SWAP MEET 2016 OFFICIAL INFORMATION THREAD

Started by Zelyhon, April 20, 2016, 11:12:39 AM

Zelyhon

Hello Fanime Forum users.  This is Ben Levy, your returning head of Swap Meet.  Like last year, I wanted to have a centralized thread for Swap Meet information and questions.  This is going up a bit later this year than last year, but rest assured that we are still working to make sure everything from Swap Meet runs as smoothly as possible this year.  I was quite happy with how things went last year, and we are taking some of the feedback we received into account in deciding what changes to make for this year.  Be sure to check the other official Fanime means of communication (Twitter, Facebook, site, etc.) for news, but I'll do my best to have this be a centralized location for that information.

-SWAP MEET REGISTRATION IS OPEN!:  Go here to register:

http://apps.fanime.com/2016/swapmeet/

-Swap Meet 2016 will once again be held in SOUTH HALL, the big tent-like building behind the convention center.  Go out the East side of the convention center (the Marriott side) and take a right.  It's very hard to miss.

-Swap Meet 2016 will be held on Thursday, May 26 from 7:30 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. and on Friday, May 27 from 8:00 p.m.to 1:00 a.m.

-Check-in for Sellers will begin about an hour and a half before doors open to the public.

-As we are in South Hall again this year, that means we must once again say that amplified sound will not be allowed in Swap Meet.  This is the trade-off we have to make for a larger area.  I know some people don't necessarily like the lack of music, but I think that the bigger space more than makes up for it, personally.

-Swap Meet spaces will be $40 per day per space.

-Swap Meet spaces will be 14 feet wide by 6 feet deep.

-The final floor plan for Swap Meet is being finalized, but we should still have more than enough spots for everyone, based on last year's numbers.  There might be fewer overall spaces, but we had more than enough room last year and some contingencies in place should extra space be necessary.

-The Swap Meet Seller's Agreement is in final revision, but the rules are mostly the same as last year.  There have been some changes, though, so be sure to read it over again.

-All sellers at Swap Meet must fill out both the Seller's Application form and sign the Rules and Guidelines.  Please have these ready to go prior to arriving at the convention.

-Seller's Permits were a big question last year.  Please read over the Seller Application form for more information.  Short version is if you qualify as an "occasional seller," then you simply need to fill out the Seller Application Form and mark yourself as an occasional seller.  Occasional sellers are basically people who sell no more than twice in a 12 month period, don't buy things specifically for resale, and are not selling new merchandise.  Those last two requirements are prohibited by Swap Meet rules anyways.  Be sure to look over the information and find out if you qualify as an occasional seller.  Just remember, Swap Meet staff is not your attorney, and thus cannot necessarily answer legal questions about whether your specific situation qualifies as an occasional seller.  If you think you might not qualify as an occasional seller, please follow the link on the form to get more information.  If you know you don't qualify as an occasional seller, please be sure to have a copy of your valid seller's permit for staff to look at when you check in.

I think that's most of the information I have for the moment.  If you have further questions, comments, or the like, please post them below or message me on the forums.  I'll keep up with this thread and update when I can, as well as following up on posts further down the thread.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

ash

Ecchi ja Nai

I'm sure staff is aware, but there's only 17 days until Day 0.  I don't mean to sound like one of the other posters in the forums counting down the days, every day, but it is getting pretty close.  Especially when you consider Swap Meet has been confirmed for this year, and we're supposed to get at least one day's notice before seller's registration goes up.  Just sayin'.

snowbunnie

Please give us a day notice at least before registration opens! I've waited all year for this and I'll be sad if spaces run out quickly

The Sea-Faring Otaku

Standing-By for more info on this baby. Haven't done a swap meet in a couple years, now. Seriously need to hand off some un-needed goodness.  ;D
On and Off Attendee since 2005!

R.I.P. Fanime 2020 😭

See y'all in 2021!

Zelyhon

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 09, 2016, 04:40:30 PM
I'm sure staff is aware, but there's only 17 days until Day 0.  I don't mean to sound like one of the other posters in the forums counting down the days, every day, but it is getting pretty close.  Especially when you consider Swap Meet has been confirmed for this year, and we're supposed to get at least one day's notice before seller's registration goes up.  Just sayin'.

Yes, I'm definitely acutely aware of the limited time left.  I do apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience.  We are moving as fast as we can to get the registration up.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Zelyhon

Quote from: snowbunnie on May 09, 2016, 09:55:13 PM
Please give us a day notice at least before registration opens! I've waited all year for this and I'll be sad if spaces run out quickly
That's the goal, but the closer we get the more precious time becomes.  I will say that based on the numbers for last year and the layout for this year, I don't anticipate running out of spaces.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Moonbug

Thank you, Zelyhon, for keeping us informed. Information is a beautiful thing! I look forward to the Swap Meet.

P.S.
If you are able to nudge any Fanime Powers That Be to the Art Gallery forum topic, us artists would appreciate it!  :D
Moonbug; noun; a girl named Moonbug.

...well that was lame.

www.moonbugwings.com
www.facebook.com/MoonbugsMakes

rottenrosen

Quote from: Zelyhon on May 11, 2016, 08:56:11 AM
Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 09, 2016, 04:40:30 PM

Yes, I'm definitely acutely aware of the limited time left.  I do apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience.  We are moving as fast as we can to get the registration up.

Thank you for the update! I'm just replying so I am reminded to check this thread!

If anybody would like to share space and split the fee let me know
Henry Ong
Marketing Staff
ex-3 minute film head
100%Bishounen meat
FOLLOW THE PATH OF THE SEXY COMMANDO!!!

Moonbug

Quote from: Default on May 12, 2016, 12:43:15 AM
If anybody would like to share space and split the fee let me know

Tried to PM you, but it doesn't show up in my Sent, so replying here in case it isn't working. I'm game to share and split cost on a space! Feel free to PM or email me.
Moonbug; noun; a girl named Moonbug.

...well that was lame.

www.moonbugwings.com
www.facebook.com/MoonbugsMakes

warbearer

I hope the registration does not come up 1 day before the 1st day like two years ago

Michi

Quote from: warbearer on May 12, 2016, 01:26:00 PM
I hope the registration does not come up 1 day before the 1st day like two years ago

Has it ever truly been that close? Two years ago it was a week before the con. I remember because I was at Anime Central and was unable to make it into Swap Meet that year. ><
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

warbearer

Yeah i think it was one week before two years. At a horrible location where limited number of people can get and barely made a sale.

Michi

??? Last year was the South Hall, and it was great. I can't speak for all sellers but I sold well! Two years ago was when it was at the theater space that was too small and it was too crowded.
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

warbearer

Quote from: Michi on May 12, 2016, 04:57:13 PM
??? Last year was the South Hall, and it was great. I can't speak for all sellers but I sold well! Two years ago was when it was at the theater space that was too small and it was too crowded.

Except for a dealer who caused trouble with me and tried to pin it on another dealer who refuse to comply with him.

Ecchi ja Nai

I agree with Michi, South Hall (aka the big blue tent) was an excellent location.  Probably second only to being in the convention center itself, which apparently will never happen again.

The year it was at the City National Civic Theater was the worst, location wise.  It was way too small to accommodate even a reasonable number of people at any given time for Swap Meet.  If I recall correctly, I still managed to sell pretty well, but everything I heard from people trying to get in later was that it was a huge headache.  There were definitely a lot fewer people coming in to browse because of the limited capacity, and I also noticed fewer people made multiple laps or return trips throughout the night.  Second worst location was the Fairmont, partially because of the distance from the convention center, but also because of the really confusing way sellers were spread out through multiple ballrooms.

I don't remember when seller signups went up the last couple of years.  It definitely seems like it creeps closer and closer every year, but I didn't think it's been this close to the start of the con before.

warbearer

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 12, 2016, 07:27:13 PM
I agree with Michi, South Hall (aka the big blue tent) was an excellent location.  Probably second only to being in the convention center itself, which apparently will never happen again.

The year it was at the City National Civic Theater was the worst, location wise.  It was way too small to accommodate even a reasonable number of people at any given time for Swap Meet.  If I recall correctly, I still managed to sell pretty well, but everything I heard from people trying to get in later was that it was a huge headache.  There were definitely a lot fewer people coming in to browse because of the limited capacity, and I also noticed fewer people made multiple laps or return trips throughout the night.  Second worst location was the Fairmont, partially because of the distance from the convention center, but also because of the really confusing way sellers were spread out through multiple ballrooms.

I don't remember when seller signups went up the last couple of years.  It definitely seems like it creeps closer and closer every year, but I didn't think it's been this close to the start of the con before.

I remember a parent who would leave his to cry at my space so I would give the toy to the kid for $1 until one of the staff kicked him out.

OtakuAngel87

out of curiosity what was it that you were selling that the parent was soo desperate to leave their kid there
Quote from: warbearer on May 12, 2016, 07:29:30 PM

I remember a parent who would leave his to cry at my space so I would give the toy to the kid for $1 until one of the staff kicked him out.
Fanime 2017 Cosplay Lineup(tentative):
Himouto Umaru
Mikuzukin
Hatsune Miku (original)
Sailor Moon

warbearer

Quote from: OtakuAngel87 on May 12, 2016, 09:09:01 PM
out of curiosity what was it that you were selling that the parent was soo desperate to leave their kid there
Quote from: warbearer on May 12, 2016, 07:29:30 PM

sorry misintrepid it. The father and his baby wanted to buy this toy loose http://www.tfu.info/2000/Vehicon/Mirage/mirage.htm for $1 when I was selling it for $5. The kid cried and the father refused to leave my space until I would give it to him for $1 and driving of potential customers until one of the staff told them to leave and he made excuses that I refuse to give the toy to his son for $1.