Question on what IS and is NOT okay for cosplay

Started by OJ-Orbit, January 16, 2016, 09:12:24 PM

OJ-Orbit

Hi guys, so, im dressing up as a characters from a book im writing. (Vain i know, but it was unique), and they wear and carry military grade stuff. This is mostly posed for the people who run Fanime or really anyone who has more knowledge than I do on this subject.

Looking at rules from years past, i see that it says no patches from modern American military or government, like CIA, DEA, etc.

My costumes feature mainly foreign military powers clothing, however they are not branded as any specific nations military. What is okay as far as military gear? Am i allowed to wear military clothing that is not marked by any nations military/police force?

One last question: I am well aware of the rules on airsoft guns. But some of it i need clarification and help on. What is an okay size or model for an airsoft rifle. Would an airsoft AK47 be fine, provided the electric battery has been removed, the clip was not loaded, and the trigger was locked? How would i lock said trigger? Is having the safety on fine? Or how else can i lock it?

Thank you in advance!

Nina Star 9

The rules for this year have not gone up yet, so this is always subject to change, but take a look through here: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,19864.0.html

Also, as far as I know (and what is stated in that thread), Airsoft guns are not allowed, period. There isn't a type of Airsoft gun that is able to be carried at this con, even if fully disabled. (Weapons that "utilize significant portions of an Airsoft gun" are also not allowed to be carried.)

Again, unofficial answer and subject to change, but that's been the role for the past several years, and I doubt it'll change now. There's really not much to clarify there.

aetherltd

There may be some additional restrictions this year, to comply with SB 199, which took effect January 1, 2016. That new law on "imitation firearms" requires that they can't look even vaguely like a real gun. The little red tip on the barrel is no longer enough. The new California law requires that imitation firearms be a device where the entire exterior surface of the device is white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue, bright pink, or bright purple, either singly or as the predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern, or where the entire device is constructed of transparent or translucent materials which permits unmistakable observation of the device's complete contents.

Yes, really.

There are some narrow exceptions for Airsoft and BB guns. The Airsoft industry lobbied for this. They still have to mark, but not quite as conspicuously. This only applies to functioning Airsoft guns, which Fanime hasn't allowed in the past.

OK with California. Probably not OK with Fanime, because it can actually shoot something.

This was enacted into law after an incident in LA where a cop shot a kid with a toy gun.

The gun lobby hates this. The Airsoft lobby hates this. But they lost, and that law is now in effect.