Fanimecon morning/evening group run?

Started by Coolegg, May 31, 2015, 07:55:03 PM

Coolegg

This is kind of a weird idea because i know a lot of people who go to cons arent really fans of exercise but i think it might be fun to have some sort of casual group jog maybe in the early evening of friday or saturday. We could have some runners in cosplay that's easier to wear and also have a walking group. I'm wondering if anyone's interested in this and if it would be possible to put together as a fan event.  8)

Admiral Donuts

I'd be up for it. I think I'd rather do it in the morning, California heat and all that.

What distance were you thinking, like a 5K? I'm sure there's some really great places close to downtown.

Looking at the map, there's something called the Guadalupe river trail right next to the convention center, anyone know if it's a running trail?

otakuya

Clockwork Alchemy to FanimeCon Cosplay Run!

The Guadalupe trail runs from the convention center to the airport (Doubletree & Clockwork)....how convenient

Admiral Donuts

If we're doing that, I'm in favour of that route. I don't want to share a very sweaty shuttle bus back to Fanime...

Enkai

I bike the Guadalupe Trail regularly to get to/from work (I live a bit south of the convention center and work 8 miles away in Santa Clara), and yes, it is a running and biking trail.  It's fully paved, although there are a couple weird spots where you have to go to the normal sidewalk to cross the creek to continue.  And yes, it will take you from right by the convention center to up along the airport.  That run is definitely more than 5k though - 4 miles to get to the Doubletree maybe?

But it is a pretty nice trail, depending on how recently it has been cleaned up.  I think there is an annual creek cleanup day usually a couple weeks before Fanime,so it will probably be fine.  Ad a heads up, there are typically a number of homeless on the trail, especially sleeping underneath San Fernando (downtown, couple blocks north of the SJCC) in the morning, but neither I nor my husband, who also walks the trail regularly, have ever had any issue with them.

Once you get north of Coleman, it's really nice. There are a number of interwoven paths, it's more nature park like, and you don't have to deal with traffic at all.

Suffice to say, if folks are okay with the distance, I think it's a good idea. I may or may not join (prefer biking to running), but that is me.

Coolegg

I'm glad a few people are interested! Right now i'm not completely sure i can put this on but maybe it can happen with some community work but nothings official until later :>
Thanks everyone for the trail info too. I don't live directly in the san jose area so i was blanking on where we would even run  :P

Sen

Hey I kinda like this idea! A cosplay charity run?! San Jose did have a 5K color run the same weekend as us this year.

I think it is 4-6 miles from SJCC to the Doubletree? If it is about 6 miles that is closer to a 10k. I feel like a 5K would have wider appeal though.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

Coolegg

Yeah we should do some sorta charity thing and maybe charge a couple bucks for entry. We could also have some small prizes for the winners (figures or something?).
I also think the 5k would appeal to more people.

otakuya

You know, this is the perfect Day 0 event, as it frees up space during the day for campers and allows for set up. Imagine, the run, then badge, then swap meet.

Coolegg

That sounds pretty cool, considering i've heard there's nothing to do on day zero. If it was then,though, i wouldn't be able to attend/organize because i have school   :(

Admiral Donuts

I'd rather not do it on Day 0, if my vote counts for anything. I usually don't get a hotel room until Friday, so a Saturday or Sunday morning run. Do the shuttles run on day 0?

All comes down to who's willing to organize it and stuff, though.

Where's a good place to get the the trail if you're leaving from the Hilton?

Enkai

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on June 02, 2015, 09:17:22 PM
I'd rather not do it on Day 0, if my vote counts for anything. I usually don't get a hotel room until Friday, so a Saturday or Sunday morning run. Do the shuttles run on day 0?

All comes down to who's willing to organize it and stuff, though.

Where's a good place to get the the trail if you're leaving from the Hilton?

Hilton's the easy side, as it is on that side.  You know the parking lot across Almaden from the Hilton and the convention center? Go directly through that parking lot.  Near the north end of the lot, there is a pedestrian bridge across the creek.  Cross it, and you are on the trail.  Turn right to go toward the Airport/Doubletree.

Dreamlord

8)  I'm game. I'd prefer Day 0 or Monday after the Convention ends