FanimeCon: Participate, Join, Create > Ideas and Suggestions

Age Segragated Dance

(1/5) > >>

gorillazGd:
This is probably controversial to many, but to me the 2015 Fanime dance area to me was an absolutely scary place to be for anyone over the age of 18. As a 19yo college student I was thinking that the dance would be a fun thing to do at the end of the night, but the possibility of problems arising when you mix tweens with full grown adults sent me packing. I simply wanted to meet some people to dance with but I had no way of telling if I would be dancing with a 16 year old or a 20 year old behind the costumes. If it was simply split between one area being 18+ with checked ids (as is already done with the panels) and a under 18 area people could freely dance without the worry of being a creep. Sorry if this is unpopular, just making a observation from this last year.

Mod edit: its called a dance

eHash:
We will review the feasibility of an age separated dance.  Please realize with a nightly attendance of 2200 to 4700 it is not realistic to do that many id checks.  It is more realistic to do an Under 18 Only event.

echoshadow:
Not sure which point your coming from, from a young person surrounded by older adults or an older adults surrounded by younger people?

As for a scary place, nope no way not even miles close to what you find at any all ages shows at any night club.

Let's be real, are you worried about hooking up with an underage person? I and every adult over 18 has that in the back of their mind. One thing that always calms that is a simple question. "How old are you?"  Now depending on both people their answers will come down to their own morals or goals.

If all you want to is dance and have a good time, age is not a factor. And there is zero to worry about.

If you have some ulterior motive that includes dancing and hanging out at the dance then I hope both people have the common logic to make the right choices. Fanime can't tell us how or to whom we should have fun with. 

With that said it's up to everyone to look out for themselves. But I get it if your 18 or younger you don't want some 20 something hitting on you, or do, I'm not sure these days. This is a touchy subject after all.  Guess what I'm trying to say is don't be a creep, stop trying too hard to hook up with someone at the dance, or if you feel some person is being too creepy tell then to stop, if they don't get it ask staff or security. There will always be creeps regardless of age group. 

In all my years going to Fanime and going to the dance (I still find it silly people still call it that) I have yet to confuse the age of a girl for a minor. Then again I don't go looking to hook up at the dance. /humble brag.

Amanojaku:

--- Quote from: gorillazGd on September 08, 2015, 12:22:20 PM ---This is probably controversial to many, but to me the 2015 Fanime dance area to me was an absolutely scary place to be for anyone over the age of 18. As a 19yo college student I was thinking that the dance would be a fun thing to do at the end of the night, but the possibility of problems arising when you mix tweens with full grown adults sent me packing. I simply wanted to meet some people to dance with but I had no way of telling if I would be dancing with a 16 year old or a 20 year old behind the costumes. If it was simply split between one area being 18+ with checked ids (as is already done with the panels) and a under 18 area people could freely dance without the worry of being a creep. Sorry if this is unpopular, just making a observation from this last year.

--- End quote ---

If you're just there to dance and not hook up, why does it matter what someone's age is?  I think you're taking the dance a little to seriously.  I think most people would agree that it would be silly to age segregate other other events at the convention where you might interact with someone (gaming hall events, for example); what makes the dance different to you?

gorillazGd:
Sorry I probably should have added that I was mostly concerned for my 15yo sis that I brought with me last year. She had a few creepy encounters in there and was bothered enough not to come back. She did report to staff and one of them were removed. Rereading my first post I should have focused around her and not myself. It should be a place to have fun in our costumes, not a place to hook up. I had to leave with her (to lead her back to her hotel).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version