Why are the Philadelphia 76ers so bad?

Started by Giantsgiants, November 24, 2015, 10:32:03 PM

Giantsgiants

As of this post, the Philadelphia 76ers are off to a 0-15 start. They currently have a 25 game losing streak dating back to last season. They are 2 losses away from setting a new record for the longest losing streak in professional sports. (Currently, the longest losing streak is at 26, held by the 1976-1977 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the 2010-2011 Cleveland Cavaliers, and the 2013-2014 Philadelphia 76ers.)

I thought this would be a good discussion while we wait for the NorCal cons to come around. So, why are the 76ers so bad? Will they ever win a game this season?

Discuss.

And no, I am not a 76ers fan.

AALanline

First off I want to begin by saying the 76ers losing streak isn't on the same level as the Creamsicle Bucs, that is a level of ineptitude on its own.

As for your question, this has more to do with the plan their general manager had decided upon. The GM only believes in high ceiling players and is building his team with this in mind. The team isn't interested in adding veterans to teach these kids how to play better instead they only want draft picks. This season is another attempt to strike it big with another freshman phenom from college. The biggest issue in the past is their last 3 big ticket players have all been big men, specifically centers. On top of that one of them isn't even healthy enough to show what he can do on the court. The team also rid themselves of their last good guards because the GM believes someone unproven out of college with higher potential will lead them to wins.

The TLDR answer is they are tanking, they don't win because the team is young and the GM doesn't want that anyways. It wouldn't be a stretch to say most of the fans are more interested in College basketball right now. They're most likely scouting out guys in hopes the ping pong balls fall where they should and they get the number 1 pick they covet so much.

Don't expect a drastic change either, once these picks come in they still need to play together enough to develop the necessary chemistry to do well.