FanimeCon: Participate, Join, Create > Ideas and Suggestions

Sponsorship?

(1/4) > >>

citrus:
This is what I never understand about the convention. How come there is never any sponsorship? During 2014 I think I saw some sponsorship panels. Or are industry panels and sponsorship completely different? anyways, If there is some pride in having a big convention without sponsorship I think it's time the convention changes it's thinking. (note yes I know complain a lot and I still will continue to do so. Just in more of a calm fashion if I can)

I can don't see that many cons in doing in getting sponsorship unless someone can correct me otherwise. Anyways, 1. With sponsorship you will be able to bring guests otherwise you might not be able to get at all. The attendees will be happy and be more willing to fly or drive to the convention if sponsorship can bring in more big name Japanese guests. 2 What if it was big name companies like Good Smile Company willing to sponsor and sell their products? People love their products and how fast they sell is amazing. Or anime companies like Aniplex or Pony canyon. I've been to conventions like Sakura-con (Almost the same size in attendance as Fanime now) and AX. Because of those events Sakuracon was able to get Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, Voice actor of Kirito. If anything company sponsorship can many things. If it means giving the company a nice, flashy vendor booth selling their products then I be more happy and 3. Who doesn't like learning the hottest new anime coming soon or the next figurine being made?

I've seen what sponsorship can do and it's amazing so why not start getting some now or at least start slowly implementing it? I can give an example Touhoucon 2015 was a small convention that focuses solely on the game series were able to bring in the biggest name guests related to the series as well as non-related touhou guest but is known for other things. While they had an excessive amount of sponsorship unentirely related to the convention in the vendors hall and some booth areas but at the same time they must have used the funds from unrelated sponsorship to get guests related to the game series itself.

My point being is that other small conventions are slowly implementing sponsorship and I don't think that's a bad thing. Unless if the staff or other members of the forums have counter-arguments I'd be more then happy to read them, as all I want is discussion.

echoshadow:
Well..... This has been asked since I been coming to Fanime in 2008.
It's been asked at every closing feedback panel.

So....??

Unless Fanime moves to a bigger venue or inplace an attendance cap. Then that would happen.
Or we get a new chair that flips the whole system out the window.

So like every year, we will have to wait and see if the next year would be better.

Nina Star 9:
I think that the "by fans, for fans" tagline is supposed to mean "regular people, not industry people." While I wouldn't be opposed to industry sponsorship (except that it might create a new set of problems, like overcrowding), I feel like it goes against this con's self-perceived mission and climate, and thus will always be hit with opposition from staff. I feel like this con tries to be "not AX," and industry sponsorship would go against that.

Of course, the con can have sponsorship and not be an industry-run con, but I'm not sure if the heads of the con would want that, either.

SquishyK:
Fanime has in the past put industry adds in the schedule books (probably to offset the cost of printing) and I'm not sure if they still do that or not but it was a big change at the time. And they allow industry people like Crunchy Roll to get a booth in the dealers hall. But I do think fanime makes it a goal to be a "fan run" convention. That's what it was to start out with, so much so that they adopted it as a moto. It's really quite remarkable what Fanime has been able to accomplish given that outlook. If you want to sit through industry panels about the next anime or figurine then go to AX, Silicon Valley Comi Con, or some other industry run con.  I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to have those but Fanime has a different focus and that's good too. Fact is there are plenty of big industry cons and there are also fan con. Let industry cons be what they are and the fan cons be what they are and attend the one you like more. Don't try to "fix" something you think is "broken" just because it doesn't match your tastes.

Amanojaku:

--- Quote from: pitin on November 12, 2015, 12:42:36 PM --- Fact is there are plenty of big industry cons and there are also fan con. Let industry cons be what they are and the fan cons be what they are and attend the one you like more. Don't try to "fix" something you think is "broken" just because it doesn't match your tastes.

--- End quote ---
^ This, so much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version