Hotels....

Started by fanimefreak, January 03, 2016, 06:25:54 PM

crystalsoul

Wont lie, im really salty about how this years hotel reg turned out. i bought my ticket less than a half hour after they made the announcment about how buying your ticket sooner = earlier hotel reg...and my block is today at noon. But everything i wanted is gone. I checked this morning around 8am and the marriot had some rooms left, but the 9am block must have swiped those up.

Idk, i was looking forward to this year despite how crowded everything has become the last few years (especially the midnight dance and hentai nights @.@), but the fact that i cant get a hotel connected to the convention center is almost off putting enough to make me not want to go -_-

raltga

I wonder why, for this year only, they didn't do a lottery system for when your hotel slot would be. Then next year base it on when you Reg.

Seems it would have been more fair than not knowing your chances of getting a hotel hinged on when you registered. Then next year they could have implemented it so people know what to expect.

YaoiCat

Quote from: crystalsoul on February 25, 2016, 10:46:40 AM
Wont lie, im really salty about how this years hotel reg turned out. i bought my ticket less than a half hour after they made the announcment about how buying your ticket sooner = earlier hotel reg...and my block is today at noon. But everything i wanted is gone.

Same!  And if they'd made the announcement when registration first became available, I would have registered right away.  It's such a bummer.  I've been attending this con since '08 and have stayed at the Hilton every time, but now I'll be stuck with some other hotel.  It won't be the same experience that I look forward to every year :(

crystalsoul

Quote from: YaoiCat on February 25, 2016, 11:09:16 AM
Quote from: crystalsoul on February 25, 2016, 10:46:40 AM
Wont lie, im really salty about how this years hotel reg turned out. i bought my ticket less than a half hour after they made the announcment about how buying your ticket sooner = earlier hotel reg...and my block is today at noon. But everything i wanted is gone.

Same!  And if they'd made the announcement when registration first became available, I would have registered right away.  It's such a bummer.  I've been attending this con since '08 and have stayed at the Hilton every time, but now I'll be stuck with some other hotel.  It won't be the same experience that I look forward to every year :(

This will be my 10th year going and im the same way, always at the hilton (marriot for 2 years).

On an off topic, for those who did reserve their hotel rooms, did you receive one or two confirmation emails? my friend got two and he cant figure out if he somehow managed to get two rooms or if this is normal

TC X0 Lt 0X

The worst part is that this new system does not solve any problems besides scalpers. Next Year we will have a race all the same, just with badges instead of hotel rooms. And considering some people travel from afar and need a place to stay to attend, if they can't get a room then they just wasted $55-60 on a badge they cant refund.

In my opinion they should just go back to the old system, and just invest in extra servers for the launch date so we dont have any massive site crashes. Maybe have two groups of rooms that become available at different times for those that might be unable to book at a specific time.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Well Im glad I made it through my reservation before all these timeout errors popped up at least, even if the room I got is away from my groups other room.
This system doesn't even solve the issue with the site locking up apparently.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

phr34kish

And everything for Thursday/Friday-Monday within walking distance of the convention center is officially gone. At least with first come first serve I knew what I was getting. This new system has done nothing to help me or any other artist showcasing at this convention.

YaoiCat

I'm so mad!  The site is crashing just as badly as every other year, I tried calling and I was on hold for 20 minutes and had to give up because I'm at work.  This is even worse than previous years, the new system has solved NOTHING.  Now I don't have a room.  SO MAD.

citrus

"Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool.  This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached." *Double facepalm* Thank you Fanime... Thank you Fanime... THANK YOU for screwing up hotel registration YET AGAIN!!! Even with the new system I STILL face the same error that many people have experienced in the past. You guys HOPED it would fix the problem. Guess what? IT DIDN'T!!! Hoping is not enough. If you guys ask me you should be ashamed of yourselves for making all your attendee go through this crap every year! You guys rarely answer our questions or concerns, EVERYTHING IS LATE AGAIN! All you staff are bunch of amateurs  that still can't fix the same problem we face time and time again! The new system is a LITTLE better but not by much!

TC X0 Lt 0X

One of these days Ill have a decent enough income to just reserve rooms without going through these awful reservation sites.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Vasyenka

Same! I managed to get a confirmation before the site started crashing, but it took me ages just trying to modify my reservation so we'd be on the waitlist (right now we're not even staying during the main days of the convention lol). This morning my friend had absolutely no issues getting her room, and from what I'm reading, others as well.

Just a hunch, but I kind of feel like Fanime shoved too many people into one time slot, at 12pm today. Juuuust a teeny tiny hunch. Just a little one.
Fanimu 2022 Cosplay Lineup:
[Rutile] [Zhongli] [Sakuya Izayoi] [Tifa Lockhart] [Chain Chompette]

pantsu

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on February 25, 2016, 12:21:16 PM
This system doesn't even solve the issue with the site locking up apparently.

I think this is the most infuriating part of this year's hotel reg.  Even SEVERELY REDUCING the number of people trying to get a hotel at once STILL made their servers crash/have errors.

Fun fact: a very large professional meeting I attend also uses CMR web apps for registration and hotels.  Average attendance for that meeting is ~35,000 scientists from all over the world and there's always a big rush when housing opens (I should note that even they do not require you to have bought a badge to reserve a hotel, and even so, their badges can be refunded up to a certain date).  I don't think I've ever experienced the crashing/timeout errors for that meeting as I have with Fanime.
2018 lineup:
Fri - Miss Frizzle
Sat - Oren Pierre Alfonso (KR Gaim)
Sun - General Leia (SW: TFA)
Mon - Samwell jersey (OMG Check Please!)

Nina Star 9

I got plenty of timeout errors and I was there right at noon. :| My sister has been trying but she can't get anything because she gets timeout errors and by the time she gets through, the rooms are oversold.

I currently have a single night at the Hilton, which isn't going to do me much good. I'm waitlisted for the rest of the nights and praying that I get through.

The new system is TERRIBLE.

Still full of server errors and timeout issues. The only people who this benefits are the 6AMers and maybe 9AMers from yesterday. The fact that the AA people got really late reservation times really makes me probably even angrier than the fact that I can't get a room within walking distance. It's hardly worth it for me to even go to this con without a connected room.

Pretty mad about all this.

Avairrianna

This year is way worse! I'm getting all the error codes and hangups as everyone else in this time block! They probably put too many people in this time block because we we're the, "Oh shit I have to register NOW to get my hotel!" people! I thought they'd put a cap by people for the time slots but I guess not just everyone that panicked got noon today!

The website wont even let me waitlist on my husband's reservation it's so glitched! But it did FOR SOME STRANGE F*UCKING REASON suddenly opened up the Fairmont for those days and I think I successfully got it to modify to that hotel...yet I was trying to waitlist...

This system has brought nothing to the table except all the luck ones that bought their regs ahead of time. Our time slot was the real test of the system and we broke it! Congrats Fanime you did solve anything! I've gotten better service both online AND by phone in previous years but this year just sucks! Maybe things will cool down by 2 and we can actually use the site?!
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

Ginkage

Every year without fail this happens. I got my badge the day after they made the announcement and I actually had some extra money. My booking window isn't until 3pm... Alas all the hotels are either out already or will be gone by then. Even last year having all the issues and spending  6 hrs on the phone I got a Fairmont room. I expected there to be room added in each booking window but doesn't look like that happened. This also doesn't include the rooms for Staff and Vendors which are decidedly going to be at the 4 hotels next to the convention center. It boggles my mind lastly that there are the random days at some hotels leftover... like seriously? May be my last year

SquishyK

Quote from: Vasyenka on February 25, 2016, 12:33:46 PM
Just a hunch, but I kind of feel like Fanime shoved too many people into one time slot, at 12pm today. Juuuust a teeny tiny hunch. Just a little one.

My theory on this is that today's 12 PM time slot included most of the people who rushed to buy badges right away when they found out it would affect when they could get a hotel. While most of the previous time slots were a mix of people interested in getting a hotel and locals that just happened to purchase their badge early but have other lodging plans. So the noon slot probably didn't have any more people in it then previous time slots but everyone in the noon slot rushed the servers.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

Nina Star 9

My sister was also having a hard time accessing the waitlist. If you go to https://www4.cmrhousing.com/fanime2016/Housing/WaitlistChange/[your hotel confirmation number] you can access it directly. The links weren't even showing up for her.

I feel like most people I've seen post their times have said that they had 12PM today, so I have a feeling that it was by date/time range and not by number of registrations, which is the worst way to go about it. I wish we could have some staff confirmation on how they actually split up the hotel reservation blocks.

This whole thing has been a nightmare.

I've been coming to this con since 2003 and haven't missed a year. This will be my 14th Fanimecon. But I don't know why I keep coming back. :|

TC X0 Lt 0X

You  know its pretty weird just how many rooms are available only on Saturday =P

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

novaks47

Quote from: phr34kish on February 25, 2016, 12:24:52 PM
And everything for Thursday/Friday-Monday within walking distance of the convention center is officially gone. At least with first come first serve I knew what I was getting. This new system has done nothing to help me or any other artist showcasing at this convention.

Yep,I just checked it,and the nearest available is just shy of 3 miles away. Good thing I'm getting back in shape.  >:(

EDIT : Scratch that, the closest single is 3.5 miles away. I wonder if anything will be available by 3PM.

iAteTheRamen

As someone not new to Fanime, but new to booking a hotel room on my own, the timeouts had me screaming. ;__; At first I genuinely thought something was wrong with my laptop or my connection.