Fanime FMV Competition 2016 - NOW CLOSED! WINNERS NOW POSTED!

Started by Gaki, February 10, 2016, 10:31:42 PM

Gaki

It's that time of year again! The Fanime AMV/FMV contest is open this year for entries!

Taking over for the competition this year, but my staff and I will be adhering to the standards we've had in years before to try and bring you a quality competition for 2016! Without further ado, let's go over the rules so we can get your entries in!

The Basics:

AMVs must be at least 30 seconds, and no longer than 6 minutes.
Up to 3 entries per person/group; only 1 video per category allowed.
No bumpers, subtitles (unless made by you), watermarks, personal identifiers, titles, company logos or credits.
No AMV Hell-style videos allowed.
Videos that have been sent to prior Fanime AMV contests, altered or not, will not be accepted.
Video must have premiered after July 1, 2015
AMV must contain at least 70% anime, manga, or video game footage.
Must have a minimum resolution of 640x480 and a frame rate of 23.97 or 29.97.

Due April 15, 2016 at 11:59 P.M. PDT

Categories:
Action
Comedy
Drama
Trailer
Upbeat

Encoding
MP4s using H.264/AVC compression are preferred. However, we will also work with AVIs and MPEG2 files. Files larger than 400MB won't be downloaded, so PLEASE compress your work.

Awards
The awards are TBA at a later date.

Prizes will be sent to winners who are not in attendance following the con, but please try to make it to the awards ceremony! More details on that will be provided once we know more about our time slots over the course of Fanime 2016.

Disqualification Rules:
Videos containing portions of another editor's video will be disqualified and the submitter of said video will be permanently banned from all subsequent contests.
Participants who submit videos that are not their own will also be banned permanently.
Refusal to provide one's legal name will result in disqualification from the contest.

Judging & Use:
Videos will be prescreened and judged prior to the convention. The judges reserve the right to move a video to another category if they feel it would be a better fit.
Fanime reserves the right to use submitted AMVs during the convention and subsequent Fanime conventions, regardless of Finalist status.

Due Date:

Competing AMVs and their submission form are due by April 15, 2016 at 11:59 P.M. PDT.

Submission Form:
Please go to http://goo.gl/forms/VG03VjZJJc and provide a download link to your video. Streaming sites are not accepted. We can download from a-m-v.org's local server, but remember, no intros/bumpers/watermarks/titles/credits/etc.
If you don't have all of your videos available at the same time, feel free to use the form multiple times. Please contact us if you need/want to replace an entry with a new one or need to give us an updated download link, however.

If you have any questions, email us at gaki.amv(at)gmail.com. Confirmation emails will be sent out from fmvcontestofficial(at)gmail.com.

And now for the winners!

Action                 
A-1      MycathatesyouAMV   Wavedash Whompathon   The Unguided   Phoenix Down (Zardonic Remix)   Various

Drama                 
D-6      CJEJTHEDJ   Losing Control   Halsey   Control   Puella Magi Madoka Movies

Trailer                 
T-3      Rider4Z   Deadpunch: REDBAND   Deadpool   Deadpool Trailer Audio   One Punch Man

Upbeat                 
U-4      Shin   Just Funkin' Dandy   Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars   Uptown Funk   Space Dandy

Comedy                 
C-6      King Redeem   Just Do It!   Enjoyker   Just Do It! (Auto-tuned)   Various

Audience's Best in Show: Just Funkin' Dandy by Shin
Judge's Best in Show: Losing Control by CJEJTHEDJ

(Not) The Head of FMVs

Fanime FMV Contest Minion 2014
Fanime FMV Contest Second 2015
Fanime FMV Contest Minion Director 2016
Fanime FMV Contest Head 2017
Fanime FMV Contest Second 2018

Tsu

UPDATE: The FMV Contest will be offering the following awards:

$70 Amazon Gift Card for each Best In Category
One $100 Amazon Gift Card for Judges' Best in Show
One $100 Amazon Gift Card for Audience's Best In Show

Attendance is not required in order to receive a prize. Any editors not in attendance will be contacted following the convention to confirm their shipping information.

As with prior years, the winning video of each category is eligible for winning Best in Show, so in theory, a single editor could go home with $270 in prizes.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Meester E

Quote from: Tsu on February 26, 2016, 04:09:05 PM
in theory, a single editor could go home with $270 in prizes.
Has this ever happened before?

XeroRain

When will you guys send out the emails? I'm just worried about you guys not receiving/seeing my submission before the deadline date is all.
2014/2015: Cosplaying as Ludger from Tales of Xillia 2
2016: Garry from Ib
2017: Gaius from Fire Emblem (wip)

Tsu

Hey XeroRain,

My dept head is the one sending out mail- you should receive an acknowledgment within the next few days. However, so long as you hit the submit button and Google said you successfully sent the form, we have your info. :) We base the cutoff on when submissions were entered, not when we download them or inform the entrants, so you're way early and totally fine. Hope that helps!

XeroRain

Thanks for the info! Helped cleared the questions in my mind.

Tsu

Hello Editors,

This is the FINAL WEEK to send in your AMVs for Fanime. If you've been procrastinating, now's the time to kick it into high gear!

We need more entries in every category, but especially upbeat, trailer, and comedy. Keep them coming!

Animator22

I'm one of those procrastinators  :P but on the last few detail edits.

My main question is, its mentioned your video may be placed in a different category. I feel my video fits at least 3 of the categories so I'm not sure what to select. Will the team determine the actual category my video will fit best in?

Thanks! Really looking forward to this year.

Tsu

Quote from: Animator22 on April 12, 2016, 11:06:55 PM
I'm one of those procrastinators  :P but on the last few detail edits.

My main question is, its mentioned your video may be placed in a different category. I feel my video fits at least 3 of the categories so I'm not sure what to select. Will the team determine the actual category my video will fit best in?

Thanks! Really looking forward to this year.

Hi Animator22! Sorry for the late reply.

In short, yes. The judging team will move videos that aren't best suited to the category they were entered into as necessary. It's not done very often, but it has been known to happen. So feel free to submit under any category you like that seems suitable and we'll take care of it if need be. :)

In other news, this is the LAST DAY to enter, folks! You have until midnight pacific time tonight. If you haven't submitted yet, you're nearly out of time! Unless you have Homura's shield or something.

Animator22

Hello,

Just checking to see if there's any information about the event after the submission process. I haven't seen any info after I received the submission received email so just want to be sure the event is still on.

Thank you!!

Gaki

Quote from: Animator22 on May 19, 2016, 11:40:02 AM
Hello,

Just checking to see if there's any information about the event after the submission process. I haven't seen any info after I received the submission received email so just want to be sure the event is still on.

Thank you!!

The event is most definitely still on! I'm working on compiling the preshow and intro at the moment with plans to list the finalists just before the show and emails to be sent to them much before then.

Right now with the video department heads we've got the show planned for 4-8PM on Saturday with an encore to be shown on Sunday at 1:30 to 4:30PM. I won't know which rooms we're going to be using until later this week sadly, so I can't give any more info on that.
(Not) The Head of FMVs

Animator22

Fantastic! Thanks a bunch for the info and good to know theres an encore as well. Will keep an eye out on the schedules at the show.

Looking forward to it!

XeroRain

Same! I'll keep checking back here. I got the times noted down just incase I don't miss it.

Gaki

The show is this afternoon/evening folks! Please remember to leave your ballots at the door so we can tally everything!  Results will be put up on Monday after the awards are handed out at Stage Zero.

Hope everyone enjoys the show!
(Not) The Head of FMVs

misterinu

Is there a list of finalists available so we can see which AMVs have made it into the contest?

Gaki

Alrighty folks, with connui setting in, lemme break down the final listing for our finalists and the winners for each category! This is the complete listing available, with the winners in bold and highlighted in red. In the coming days I'll be confirming with the winners and getting their prizes over to them.

I'd like to thank again the editors who entered the contest - we really could not have done the competition without you and it's been a real pleasure working to get the show on track. Without further ado, here's the list of finalists and winners!

Action                  
A-1      MycathatesyouAMV   Wavedash Whompathon   The Unguided   Phoenix Down (Zardonic Remix)   Various
A-2      MoonieAMV   Kill La Funk   Vigilante 8 2nd Offense   Gimme Mo Torque   Kill La Kill
A-3      SaberAMVz   Hero   Toma   Geroi   Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
A-4      Drewaconclusion   Slice Slice Revolution   RevenG vs DE-SIRE   TSUGARU   Katanagatari
A-5      AntaresHeart07   Every Scar Will Be My Throne   Bring Me the Horizon   Throne   Akame Ga Kill
A-6      Xophilarus   Reclaim   Riot Games (feat. Nikki Taylor)   World's Collide   Attack on Titan
A-7      AMV-X   Warrior Inside   Leader   Warrior Inside   Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
A-8      CJEJTHEDJ   Pursuit & Conflict   Blue Stahli   Chaser   Various

Drama                  
D-1      Holland Hayford   Center of Attention   Jackson Waters   Center of Attention   Ano Hi Mita Hana No Namae wo Bokutachi Wa Mada Shiranai
D-2      Celia Phantomhive   Fish Out of Water   USS   Shipwreck   Free!
D-3      PiercedSky   Celestial   Sabrina Carpenter   We'll Be the Stars   Hibike! Euphonium
D-4      Shin/Xophilarus   Crucible of Souls   Of Monsters and Men   Human   Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
D-5      DistantMelodies   When Stars Align   Major Lazer (ft. Wild Belle)   Be Together   Shigatsu Wa Kimi No Uso
D-6      CJEJTHEDJ   Losing Control   Halsey   Control   Puella Magi Madoka Movies
D-7      Rider4Z   Unsheathed   Bastille   Laura Palmer   The Boy and the Beast
D-8      OnyxAMVs   Not a Dream   Halsey   Gasoline   Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Trailer                  
T-1      drewaconclusion   Xenomorph   Alien   Alien Trailer Audio   Lily C.A.T.
T-2      NoglasticNinja   Metal Gear Wafu: The Phantom Imouto   Mike Oldfield   Nuclear   Various (SFM)
T-3      Rider4Z   Deadpunch: REDBAND   Deadpool   Deadpool Trailer Audio   One Punch Man
T-4      Nekokitkat   Codename S.T.E.   College Humor   Dora the Explorer Movie Trailer Audio   Cardcaptor Sakura
T-5      SoLongDreamWorld   Lion King   Lion King   Lion King Trailer Audio   Berkserk the Golden Age (Arch 1-3)
T-6      MycathatesyouAMV   Nekos and Inus   Cats and Dogs   Cats and Dogs Trailer Audio   Various
T-7      Shorisquared   OH HELL NO: The Sensible Horror AMV   pixelspersecond   HELL NO: The Sensible Horror Film Trailer Audio   Various
T-8      Kireblue   Pokémon: Age of Mewtwo   Marvel Studios   Avengers: Age of Ultron Trailer Audio   Pokémon

Upbeat                  
U-1      King Redeem   Drink More Cola   Native Construct   Your Familiar Face   Himouto! Umaru-chan
U-2      Glitzer   Singular Strike Gentlemen   Queen   Don't Stop Me Now   One Punch Man
U-3      AntaresHeart07   VolleyMad   Royal Republic   I Must be Out of My Mind   Haikyuu
U-4      Shin   Just Funkin' Dandy   Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars   Uptown Funk   Space Dandy
U-5      Miracle Falcon   (C)Loathing   Idina Menzel, Kristin Chenoweth, Ensemble   What is this Feeling?   Kill La Kill
U-6      KeiichiFace   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ [Shrug-Emoji]   Atpunk   Sofia Lo-ren   Various
U-7      MoonieAMV   For Ritsu Lovers   Josh Steffen   Super Mario Bros DJENT Drum Cover   K-ON!, K-ON!!, K-ON! The Movie
U-8      Celia Phantomhive   Volleybot   Fitz and the Tantrums   The Walker   Haikyuu, Space Dandy

Comedy                  
C-1      BasharOfTheAges   Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Groceries in a Dungeon   Mr. B The Gentlemen Selector   Vegetables   DanMachi
C-2      Kyci   Cooking By the Book   Lazy Town   Cooking by the Book   K-ON!
C-3      AntaresHeart07   Petaloso   New Politics   Harlem   Noragami
C-4      Xophilarus   Bi Time High   Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Cast   Gettin' Bi   Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!
C-5      Gene Starwind 21122/Glory Questor   Ani-Mon   James "D Train" Williams   Poké-Rap   Various
C-6      King Redeem   Just Do It!   Enjoyker   Just Do It! (Auto-tuned)   Various
C-7      Maboroshi Studio   FREEWATCH   N/A   Baywatch Opening   Free!

Audience's Best in Show: Just Funkin' Dandy by Shin
Judge's Best in Show: Losing Control by CJEJTHEDJ

Preshow videos and the video links will be posted soon - typing this after a Red Bull too many.
(Not) The Head of FMVs

Gaki

Shorisquared was kind enough to assemble a playlist of the finalist videos! Check it out here!

Here's the pre-show vids too folks!

Digital Champions - Gabbi
Everyday Wolves - Tigrin
How to be a Human - Animator22
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes - SoLongDreamWorld
Standing on the Edge - SeanPNG
My Shot - Shodankid

I can't seem to find some of the other vids, so if you see it please give me a heads up and I'll add it to this list.

Want to thank the editors again and it was a blast to talk with some of you guys before the show! Sorry that we weren't able to get everyone's videos on screen, but the entrants, judges, and our time limits were absolutely brutal this year.
(Not) The Head of FMVs

Animator22

Hi Gaki,

I found the other Pre-Show videos. Added the YouTube links below if you like to update your previous post. Thanks again for the Playlist! Love to help you guys out next year if I can. Looking forward to next years entries!

-Animator22

Digital Champions - Gabbi - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXE1AarUfiw
Everyday Wolves - Tigris - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRKu19q7NSA
How to be a Human - Animator22
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes - SoLongDreamWorld - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-wH39Yt-6I
Standing on the Edge - SeanPNG - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_kLBf1ZMGs&list=PLECGinPOmYR1BDevdsl-Aeig0DZszyz3h&index=5
My Shot - Shodankid

Gaki

Thanks for the links Animator22. Updated the list on my post, but the one you put up for Everyday Wolves seems to be sending me to a Cowboy Bebop vid instead.
(Not) The Head of FMVs

Animator22

Quote from: Gaki on June 05, 2016, 02:03:42 AM
Thanks for the links Animator22. Updated the list on my post, but the one you put up for Everyday Wolves seems to be sending me to a Cowboy Bebop vid instead.

Oh you know what that was my bad. I remember seeing that Cowboy Bebop/Trigun crossover but I thought it was during the show but it was actually one of the top 100 AMVs that was playing in one of the rooms on Friday.

My apologies, i got that one mixed up. Now I remember that was the Wolf Children Whirlpool trailer. Some reason the title made me think of the crossover  :P.