Proposal for the South Hall: Hosting a Itasha/Itansha Auto Show?

Started by kyontheotakugamer, December 19, 2016, 04:27:45 PM

kyontheotakugamer

We were wondering if it is possible for hosting a Itasha/ Itansha Auto show exhibit like the recent Anime Expo or Anime Impulse on Fanime 2017 in the South Hall. By creating a car show that show cases the people who worked hard on their vehicles to the attendees who are interested or wanting to know the process of building one. Which will bring more attendees for the con because the most of the people in the anime scene are JDM car culture enthusiast.

We've created phases scenarios how we are going to host the Itasha/Itansha Auto show event at Fanime 2017:

Phase 1: Registration for the convention:

For the people who will register their vehicles in the Exhibit, they must complete an application in the main website for us and the staff's approval, pending on reputation that the person has. Following cars that will be approve must follow Fire Marshall and convention center policies ie: Fuel must be 1/4 in tank, negative terminal unplugged from battery, carpet underneath the cars, chalk for all 4 wheels and Bike Stands before entering the South Hall building. Also must volunteer for 2 hours a day in the exhibit.

Phase 2: Auto Show Set up.

Once entering the building, we'll give 1 hour for the owners to set up the cars for the exhibit.

Phase 3: Auto Show

We let attendees inside the building to view, photo or cosplay model for the cars on Day 1-3. But the attendees must not touch the vehicles and the props that comes along with it without the owners' consent.

Phase 4: After Auto Show

We'll let the owners pack up their stuff and vehicles after the convention closes.

SquishyK

Quote from: kyontheotakugamer on December 19, 2016, 04:27:45 PM
most of the people in the anime scene are JDM car culture enthusiast.

??? well that news to me (though I'm sure there is some crossover)

It seems like an interesting idea... however... getting an event into Fanime will likely take more then posting a rough outline of what should be involved. This would have to be coordinated with a Fire Marshall (as you said), the convention facilities, the people showing cars, and might have special staffing requirements, also might involve legal issues Fanime will have to address so they can't be held liable if something happens to any of the vehicles (the same way they aren't liable if something happens to art in the artshow). The best way to get an event to happen is probably offering to coordinate with Fanime and run the event. Even then you would probably need to have experience running similar shows or develop or rapport with Fanime staff (by volunteering or becoming a staff member). Otherwise it will mean someone else will have to coordinate and run the event on top of what they already do to support Fanime. It seams to me that new programming that happens at Fanime tends to be something that a staff member is already familiar with and has an interest in running. So unless you can get really wide fan support for this, or a staff member willing to adopt this as a project, I think the odds of this happening are slim. Not to mention they already have the swap meet is South Hall on Day 0 and Day 1.

(disclaimer: I am not staff and do not speak for staff. I'm just a long time Fanime attendee)
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

eHash

just a reminder..speaking as someone who has worked with a car show at sjcc in the past (and not as a fanime staff member). sjcc is a UNION venue, meaning that (a) the owners can't drive their own cars in to south hall (a union driver has to) and (b) there is a gate fee for every car (and it's quite expensive)

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: eHash on March 21, 2017, 05:05:55 AM
just a reminder..speaking as someone who has worked with a car show at sjcc in the past (and not as a fanime staff member). sjcc is a UNION venue, meaning that (a) the owners can't drive their own cars in to south hall (a union driver has to) and (b) there is a gate fee for every car (and it's quite expensive)

Hmmm... how expensive is it compared to the usual parking fees?