Hotels....

Started by fanimefreak, January 03, 2016, 06:25:54 PM

phr34kish

Aahhhhh - I'm glad to see it's at least moving SOME! I was getting anxious it wasn't going to move at all given the setup this year. I'm still not holding out much hope my waitlist will push through though. I didn't get to register till the 3:00PM block on the 25th and there are already lots in front of me. xD

Mango Bunny

Ugh that email about the cancellation deadline got !y hopes up this morning. It's still a good thing though! Maybe people will cancel before the deadline!!!

AnimeJet

I hope the email encourages people to drop cancel! Still no movement for me  :'( (Or other artists as far as I know)

Mango Bunny

I think we may be in a game of hotel chicken....

I'm still deciding whether to drop and just save money this year and not go. I won't release my room until the 11th hour though!!! I feel others may be doing the same.

Nina Star 9

I feel like there's going to be a number of cancellations in the next day or two because they sent out that mass email about it. I agree with the "hotel chicken" thing though -- I actually just texted my sister using that exact phrase LOL

Good luck to those who are still gambling on getting their waitlists before the cancellation deadline! :D

Mango Bunny

Well, still Nada. No word on the wait list. It's almost the 29th!

crystalsoul

Mango what was your reservation date and time slot?

YaoiCat

My time slot was the 25th at 12pm and I got my waitlist confirmation by 1pm, haven't heard back yet though.

Mango Bunny

Quote from: crystalsoul on April 26, 2016, 12:02:19 PM
Mango what was your reservation date and time slot?

Admittedly I booked the 26th- general reg. I didn't have extra money when badges opened and figured there was no harm in waiting....
Luckily I did notice they opened general on tfe 26th rather than the 29th like they said they were going to do.

I feel like I'm SOL.

jm1991

Quick question and advise needed. So i been going to fanime for a couple of years now and i usually just shared the room with my bf for the weekend. Due to unfortunate events im left with a room at the Residence Inn Airport from friday-monday. The room is a 1bedroon king suite 450sqf + Pullout sofa, mini kitchen. Its a brand new property with large clean rooms and hot breakfast every morning and the light rail stop less than a block off which will drop you off at the convention center. I have never shared a room with anyone so im not quite sure as to how much a spot would go for and looking for suggestions.. im willing to give up the bedroom (private)(would that be 1 spot or 2 if shared?) and the couch and im willing to sleep on the floor. Also how does one take care of the transactions? or if someone bails out? Any tips and suggestions will be appreciated either as a reply to this or on a PM :) Thanks in advance
here are some pictures of the hotel and room.. taken from the hotel site

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

AnimeJet

Quote from: YaoiCat on April 26, 2016, 02:11:11 PM
My time slot was the 25th at 12pm and I got my waitlist confirmation by 1pm, haven't heard back yet though.

same slot and i think i got on the waitlist even earlier (like immediately after picking) but no movement for me either :/

Mango Bunny

This is honestly really upsetting. Today is the drop cut off.

It's not happening.

I know I'm just being a spoiled brat, but I'm really upset about this!

As a side note, does anyone know anything about parking at or around the Doubletree?

Amanojaku

Quote from: Mango Bunny on April 29, 2016, 12:48:03 PM

It's not happening.

As a side note, does anyone know anything about parking at or around the Doubletree?
I've stayed at the Double Tree 2013-2015, and parking there wasn't a problem.  Arrived 9-10am ish Friday each time.
FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku

Mango Bunny

Quote from: Amanojaku on April 29, 2016, 01:53:00 PM

It's not happening.

I've stayed at the Double Tree 2013-2015, and parking there wasn't a problem.  Arrived 9-10am ish Friday each time.

Good to know... What about cost? I usually end up finding somewhere around $7/day around the com center.

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: Mango Bunny on April 29, 2016, 01:59:12 PM

Good to know... What about cost? I usually end up finding somewhere around $7/day around the com center.
According to the housing website, Double Tree parking should be $7 for self and $27 for valet.

Xeluu

It's not happening.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been attending since 2002/2003 (not 100% sure which year it was), and I've had a hotel room since 2005/2006ish. This is the first year I've been unable to get a hotel room attached to the convention center.

This is also my second year staffing, and since 2/4 of us in the room are staff, and the other two register late due to their own circumstances, we we're unable to attempt to book a hotel room until it opened to the general public.

I can understand why they made the changes they did, but I wish that they'd announced it much further in advance.

But this is just my own personal comment on the situation, and in NO way should be considered a view of Fanime as a whole.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

Kuudere

It's not happening.

I think you're fine in being upset. I would be, too. I wouldn't give up hope entirely, though. I know people canceled their room right at the deadline, which means that CMR was probably processing all those cancel requests on Friday. I'd expect next week (starting Monday) that they'd be working to get those newly-opened rooms out to those on the waitlist. I'm hoping that that's the case for you. I hate to see Fanime veterans in situations like this.

Is your waitlist request for multiple nearby hotels rather than just the connected ones? I think that would help your chances, but if you don't have them already added, I'd call them to make sure that adding new hotels would not push you to the bottom of the list.

Kuudere

Quote from: jm1991 on April 27, 2016, 12:03:39 AM
Quick question and advise needed. So i been going to fanime for a couple of years now and i usually just shared the room with my bf for the weekend. Due to unfortunate events im left with a room at the Residence Inn Airport from friday-monday. The room is a 1bedroon king suite 450sqf + Pullout sofa, mini kitchen. Its a brand new property with large clean rooms and hot breakfast every morning and the light rail stop less than a block off which will drop you off at the convention center. I have never shared a room with anyone so im not quite sure as to how much a spot would go for and looking for suggestions.. im willing to give up the bedroom (private)(would that be 1 spot or 2 if shared?) and the couch and im willing to sleep on the floor. Also how does one take care of the transactions? or if someone bails out? Any tips and suggestions will be appreciated either as a reply to this or on a PM :)

I'd recommend posting in the roommates thread with some contact info so they can get ahold of you if they're interested. Also, post on the unofficial Fanime group on Facebook. While it's a beautiful room, it probably won't be super high on the desired hotels list because it's not as close as many others. Advertise with information on how to get to the convention from it (I'm not sure if the shuttle goes to this one) and you might get some bites. How you split the cost of the room is up to you - you can make it fair and split it evenly among everyone, or you can have them pay more for taking the bed, or you can cut them a deal and take on more of the cost yourself. If you can justify it ("I'm charging 60% the cost of the room because I will be giving you the bed"), it's fine to ask for more. The bedroom would count as two spots in my opinion. This room is large, so you could probably fit up to 5-6 people (but be aware of your hotel room's occupancy policy - it might only be for 4 people). Though I've never looked for roommates online myself, I'm pretty sure everyone either pays through paypal or cash in person. If you want to cut down on flakers, ask for a percentage of the money to hold as a deposit 2 weeks ahead of the convention. You're more likely to get more serious responses when they know that they have to pay up ahead of the convention. If you want to be very thorough, set up all the deadlines of when you need the money from them, give them an itemized breakdown of the cost so they understand you're not trying to rip them off, and have them agree to all of that before accepting them as a roommate.

These are the things I'd do if it were me in this situation.

Amanojaku

Quote from: Mango Bunny on April 29, 2016, 01:59:12 PM
Quote from: Amanojaku on April 29, 2016, 01:53:00 PM

It's not happening.

Cost I'm not sure... somehow I don't remember paying anything, and I'm not sure if I just forgot because it was affordable, or if its because I'm a Hilton Rewards member.
FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku

RedGxHenshin

Quote from: Kuudere on April 30, 2016, 07:08:36 AM

It's not happening.

I think you're fine in being upset. I would be, too. I wouldn't give up hope entirely, though. I know people canceled their room right at the deadline, which means that CMR was probably processing all those cancel requests on Friday. I'd expect next week (starting Monday) that they'd be working to get those newly-opened rooms out to those on the waitlist. I'm hoping that that's the case for you. I hate to see Fanime veterans in situations like this.

Is your waitlist request for multiple nearby hotels rather than just the connected ones? I think that would help your chances, but if you don't have them already added, I'd call them to make sure that adding new hotels would not push you to the bottom of the list.

I actually wasn't even thinking about it taking more time to process empty rooms for waitlisters. Thanks for mentioning that, now I still feel like there's some hope left. It does make sense because thats alot of moving around to do, like someone from Hyatt/Fairmont/Westin into Hilton/Marriott and then that Hyatt/Fairmont/Westin spot becomes available for the ones who already have the far away hotels like DoubleTree.
Honestly I already have Fairmont but I'm on the waitlist for Ramada, Hilton, and Marriott. My priority window was Feb 25th at 12pm when it was just Fairmont left and another hotel (I forgot which one) but all I wanted was Ramada because of price. I'm hoping at least some Hilton or Marriott rooms become available and I move to one of them and my Fairmont spot becomes available after I move for those who need that one. I have a feeling everyone who has Ramada won't be giving up those rooms.
If it fails, I'm still okay with Fairmont but I was just aiming to get even closer to the con or my favorite hotel Ramada.
Fanime 2016 cosplay line-up: Takeru Tenkuji (Kamen Rider Ghost), Sorey (Tales of Zestiria), Dark Pit (Kid Icarus: Uprising)