Age Segragated Dance

Started by gorillazGd, September 08, 2015, 12:22:20 PM

gorillazGd

This is probably controversial to many, but to me the 2015 Fanime dance area to me was an absolutely scary place to be for anyone over the age of 18. As a 19yo college student I was thinking that the dance would be a fun thing to do at the end of the night, but the possibility of problems arising when you mix tweens with full grown adults sent me packing. I simply wanted to meet some people to dance with but I had no way of telling if I would be dancing with a 16 year old or a 20 year old behind the costumes. If it was simply split between one area being 18+ with checked ids (as is already done with the panels) and a under 18 area people could freely dance without the worry of being a creep. Sorry if this is unpopular, just making a observation from this last year.

Mod edit: its called a dance

eHash

We will review the feasibility of an age separated dance.  Please realize with a nightly attendance of 2200 to 4700 it is not realistic to do that many id checks.  It is more realistic to do an Under 18 Only event.

echoshadow

Not sure which point your coming from, from a young person surrounded by older adults or an older adults surrounded by younger people?

As for a scary place, nope no way not even miles close to what you find at any all ages shows at any night club.

Let's be real, are you worried about hooking up with an underage person? I and every adult over 18 has that in the back of their mind. One thing that always calms that is a simple question. "How old are you?"  Now depending on both people their answers will come down to their own morals or goals.

If all you want to is dance and have a good time, age is not a factor. And there is zero to worry about.

If you have some ulterior motive that includes dancing and hanging out at the dance then I hope both people have the common logic to make the right choices. Fanime can't tell us how or to whom we should have fun with. 

With that said it's up to everyone to look out for themselves. But I get it if your 18 or younger you don't want some 20 something hitting on you, or do, I'm not sure these days. This is a touchy subject after all.  Guess what I'm trying to say is don't be a creep, stop trying too hard to hook up with someone at the dance, or if you feel some person is being too creepy tell then to stop, if they don't get it ask staff or security. There will always be creeps regardless of age group. 

In all my years going to Fanime and going to the dance (I still find it silly people still call it that) I have yet to confuse the age of a girl for a minor. Then again I don't go looking to hook up at the dance. /humble brag.

Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Amanojaku

Quote from: gorillazGd on September 08, 2015, 12:22:20 PM
This is probably controversial to many, but to me the 2015 Fanime dance area to me was an absolutely scary place to be for anyone over the age of 18. As a 19yo college student I was thinking that the dance would be a fun thing to do at the end of the night, but the possibility of problems arising when you mix tweens with full grown adults sent me packing. I simply wanted to meet some people to dance with but I had no way of telling if I would be dancing with a 16 year old or a 20 year old behind the costumes. If it was simply split between one area being 18+ with checked ids (as is already done with the panels) and a under 18 area people could freely dance without the worry of being a creep. Sorry if this is unpopular, just making a observation from this last year.

If you're just there to dance and not hook up, why does it matter what someone's age is?  I think you're taking the dance a little to seriously.  I think most people would agree that it would be silly to age segregate other other events at the convention where you might interact with someone (gaming hall events, for example); what makes the dance different to you?

FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku

gorillazGd

Sorry I probably should have added that I was mostly concerned for my 15yo sis that I brought with me last year. She had a few creepy encounters in there and was bothered enough not to come back. She did report to staff and one of them were removed. Rereading my first post I should have focused around her and not myself. It should be a place to have fun in our costumes, not a place to hook up. I had to leave with her (to lead her back to her hotel).

echoshadow

Ah, it makes sense now. Well as an older brother myself, I know it's stressful trying to look out after them at that age. And at that age they all think they know was is best for themselves. (Which they don't)

To be blunt, it's not up to Fanime to protect your sister. Sure there are general safeguards for all attendees but it's up to you and her.  As cruel as it sounds I think that was a great life lesson for her. Even though Fanime is a great place, there are people that ruin/take advantage of the event. 

Personally I would not have let my sister out of my sight at the dance. Then again I have had serious talk about all the creep moves dudes will/are/going to pull on her. And she can defend herself if need be. But she always had that extra safety blanket that her big bros would take care of her.  Which there as been times which we did (I invoke the 5 admentment for this one.) resolve some issues.

Hopefully you can convince your sister to come back and try it again. With what she's learned as well as being one year older and wiser, and hopefully less creepers, she'll have a great time.

Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

SquishyK

I sympathize with your issue, unfortunately I'm not sure how much age segregation for dances would really help. It would be pretty easy for older people who are intentional creepers to sneak into an under age dance. There isn't any standard form of ID that can be checked for minors and any ID (school and such) that can be checked can also be easily forged. On the flip side when you have an 18 and older only dance I feel that would only create an atmosphere where attendees are more likely to go with the intent of trying to hook up. And considering the chaotic nature of a con with thousands of people and the challenge it is to police and address cases of harassment and such I'm not sure that a "hook up" event is really the sort of atmosphere that fanime should promote/facilitate. I'm just gonna have to agree with the others. I think using your best judgment in these situations is probably the most that you can do. Also, I think that Fanime's Black and White Ball is really the more "family friendly" and "all ages" dance. (though admittedly I haven't gone in a few years so it might have changed).

I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

WorldDominationStudios

What word was everyone using before the mods replaced it with "dance"?

Abyss1

Quote from: WorldDominationStudios on May 16, 2017, 01:16:18 PM
What word was everyone using before the mods replaced it with "dance"?

probably a 4 letter word rhyming with save...

my guess is because Fanime doesn't want to be associated with drug culture

DankLordPopo

lol why would we bring drugs into something that doesn't relate with at all
"I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say"

DankLordPopo

And I guess we can have people who are over 16 be with the others, and the youngins can be with each other
"I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say"

Abyss1

Quote from: DankLordPopo on May 16, 2017, 05:16:44 PM

Well the word i was referring to and the word the mods changed IS related ...unfortunately along with things like glow sticks, face masks, and wearing too many beads

WorldDominationStudios

Were people using that word because most of the music is techno/trance?

HunterZero

The word that must not be used likely has implications for the facility and therefore for FanimeCon, especially in the realm of insurance and liability. It has an extremely negative connotation that would likely impact FanimeCon's ability to host an event with that name, irrespective of if it actually has all the hallmarks of a standard event.

Dance events are still held across the country and have a completely different association with them. Saying you are holding or attending a dance doesn't have nearly as much as a negative connotation.

Hence, the choice of language is a specific and particular one that has importance associated with it. The words we choose are important.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Abyss1

Quote from: HunterZero on May 17, 2017, 03:13:57 PM
The word that must not be used likely has implications for the facility and therefore for FanimeCon, especially in the realm of insurance and liability. It has an extremely negative connotation that would likely impact FanimeCon's ability to host an event with that name, irrespective of if it actually has all the hallmarks of a standard event.

Dance events are still held across the country and have a completely different association with them. Saying you are holding or attending a dance doesn't have nearly as much as a negative connotation.

Hence, the choice of language is a specific and particular one that has importance associated with it. The words we choose are important.

Fanime has never called it one...nor will they ever (thank god)...the issue is people spreading the incorrect term around and hence you have outside people of Fanime trying to attend

Quote from: WorldDominationStudios on May 17, 2017, 02:40:33 PM
Were people using that word because most of the music is techno/trance?

No because people turned it into one and it started to get out of control (drinking included)...I've been going to them since 1999.  Why do you think glow sticks arent allowed

TC X0 Lt 0X

Probably the reason anyone takes drugs > They make you feel good/better and can give you energy in the case if uppers. You can be assured that there are drugs all over Con. It is inescapable given the nature of the Con (and its 24h days).
Quote from: Abyss1 on May 17, 2017, 03:45:30 PM
No because people turned it into one and it started to get out of control (drinking included)...I've been going to them since 1999.  Why do you think glow sticks arent allowed

When did they implement that policy? I have not been to a Fanime 'Dance' for 2 or 3 years, but last I was there there was certainly people with at least electric glow sticks. I imparticulary remember the only issue with chemical glow sticks was that they could leak and cause a mess and werent allowed.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Abyss1

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on May 18, 2017, 02:42:29 AM

Probably the reason anyone takes drugs > They make you feel good/better and can give you energy in the case if uppers. You can be assured that there are drugs all over Con. It is inescapable given the nature of the Con (and its 24h days).

When did they implement that policy? I have not been to a Fanime 'Dance' for 2 or 3 years, but last I was there there was certainly people with at least electric glow sticks. I imparticulary remember the only issue with chemical glow sticks was that they could leak and cause a mess and werent allowed.

you have to be pretty naive if you think the majority of people who listen to electronic music and dance all night don't do drugs...

the no glowstick policy ....I dunno for a while now ...i seriously doubt Fanime was concerned with people spilling glow stick chemicals.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Abyss1 on May 18, 2017, 11:58:22 AM
Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on May 18, 2017, 02:42:29 AM

you have to be pretty naive if you think the majority of people who listen to electronic music and dance all night don't do drugs...

the no glowstick policy ....I dunno for a while now ...i seriously doubt Fanime was concerned with people spilling glow stick chemicals.

Well I remember specific rules where chemical glowsticks were banned at one point while electric ones were not. I dont remember the specific year, but chemical sticks sticks could not even be sold in the dealers hall or swap meet, but electric ones were widely available. I could be remembering though.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

eHash

The ban on chemical glowsticks was implemented in 2012.
This was in response to 3 things:
(1) cracked open glowsticks (whether intentional or not) caused damage to the facillities.  the liquid is highly toxic and dangerous.
(2) some attendees cut open glowsticks and poured it on their cosplay/skin in the hopes to "glow"
(3) the convention put in new carpets and glowsticks were one of their major concerns.

MyAlterEg0

"you have to be pretty naive if you think the majority of people who listen to electronic music and dance all night don't do drugs..."

are you fricken kidding me? that's the same as thinking all asians are bad drivers.

"the no glowstick policy ....I dunno for a while now ...i seriously doubt Fanime was concerned with people spilling glow stick chemicals."

....if it wasn't that, why wouldn't they ban led gloves?