to be setup by the Union workers.

That being said, I did bring my personal projector and setup for about an hour playing videos nearby the video room Thursday evening. Very few people knew about it and few people stopped by to watch.

It's day 0. Not a real day.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: aetherltd on May 28, 2015, 11:00:15 PM
Friday, Clockwork Alchemy had a full day of programming, but too few attendees. If Fanime is slow on Friday, come on over to Clockwork Alchemy. We have lots of room, lots of activities, and tea.

I really wanted to stop by clockwork on Friday, but by the time I was checked into the hotel, got settled, and played photographer for my friends I ended up letting it slip by. I really wanted to check out the Simple Effects Prosthetics and the Nemo's Realm panels!

Clockwork is growing on me, last year I didn't make it there until Sunday but this year I made it over on Saturday. I bounced some panel ideas off friends of mine and they thought they were interesting so maybe I'll be there next year as a panelist.

eHash

I am not responding as a staff member when I write this:

The dance on Day 0 started a little late at 8:20 but was open till 2AM.  This was not a badged event, but all other rules applied.

Day 0 Events are not guaranteed (except for Swap Meet).  If a department has chosen to hold a day 0 event they face the problem with it being non-badged.  Often times Day 0 events are used to stress test or do a dry run of the equipment/processes used for the rest of the weekend.  The tech is not necessarily owned by the convention center but it is correct that a union tech needs to put it up, meaning that there is a cost and a different timeline associated to it. Day 0 is exactly that, the day before the con officially starts.