♡ Cosplay Photography x You ♡

Started by attiebby, January 19, 2017, 08:30:32 PM

attiebby

Hey Fanime Cosplayers!

Update: please send an email if you want to shoot. I don't check this very often :( to [email protected]
My insta: @attie_bby
My fb page: AttieBby
My fb page has a lot of examples :))

I've been doing photography at cons and gatherings for about a year now (and I'm going to upgrade my camera for Fanime... Yay!) But I've been stuck in a small predicament: I can't go up to many people and ask for photos. At SacWinter everyone seemed to be rushing around or sitting (Viral Phrase: "Booty on the floor means photos no more" -- Is this true?) because of this, I think I took one photo of all the floor cosplayers.  I also want to start to try going to gatherings and ask people to do a minishoot with individuals or their small group. Is that too creepy or demanding?

Does anyone wanna meet up at the con for a mini-shoot by the way? Feel free to also contact me during the con too I don't mind ^^
How many shots of coffee do I need for Fanime?
Sat : MemeChan | Sun : Diglett Gjinka | Hobby Photographer

iAteTheRamen

ghoulpixel

I'll definitely schedule a photoshoot with you if you'd like once I decide on my lineup!
kal | they/them | cosplayer ♥ | (´・ω・`)
--
Fanime 2024 Lineup:
Friday - Priestess (IDV)
Saturday - Astarion (BG3)
Sunday - Gravekeeper (IDV) | Astarion (BG3) for B&W Ball
Monday - TBD

InsaneDavid

I'm always cool with someone asking, regardless of what I may be doing at the time.  Worst I can do is say no or to hold on a moment while I attend to something.  My wife and I do nothing but old and/or obscure stuff though, so it's always a pleasure when someone can address us by character name or stop us in a hall to get a shot of something they might not be able to place.  We also don't mind being asked if we "work here" when wearing Patlabor cosplay!

I don't see anything wrong with wanting to take pictures of specific groupings at gatherings - that's a big part of why they exist.  However you wouldn't want to interfere with the gathering itself (pulling people away, trying to act like a secondary organizer, etc.) and may want to get in touch with people as a gathering is drawing to a close if you're looking for specific setups.  I guess a lot of it also depends on the organizer - I was pretty relaxed in terms of what people wanted at 2016's Old School Gathering and plan on being so again this year as in my mind that gathering is to celebrate the cosplayers who carry the torch for old anime / manga / etc.

It's all part of the fun of cosplaying, although that itself is different to everyone.
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

Angelx624

If my Ouran gathering gets accepted(and if people actually show up) then you are more than welcome to shoot photos of the gathering!! ^^

Also, I wouldn't mind individual shoots, as well! What days will you be at Fanime?
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Satsuki (Totoro)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)
Mikoto Misaka

thecrazycyborggirl

I'd love to do a shoot!!
Let me know when you are available on Saturday/Sunday; if my friends feels up for doing a shoot, we can shoot our group cosplay. If not, I might just go with a costume I'm currently working on at the moment.
~ Fanime 2022 ~

attiebby

Ohmygosh thank you for your replies everyone! If you'd like a shoot, send me a message with contact details and we'll work something out. I'm a part of staff this yesr so I may not be available during peak hours.
Thank you!

I will look into going to CLAMP and Ouran Gatherings ♡

attiebby

I will be there Friday - Sunday, still debating on going Monday.

zacknini

o: This sounds awesome
If/once I get my schedule figured out I'll send you a message! C:

Nina Star 9

As for taking pictures of random people:

Pretty much as long as you ask first and they aren't obviously busy with something else, generally it's fine to ask. Just sitting and chatting with friends is usually okay. Talking on the phone, eating, crying (heaven forbid someone asks a picture when someone is crying but I've heard stories...), sitting with parts of the costume removed (thinking of larger armor builds or fursuits or the like more than sitting with their shoes off or something) or while repairing part of a costume, etc., is usually seen as rude. If they are just sitting with costume intact to take a short break, the worst they can do is say no. (And if you see someone you want to photograph who is otherwise occupied, make your rounds and come back and see if they're available.)

Fanime is a much better con for taking pictures than SacAnime, anyway. Sac doesn't really have an area where cosplayers can congregate and stand around and wait for photographers to take their picture, and photographers don't really have a place to stand around and grab cosplayers. (Some people use that second floor of the convention center, but even then, it's mostly a hangout area and walkway.) Fanime, on the other hand, has the entire area outside the entrance of the convention center open to you. Since it's a wide-open area with lots of little nooks and crannies and lots of people milling around, if you set up shop here, you won't be blocking anything, and there's tons of areas you can photograph in (especially if you like blank walls as backgrounds). There are some gatherings that take place in this area, but otherwise, cosplayers often end up hanging around underneath the sculpture, near the stairs that lead to the expansion, around the planters/bark area, or up near the convention center itself along the many walls. Pretty much anyone hanging out in this area is going to be fair game for photography, since that's why most cosplayers end up hanging around this area -- there aren't a lot of really good sitting areas around there for long-term hangouts with friends, and it's busy enough with people walking around, taking pictures, and entering/exiting the convention center that most people don't stand around there while they're doing something else (again, the caveat of "unless they are").

For taking the photos themselves, a lot of photographers will take cosplayers aside to a slightly more secluded area and do a little mini photoshoot of several poses. You can also take a few quicker snaps of cosplayers where they are. I've also had photographers who didn't have much else going on relocate to another area for an on the spot shoot (such as walking over to the Fairmont for a different backdrop). You can do this type of shoot in addition to actual pre-scheduled shoots.

Be sure to have cards with your website/FB/wherever the photos will be posted, and hand them out whenever you take a picture.

I think gatherings have already been covered.

As for scheduling shoots, I'd have to see a profile of your work and figure out my own lineup first, but I'd be willing to if your style matches up with any of my costumes. :]

attiebby

Wow that was very thorough and helpful :D
My FB is attiebby, feel free to look through my albums ^^

Angelx624

Ah, alright. I'm hoping to have the Ouran gathering on Monday, so if you're unable to make it to Monday then that's understandable. ><
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Satsuki (Totoro)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)
Mikoto Misaka

attiebby

Aww I was hoping for a Friday, I would still love to do a short session with your group if you'd like  :)

Angelx624

If you end up going Monday, sure! ^^

I'll probably ask about shoots once my schedule is more final, as gatherings and panels don't quite have dates, yet. ^^;
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Satsuki (Totoro)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)
Mikoto Misaka

Ko-tan

This sounds awesome! Would you be available Saturday or Sunday after 4pm?

attiebby

My weekend times are being filled in but I'll try to put you in as well ^^ don't forget to send contact info in my messages guys or I'll just msg you from here when the time comes lol

attiebby

My schedule is getting pretty full, I think I may have to cut a few of you off uwu if there are gatherings you guys are going to that would be great cuz I really do wanna make time for gatherings this year ^^ I'm willing to refer you guys to some photo friends of mine as well :)

attiebby

UPDATE
I have 4 hours free on Sunday, I may take 1 or 2 more :) each minkshoot is about 20 mins btw

Nina Star 9

Quote from: attiebby on January 20, 2017, 09:19:48 AM
Wow that was very thorough and helpful :D
My FB is attiebby, feel free to look through my albums ^^
No problem!

I've been going to this con for a long time, so if you have any more questions, feel free to ask :D

Angelx624

Hmm, well my Ouran gathering will most likely be Monday.
As for gatherings I'm attending, I plan to attend the Disney gathering, the Old School gathering, and the Dramatical Murder gathering.
Dates for the Disney and DMMD gathering aren't set yet, but the Old School gathering is usually Friday evening. ^^ So, if you're free Friday evening, feel free to drop by the Old School gathering!! <3 (And if you have a bit of time after, I'd love a few shots of my Kagura cosplay :) )
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Satsuki (Totoro)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)
Mikoto Misaka