Hotels....

Started by fanimefreak, January 03, 2016, 06:25:54 PM

Ecchi ja Nai

Wow.  The initial post from FB stating that attendee housing would be opening "soon" was published back on January 20th.  Today, three weeks later, we finally get information on when hotel reg will be opening.  It'll be another week until the booking window emails are sent out, and then an additional week on top of that before people can actually begin to register.

Apparently when they said "soon," they actually meant "in a little more than a month."  At this rate, Fanime 2017 will also be here soon.

Yeah, I'm glad we finally have some decent information to go by, but come on.  You really can't say that it's "better late than never" in this case when you consider what's involved for hopeful attendees.  I mean, unless the blocks of time allotted to each group of people to register for a room is only a couple of hours long - which it better not be - you're almost definitely going to have people who wind up just starting the process of signing up for a room less than three months before the start of the con.  I'm hopeful this new process reduces, if not eliminates, the waitlist this year, but if it doesn't it's going to be really tight for those waiting to see if any rooms free up.  I don't even remember how long a window there is to cancel a reservation, but yikes.  People better plan carefully.

I actually thought rolling out the rooms in blocks based on when people registered was a welcome change.  We won't really know how well it works until housing actually opens, but at least it's an attempt at an improvement rather than sticking with the tried-and-terrible.  Despite that, we really should have been able to book rooms by now.  Teasing us with the promise of progress only to make us wait an additional 35 days before we can actually do anything was just a low blow.

I even double-checked the post to make sure I wasn't being unfair, but no, the second sentence in the post specifically said the actual registration was opening soon:
QuoteHello FanimeCon community!

FanimeCon attendee housing will be opening soon. This year we are implementing a new process to improve the room booking experience. Here are some more details about our new booking process.
Only towards the end does it mention posting date information soon, and now we finally know how look it took to get that out.

At this point there's not much we can do.  I can only hope that the actual registration process works out... and in the mean time add snark to my posts here.  That, and check to see if there's been any updates to other important con information.

Guests: Coming soon
MusicFest: Coming soon
Swap Meet: Coming soon
dang.

Angelx624

Well, Ecchi, at this rate, those "coming soons" probably mean a month and a half from now..... (._.)"

At least we finally have a date on when hotels start opening up for the pre-regged people. Now I have til the 24th(or later) to figure out my exact room situation....... XDD (I have an idea of it, but need to confirm who's rooming with me. Siiigh...)
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

citrus

Meanwhile, in animazement!

*Looks at the crazy amount of guests they're bringing and the information they have available to give attendees an idea on what they have install for that convention. And compares it to fanime's lack of communication and information about ANY EVENTS as well lack of guest announcements.*

Yep... Fanime has not changed that much in the past 4 years. The only thing that has changed for 2016 is that their communication towards attendees are a LITTLE better but not by much. I can guarantee you the staff are reading this and yet they won't comment about our concerns at all on the forums. They are communicating on facebook but communication is still not as good as it should be. At least instead of claming up and instead they are answering very important questions. And despite the changes in the hotel system, we don't know whether or not it's GOING to work.

Okay so this is what I am understanding.  February 17th is the day informing you of your booking window with more information on next steps. Meaning what exactly? What time we can register for hotels and how to book a room? Housing Priority windows will open for registration on February 24th. Meaning those that have registered to whatever day or month will be available to all and register it?  General housing reservations will open on February 29th, 2016. This I can understand. CHAOS WILL NOW ENSUE. I hope this year's hotel system will be better then last year's...

Honestly, to me all that Fanime has got it going for me is that 1. That it's cheap and is close by where I live 2. Musicfest and 3. the vendor's hall. The reason why I have been so salty since I joined the forums was because of Fanime's Abysmal communication 1. I feel like Fanime has not changed and the quality of programming has gone downhill since 2012 3. Late, late EVERYTHING is SUPER late and hamstringed together. 2015 everything felt so rushed!  and definitely for me 4. What else is there to do at the memorial weekend? and 5 a big factor for me. Guest quality and programming has gone downhill or not changed in my eyes. We have the same panels and the same 2 guests that come to Fanime every year.

Fanime's tagline "For fans, by fans"? Does that mean that the entire Fanime show is run by a bunch of amateurs? I remember Fanime use to felt like it was ran very professionally but as time goes by... I feel like it's amateurs, that run the show now because on how every is late and for it's lack of communication. The conventions get's bigger and bigger each year, shouldn't the attendee's money be going towards improvements significant improvements instead of remaining the same?

*Sigh* there I said my pieces of salty complaints and get it out of my system...

Ecchi ja Nai

Heh, I suppose in an attempt to rub salt into open wounds, I just got an email notifying me that the hotel blocks for Anime Expo are now open.  We still have another two days until we hear when we're able to reg for Fanime's hotels.  So, yeah...

fanimefreak

Does anyone have their email yet? Or have any idea when they plan on sending out emails today?

OtakuAngel87

I was just about to ask same thing... I'd assume they would email throughout the day and I've been checking every hr, still nothing :(
Quote from: fanimefreak on February 17, 2016, 10:34:31 AM
Does anyone have their email yet? Or have any idea when they plan on sending out emails today?
Fanime 2017 Cosplay Lineup(tentative):
Himouto Umaru
Mikuzukin
Hatsune Miku (original)
Sailor Moon

novaks47

I just got my email. Looks like we get a date, and a 3-hour window to book. Mine is Feb 25, at 3PM, for example.

svatoid

I just got me e-mail. It was time stamped at 11:01 AM

Avairrianna

Got my time block for 2/25 at noon
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

OtakuAngel87

I just got mine too, however, I thought it was 1 confirmation per badge?? How does it work if your a group leader? My date is 24th at 6 am >. <
Himouto Umaru
Mikuzukin
Hatsune Miku (original)
Sailor Moon

YaoiCat

Quote from: OtakuAngel87 on February 17, 2016, 11:16:22 AM
I just got mine too, however, I thought it was 1 confirmation per badge?? How does it work if your a group leader? My date is 24th at 6 am >. <

I'm wondering the same thing, I'm a group leader and I have a couple of other people in my group that will need to get their own room, but I'm the only person who received the email about hotel booking window.

The 24th at 6am though, that's a good time slot!!  Mine isn't until the 25th at 12pm, I hope there are still rooms available :/

Dracil

I think everyone in the group should have received an email separately with their reservation info.  That was the case for us.

OtakuAngel87

I'm sure there will be rooms by time u get to your time block. I'm hoping they get back to me asap regarding the issue for teams that will need multiple rooms.
Quote from: YaoiCat on February 17, 2016, 11:34:57 AM
Quote from: OtakuAngel87 on February 17, 2016, 11:16:22 AM

I'm wondering the same thing, I'm a group leader and I have a couple of other people in my group that will need to get their own room, but I'm the only person who received the email about hotel booking window.

The 24th at 6am though, that's a good time slot!!  Mine isn't until the 25th at 12pm, I hope there are still rooms available :/
Himouto Umaru
Mikuzukin
Hatsune Miku (original)
Sailor Moon

OtakuAngel87

I don't think fanime has my other group members emails. When I got original confirmation for the badge I was sent everyones info. That kind of sucks, would have been nice if we were told ahead of time.
Quote from: Dracil on February 17, 2016, 11:39:03 AM
I think everyone in the group should have received an email separately with their reservation info.  That was the case for us.
Himouto Umaru
Mikuzukin
Hatsune Miku (original)
Sailor Moon

YaoiCat

Quote from: OtakuAngel87 on February 17, 2016, 11:40:49 AM
I don't think fanime has my other group members emails. When I got original confirmation for the badge I was sent everyones info. That kind of sucks, would have been nice if we were told ahead of time.

Same, I used my e-mail address for everyone that I registered in my group.  I emailed fanime housing about it and all they told me was that they were unable to send my group members' booking information since they all used my email.  But they didn't tell me how to get my group members' booking info :(

OtakuAngel87

well all we can do is play the waiting game and hope we will b able to get more rooms for groups
Quote from: YaoiCat on February 17, 2016, 11:57:36 AM

Same, I used my e-mail address for everyone that I registered in my group.  I emailed fanime housing about it and all they told me was that they were unable to send my group members' booking information since they all used my email.  But they didn't tell me how to get my group members' booking info :(
Himouto Umaru
Mikuzukin
Hatsune Miku (original)
Sailor Moon

pantsu

got my email... 2/25 at noon.  here's hoping i can get something decent by then.

i registered pretty late, actually.  did it right after they announced the priority hotel thing on FB.  i'm interested to know how many badges were binned per 3 hr time slot (10? 100? etc.).  anyone have insight on that?
2018 lineup:
Fri - Miss Frizzle
Sat - Oren Pierre Alfonso (KR Gaim)
Sun - General Leia (SW: TFA)
Mon - Samwell jersey (OMG Check Please!)

Kyra_Maverick

It looks like all that is needed to book the room is the attendee's last name and their registration number. You can access this info for your group by logging into the registration website. I imagine everyone in the group has the same booking window.

OtakuAngel87

thanks ill try that last time I tried to log in though it said it couldn't find my info, b ut  ill try again
Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on February 17, 2016, 01:01:42 PM

It looks like all that is needed to book the room is the attendee's last name and their registration number. You can access this info for your group by logging into the registration website. I imagine everyone in the group has the same booking window.
Himouto Umaru
Mikuzukin
Hatsune Miku (original)
Sailor Moon

Amanojaku

FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku